Just returned after a week at Sandals Whitehouse March 22 and after some of the stuf I saw on Trip Advisor befrore going I wanted to add some balance. This is our second trip to the resort but we had not been back to a Sandals for a few years with wedddings and other family priorities. We were at the Whitehouse about three years ago and while the Sandals Grande St Lucia has been our favourite the Whitehouse is now right up there.
Lets get the negatives out of the way. The road there from the airport needs work and the drive is not pleasant and reminds me of the old road to Ocho before it was updated. That said it is less than 90 minutes and once you are there it is worth it.
The resort was full or almost full. Getting a chair at the main pool was not an issue and is where we spent most of our time. We did use the small pool a couple of days but you needed to get up early to stake out a chair if you wanted one. The other pool had the volleyball net and hence we migrated to the main pool. Lots of swim mats in all pools and towels available. The beach is great and the ocean was warm. With all the space it never felt really crowded.
Since our last visit they have added a walkway on the ocean side of the buildings and it added significantly to the pleasure of walking to the pool or to dinner from our room. We walked the long private beach and this makes the resort special with nice sand and no people or vendors trying to sell you something.
The restaurants were not a problem and Sandals have a new food manager now for a few months and it looks like he has made a difference and is addressing many of the issues that I read about. Even with conceige service and the ability to book dinner times it was not needed and we rarely used the times we booked. I think too many people forget to relax on vacation when it come to picking dinner times. We ate with another couple and our startegy was to meet at a bar for a drink. One of us would walk to a restaurant while the drinks were being made and get either a time to sit down or a person from the restaurant would offer to come and get us. We usually got a table within 15-30 minutes or less and never waited longer than 45 minutes which meant two drinks on the patio in nice chairs looking at the ocean. No big hardship.
Eleanor's gets good write ups and the food there is excellent with beef tenderloin cooked to order. Good choices at all restaurants and while some meals were better than others we had only one meal that was disappointing but not so bad that we still finished it and could easily have ordered something else or gone somewhere else if we had wanted to. Expectations at dinner are high at Sandals and we managed to put on several pounds.
The staff was friendly and the Whitehouse is a resort that I would have no problem recommending.
Phil from Mississauga
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica