“One of Sandals Best Resorts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals South Coast

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Mississauga, Canada
“One of Sandals Best Resorts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Just returned after a week at Sandals Whitehouse March 22 and after some of the stuf I saw on Trip Advisor befrore going I wanted to add some balance. This is our second trip to the resort but we had not been back to a Sandals for a few years with wedddings and other family priorities. We were at the Whitehouse about three years ago and while the Sandals Grande St Lucia has been our favourite the Whitehouse is now right up there.

Lets get the negatives out of the way. The road there from the airport needs work and the drive is not pleasant and reminds me of the old road to Ocho before it was updated. That said it is less than 90 minutes and once you are there it is worth it.

The resort was full or almost full. Getting a chair at the main pool was not an issue and is where we spent most of our time. We did use the small pool a couple of days but you needed to get up early to stake out a chair if you wanted one. The other pool had the volleyball net and hence we migrated to the main pool. Lots of swim mats in all pools and towels available. The beach is great and the ocean was warm. With all the space it never felt really crowded.

Since our last visit they have added a walkway on the ocean side of the buildings and it added significantly to the pleasure of walking to the pool or to dinner from our room. We walked the long private beach and this makes the resort special with nice sand and no people or vendors trying to sell you something.

The restaurants were not a problem and Sandals have a new food manager now for a few months and it looks like he has made a difference and is addressing many of the issues that I read about. Even with conceige service and the ability to book dinner times it was not needed and we rarely used the times we booked. I think too many people forget to relax on vacation when it come to picking dinner times. We ate with another couple and our startegy was to meet at a bar for a drink. One of us would walk to a restaurant while the drinks were being made and get either a time to sit down or a person from the restaurant would offer to come and get us. We usually got a table within 15-30 minutes or less and never waited longer than 45 minutes which meant two drinks on the patio in nice chairs looking at the ocean. No big hardship.

Eleanor's gets good write ups and the food there is excellent with beef tenderloin cooked to order. Good choices at all restaurants and while some meals were better than others we had only one meal that was disappointing but not so bad that we still finished it and could easily have ordered something else or gone somewhere else if we had wanted to. Expectations at dinner are high at Sandals and we managed to put on several pounds.

The staff was friendly and the Whitehouse is a resort that I would have no problem recommending.

Phil from Mississauga

Room Tip: All room have some ocean view. I think French section is the farthest from the main pool and the res...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank Phil G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,000)
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was our second trip to Whitehouse, our first being last May. May is the start of the rainy season, and we did get rain for about 4 or 5 afternoons last year. This year we went March 2 - 16, not the rainy season, and we ended up getting rain 12 out of 14 days. It was mostly afternoon, and once was late in the evening, but it was disappointing. At least most mornings were beautiful. If you plan to get married here, you should do it in the morning for a better chance of good weather.
I'll start with the negative. Service could be very slow at times, especially at Bayside for dinner. My husband asked for more wine and she never came back with it. We found there were many times we had to ask for more wine. Our first trip to Sandals Hicacos in Cuba had much better service. Our wine and water glasses rarely got below half empty before they came and refilled them. They left the wine in ice next to the table, but they still came along before we needed to pour it ourselves. I guess we were expecting this kind of service again. But it wasn't bad enough to keep us away. Sometimes we had to wait a while for the main course, but there was nowhere else we had to be anyway.
There were a couple days there were no face cloths and I had to use the end of a hand towel to wash my face. But our room was always kept clean.
Water pressure was a little low a couple times, but it didn't stop completely like it did once last year.
The only other negative, which really isn't the resort itself, was the sand fleas. We've been to Cuba 4 times and the DR twice, but this is the only place I've got bitten by sand fleas. And we spend all our time at the beach wherever we go. Maybe all the rain was a factor.
We still love this resort. It's very beautiful all around, the grounds and the beach. We ate at all the restaurants more than once and never had a bad meal, except my husband wasn't too fond of the beef tenderloin at Eleanor's. We skipped most desserts in the restaurants and went to the cafe instead. I tried a crepe on our last night, very nice and I'm glad I didn't try it earlier! As it was, I ate too much chocolate soft serve and too many little goodies!
If you don't have butler service, you may have to wait to get seated at the restaurants, especially if you go around 8pm. But you just leave your room number and go for a drink at the martini bar and they'll get you when your table is ready. We did this a few times, and the wait usually wasn't very long. One guy got pissed when he couldn't get a table right away and walked out saying it was the 6th time. All he had to do was leave his name and he probably would've been seated in 20 minutes or less. Some people need to be more patient!
The beach is beautiful, tho the water wasn't as calm and clear as last year. The second week was getting better. We saw a couple star fish again. If you go on the pier in the mornings you may see a few stingrays. Someone from the bar did visit the beach a few times to take drink orders. A couple times they just came with a tray with water and beer and asked if anyone wanted some.
We stayed in the French Village, same as last year. We like to stay there, it makes us have to walk more, and after all the trips to the cafe, we needed to walk as much as possible!
The firepits are nice, but because of all the rain, the seats around them were wet most evenings. The new walkway, which was just about finished on the day we left, is very nice too. There are a few more palapas than last year, but they still need more. We had to get up 5:30 to get one, and even then I had to walk past a few before finding one a couple mornings. Yes there are lots of chairs on the beach, but if you want shade, which my husband does, you really do have to get up early. Plus the palapas come in handy when the rain comes!
Overall, a beautiful resort, friendly staff, good food, and it's nice being the only resort on the beach. Tho this will soon change when they build a Beaches next door.

Room Tip: All beach view, but first level may be blocked in places, we prefer top floor. French farthest from...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cinster
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We've been to Sandals La Toc in St-Lucia and Sandals Grande in Ocho Rios and this is the best of all three. The bus ride to get to the resort is a bit rough, it is 1:30, but we did like going through the villages and seeing the local lifestyle. The resort is beautiful, with nice trees and flowers, and it is very clean. We loved the village feel where the restaurants are located. The food at all the restaurants is good, but our favorite for supper was Guiseppes (italian). The beach is very nice and clean, but you have to reserve your chairs early if you want to be under and umbrella. We spent one day around a pool, and did not really like it, as there were drunk guys at the bar in the pool that were loud and obnoxious, they even got into a fight. So we spent the rest of our time on the beach, much more relaxing. The room was nice and clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The service at the bars was very decent, but in the restaurants, it is slow. Especially at the Cafe de Paris, but the coffee was so great, it was worth the wait. We loved our trip there and would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank gdang
PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

For my honeymoon my husband spet hours planing a romantic getaway Unfortunatly he made the mistake of booking it at SWH. Right from the start it was bad the bus ride was an hour and a half bumpy and very very uncormfortable we couldn't even sit together. We had a nice room with a great veiw of the ocean but it was dirty and unkept. We tried to get breakfast in bed and they told us no. The staff was rude everywhere we went. My husband surpried me with a couples massage and half day treatment. ( which was not cheap) and during our alone time in the hot tub some guy walked in on us turned on the light and wanted to clean the room. He left but it killed the relaxation for us. When we told them about it they just chickled and said the forgot to put a flower on the door that told them people were in the room. WTF really not even an appology. We tried to go snorkeling and when we went to the area they told us they were full to come back tomorrow and that we should have made reservations ( when we called about making reservations to snorkel they told us we didn't need them to just come down) when we told the girl we were leaving in the morning she said well I guess I can let you go on the boat. The boat wasn't even half full after our snorkel we went to lunch there were all these large bird swarming around I love animals of all kinds so I tried to get on to come close so I could get a great picture. Of course I used my soggy french fries that I wasn't going to eat to do this. Well it really worked he hopped right up on the table and ate from my hand i was thrilled then the server came over and started yelling at me for feeding the birds telling I'm not allowed to do that and freaking out about how she has to clean up the food that they spill. I was shocked i have never been talked to in that manner. Over all our trip was so bad we complained to Sandles and they sent us a voucher for 4 days in the resort for free. We hated it so much we never used it, it went right in the trash not even a free vacation would make us go back. But by far the worst part wasn't even at the resort it was the Sky caps at the airport on the way home. They made us get in a long line and then make you pay them to let you in to check in for your fliht. The couple behind us would pay and they missed thier flight. Crazy I'll just stay away from Jamacia.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank PatriotsPa
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

We’ve just returned from 18 days in Jamaica split between Sandals Royal Caribbean, Sandals Negril and Sandals Whitehouse. At SWH we had booked a Penthouse Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge room and were upgraded upon arrival to a Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Concierge Suite on the top floor of the Italian Village.

ARRIVAL
Since we were arriving from another Sandals resort, we had been provided complimentary transportation to SWH and arrived at the resort at 11:45am. As our room was not yet ready, we had lunch at Neptunes and wandered around for a bit to say hi to various staff members.

ROOM
Our room was nice and bright with extra windows and a great view. We've stayed in the Italian Village before, but not on the top floor, so we were very happy with the view and location. This was the first time we've booked concierge level at the resort...we've always been very happy with a standard category room...and the concierge staff, Nadine in particular were outstanding at assisting us.

FOOD
We found the food to be very good in every restaurant. We aren't lovers of Jasmines, so did not dine there, but over 9 nights we hit all the remaining restaurants, some more than once. Eleanors remains our favourite...the menu changed while we were there, so we had a chance to eat off both the old and the new. We love having lunch at Bluefields...the service was slower than we've noticed in the past, but we totally enjoy the leisurely pace, so not an issue for us. We have no complaints at all about the service or food at any restaurant. I am totally blaming Cafe de Paris for the weight gain this time....each morning I had an ice cream fix and of course topped it up with 2 freshly baked chocolate chip cookies!

BEACH
We are beach walkers/waders and not beach swimmers. We love the beach at Whitehouse...private, long and clean. We saw plenty of empty loungers on our twice daily walks. I realize that others have complained at not finding chairs...from our observation there were plenty of loungers vacant and I wonder if those who have complained are simply upset that a particular location was not available to them. As at any resort, the early risers will get their choice of location.

POOLS
The pools at Whitehouse are our favourite of any Sandals resorts. We did spend some time at the French pool (very social and active) but spent most of our days at the main Riviera pool where I took part in aquafit every time it was offered. We noticed very few floatie hogs this time...most people seemed to be very courteous with the floats...using them and then leaving them on the deck for others. The same held true for the loungers...there were a few which appeared to be reserved, but were never used, and the pool staff were good at releasing them for other guests. The Daily Breeze newspaper has now published a guideline for reserving of loungers and mentions that items will be removed if chairs have not been used for two hours. I kept a pretty good observation of most areas (beach and pools) during our stay, and I was pretty happy with what I saw. Yes, there might be difficulty if you only came to the pool at 10:00am to get a chair. But even at 8:30-9:00am most days, I saw at least 15-20% of the seating available (umbrellas too) around the main pool, and plenty of seating available at the beach. At the main pool, a rolled up towel does not mean a lounger is taken...it is placed there by the pool staff for your convenience. It appeared that some people thought these were occupied seats, as we often spoke up to let them know the seats were available.

Pool side drink service was also available and convenient for those who didn't wish to leave their loungers to go to the bar.

BUGS
The resort sprays at night and early morning. I never get bites when we travel but hubby does...he managed to get a grand total of 5 bites this trip.

FITNESS CENTRE
ok, I looked in it but didn't use it this time :) There is talk that there will be renovations coming to the fitness centre/aerobics studio/squash courts.

STAFF
Management is far more visible than I've ever noticed in previous stays. Heather Boothe (Director of Guest Services) and Kwashie Ghedemah (Operations Manager) were out and about mingling and talking with guests throughout the day, as well as pitching in to help wherever they were needed. Kwashie did a great job seating guests for breakfast at Bayside one morning! Jeffrey Burke (Sales Manager) has taken to Sandals Whitehouse (coming from Sandals Negril) like a duck to water and I believe he spent more time asking and absorbing feedback from his guests than he did working behind his desk. Hands-on all the way. We were very happy, elated in fact to see Neil McLeish back at SWH. This man was greatly missed last year in the food and beverage area and it was like old times to see him smoothly taking control to ensure great service. Carl Bevier (GM) was away for most of our stay, but we heard from many staff that morale is up and staff are happy with his leadership.

As usual it was great to connect with Damian and Errol at the main pool...these guys not only keep things running smoothly, they ensure all the pool guests are well taken care of. Earl (Mgr at Eleanors) is a true gentleman and his humbleness belies the fact he manages one of the most popular restaurants at the resort. Nadine in the concierge office was extremely helpful and always went out of her way to ensure our needs were met.

These are only some of the management and staff who enrich our experience at Whitehouse. To a tee...each staff member, even the construction guys who were working on completion of the beach walkway, acknowledge your presence with a smile and hello.

EXCURSIONS
Please consider the Reading Road Trip...such a rewarding experience and a small way to give back to the locality while you are vacationing. We were driven to a local school where we sat outdoors in small groups to read, colour and interact with a group of students (age 3-6). They were so open to learning (though at that age, hard to keep their attention!) and gave us a nice send-off with songs and thanks. We had brought along a number of items to donate to the school...soccer balls, various books for the library, crayons, pencils, sharpeners and erasers for which the principal was extremely appreciative. We also participated in the Reading Road Trip in St. Lucia in January, and by far, these school visits were a highlight of both trips.

The only glitch on our vacation at SWH was the Pelican Bar excursion which we had booked prior to our trip. Upon arrival at the resort, we had confirmed with the Island Routes desk that our names were down for the excursion. The day before the excursion, we went to the Island Routes desk to find out when and where we were to meet the next morning. We were told that the excursion had been switched and had already departed that very morning and that a message had been left in our room advising us of the change. We had not received a voicemail message and we could see that our names had not been checked off in the book confirming we had been called. Though we were refunded for the trip, we were very disappointed as it means we have to wait another year to go to the Pelican Bar.

We also took the Platinum and Diamond level guest catamaran cruise.

MISCELLANEOUS:
- At the time of our trip, the beach front walkway was completed all the way to the end of the Italian Village. It is a great addition for those who have mobility issues, as well as for those who are dressed up in the evening and wish to have a beach front walk to the restaurants. Be advised that some (only some) of the ground floor rooms might be a tad closer to pedestrian traffic than they might wish. I didn't see it as an issue at all.

- we attended two Returnee Dinners during our stay. We have always enjoyed the Returnee Dinners at SWH as they are among the best of any Sandals resort. But this time they really missed the boat. The first week was embarrassing...approx 2/3 of the tables emptied before even being presented their gift bottle of rum. The second week was much better, but with room for improvement. The food was great, but wine service was almost non-existent. We didn't even have wine glasses on the table and so started our meal with water. Some folks left the table to get wine at an outdoor bar to bring back to the table. C'mon SWH...you can do better! A nice touch was the presentation of gifts (Sandals picture frames) for Diamond level members.

- be advised that a 12.5% service charge applies to spa services. This can be considered a gratuity which is divided among the spa staff to ensure equity. I utilized the spa twice and did still provide an additional gratuity to the staff (my choice...some do not feel the need to do so). This 12.5% service fee is not included in any spa credit...you must pay it over and above your spa credit (can be charged to the room). Also, the complimentary hydro therapy offered to platinum and diamond members includes the service fee.

- the new fire pits and seating area outside of Bayside are a fantastic addition both for daytime and evening! They are so comfortable, I actually fell asleep in one of the fire pit loungers while listening to live music on the beach one evening.

- our room included room service which was always delivered within 5 minutes of their estimated time.

- yes, the road to and from the resort has potholes. This is not an issue Sandals can correct. The ride is still worth it in my opinion.

- SWH has a departure lounge which includes showers, washrooms, hairdryers and lockers. Easy and convenient if you have a late departing flight.

- Starting in April (tentative date) all rooms will be refurbished (tv's, bedding, soft furnishings) starting with butler category rooms and moving across the resort with completion intended by year end.

- The Greg Norman golf course is supposed to be started this year, well in advance of the building of the new Beaches resort which will be located closest to the French Village side.

- There is talk of a Cricketers Pub coming to SWH!

SUMMARY
Once again SWH provided us a vacation which exceeded our expectations. I don't know how they do it! But rest assured we will be back....sooner hopefully than later!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank travelpair55
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

let me start by saying this is our 2nd trip to SWH. we've also been to sandals dunn's river (X2), and sandals Antigua, with a trip already planned to sandals la toc next feb. we are actually considering making the next stay a split stay between st lucia and antigua bc we love and miss the island and more importantly the amazing staff who we still keep in contact with in antigua.

my husband and I just returned this past Friday from a 10 night stay at SWH. we have beeen there before (2 yrs ago) and many of the staff recognized us. we are a young cpl too (i'm 27 & my hubby is 29...almost 30 ) we had a great time! this was our 5th sandals trip and i will say that alothough SWH is one of our favs, it is def the most layed back resort as far as entertainment and activities go. SWH is up on a secluded mountain, which is a big reason some ppl go there....no one around to bother you. the downfall of this of course is excursions are pretty far away. i don't know about you, but even staying 10 nights i didn't want to have to get back on a bus for a hr or 2 both ways to go anywhere. we did decide to take the cat boat to the pelican bar. this tour runs wed & fridays. it was the best trip EVER! so much fun.

Pelican bar:
you leave the resort at 930am and cruise about 30mins to the snorkeling site. you can snorkle, just swim, or stay on the boat. once everyone gets back on board the bar opens and you cruise about an hr to the pelican bar. it's quite the experience and we are so glad we went! bring some $$$ w/ you, but not much is needed. everything, drinks and snacks, are included on the boat. you will only need $$$ for beer at the pelican bar ($4 for a bottled red stripe, pretty much all they have. you won't be getting a mixed frink, although i believe they did have some rum for shots) and food if you choose. however....i will say one couple ordered a fresh fish to be cooked and it came whole (head & tail on, bones and skin still there). not my cup of tea...although some may like it i suppose. the couple took one look at it and left it there LOL. there really isn't a place to get souvineers. there is usually a person setup selling random little things and they do have tshirts, but nothing we were interested in. make sure yo ask to meet Floyd. he is the owner and he'll come pose w you for a pic. it is very small! watch your step...nothing is even. it's literally a bunch of driftwood nailed together, but that's the fun of it! DISCLAIMER: if you get seasick, this probably isn't the tour for you. the way out tends to be very bummy. it was a clear, sunny day and we enjoyed the ride, but i could def see how some people could be sensitive to it. we both took dramamine before we got on. we always bring a medicine closet with us just in case bc the gift shop is soooo pricey! you never know! the trip was $70pp and like i said we left at 930am and were bk by about 3. we did have lunch plans, but never made them. ended up passing out until 7pm. we woke up and thought it was the am...apparently we had too much fun!

i have never had a problem with sand fleas, however, this yr i was bitten several times. i had some nasty welts that lasted the whole trip and i barely went near the beach. we walked the beach one day with my feet in the water, about ankle deep, and i did get stung by a jellyfish. last trip here 2 yrs ago we went snorkeling and all i saw was jellyfish...there seem to be more than normal on this part of the island, so be careful. it's not a good time! been 1.5 weeks and i still have 3 welts around my ankle that are puffy and itchy!

all the restaurants are pretty good!

guiseppis: this is the italian one and i'd say if you're italian, i wouldn't go for the italian food lol. it is very good for their steak! best steak i got all trip! the pizza there during the day is decent. just make sure you ask for it well done, as they tend to undercook it. also allow for 40 mins or so for the pizza, they tend to be pretty slow. make sure if you go there you ask for Darren to wait on you...he's the best!

eleanors: we went there, but it wasn't very memorable. i will say Venny is a great waiter tho! also you have to visit Venny's girlfriend Alee upstairs at the martini bar, more on that later. def try it though! they alsoserve breakfast a la cart style. we didn't try it for breakfast bc we heard so many ppl complain about how slow it s, besides the buffet is great! plenty of options....plus you just want to eat and get to the pool/beach right?!

Bayside: buffet breakfast=amazing, buffet style lunch is good depending on the menu, which changes daily. if you're not sure go in and take a look at the selections before you wait to get seated. dinner was good too. they host the thursday night buffet outside the front. this is the ONLY time you will get lobster!!!! this is my gripe from the last trip.i was able to get lobster tail every night at the restaurants and this yr the only time you can get it is at thatoutside buffet. AND...get there fairly early bc everyone waits for thursday to get lobster. if you go after 730-8 you probably won't get any, they run out fast! i do highly rec. the beach and this buffet (can't remember the name of this one, musta had too many very dirty bananas ).

Jasmines: we didn't try this one on the last trip at all bc it didn't look appealing to me, but my hubby insisted on trying it this yr and we didn't regret it! it was very tasty!!!

Neptunes: YUMMY! great seafood dishes. i had the steak here and it's no where near as yummy as guiseppis. get the greek salad! it's awesome! i was a little taken back when i 1st got it (there was all veggies, no lettace), but it was the best thing i got all week! i got it for lunch all the time! they are obvi open for lunch, but most of the time i'd just go and order french fries to go!

Bluefields: down by the french pool. it was okay for burgers and fries, but this is where you NEED to get jerk chicken! DELISH!

this brings me to the pools. we always book the lowest category room...we're never in it long. at this resort in particular, with the exception of butler suites, all of the rooms are pretty similar. we ended up in the french building, which has the party pool. great bartenders, say hi to maxwell and kevin! they'll take care of you well!!! i miss them already! they also play pool volleyball here daily around 11. my hubby would go straight there after breakfast and i usually stayed at the main pool for aquasize. gotta burn some calories after all the eating and drinking! the main poolis nice, but very quiet. unless you are looking for absolute quiet, don't bother w the dutch pool! the ppl there are there for quiet. it's an unspoken rule that there is no talking, jumping or splashing at the pool, ect. a little too stuck up for me.

the gym has been redone and is very nice. they have also added some great exercise classes that i took advantage of and really enjoyed.

on to the important stuff...THE BARS!!! we spent most nights this time at the martini bar! usually we'd go there before dinner and have cheese and crackers, nachos, and apps (they have them up there when they open at 6pm until like7-730 every night) they have a piano sing along every night but sunday, and kareoke mondays. the bartenders make the experience even better! be sure to say hi to anthony, alee, & daishalee, they are awesome! they usually close at 2, but there were a few nights we didn't leave until after 3am
last yr we spent a lot of time at the outside bar next to neptunes. that can be a lotof fun too!

entertainment: we didn't attend a lot of things this yr. we did go to the talent show, which was wayyy shorter this yr than in yrs past. the entertainment staff are wonderful. one of my favorite's from the old sandals dunn's river works there now...we were excited to see him! make sure when you see shane at the talent show you tell him he has to do ray charles! he'll know what you mean! cheldon does a great michael jackson skit! i did a lot of day entertainment. i would rec. the cooking class with chef laire...he is the head chef. it is about 45 mins or so and he shows you how to make some good jamaican dishes and even gives you a print out of the recipes! plus his email addy is on there so you can always email him for recipes later that you loved! we went to one other late night show and came in late. they were just looking fo volunteers so the staff convinced us as well as 7 other couples to participate. we weren't told ahead of time what we were volunteering for...well let's just say my hubby ended up in my bra and leopard dress (thank god i was wearing a strechy dress LOL) and i ended up in his clothes! good time! LOL.

something i want to touch on that i haven't seen anyone else do is guest relations. i don't think a lot of people realize that you can request to take employees to dinner and drinks or breakfast with you, depending on their shift. i say this bc the staff we took had never gotten asked before. last time we even had an employee come in and spend the whole day with us on his day off. this yr we ended up taking maxwell and kevin to dinner on our last night and then we all headed up to the martini bar for drinks and dancing. guests are allowed to do this with any employee as long as they aren't on the clock. all you have to do is get their name (you will need 1st and last name for the front gate if they are leaving after their shift to change and come back, if they are just going to stay after their shift the 1st name is all they need) and call the front desk and ask to be connected to guest services and they will get the info and then they're all set. it's a nice way to show you're appreciation to the staff that has taken such great care of you during your stay! they work very hard for very little money. they were so appreciative and couldn't stop thanking us. they were both excited to get salmon at guieppes. they said salmon is too expensive and that they never get a chance to eat it. i would say that that night was the highlight of our trip. so if you get the chance, please consider doing this. it was really greatto be able to give something back to the people who has made our trip so special. our only regretis that we waited until the last night and hadn't done it a cpl more nights with some of the other staff!

geez...i think i'm going to have to copy this and put it in the review section! LOL
feel free to ask any q's. there is so much info i just tried to highlight what stood out to me.

Room Tip: all the rooms here are the same inside, with the exception of location (3 buildings) and suites. the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JENNA G
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We went to Sandals Whitehouse for our honeymoon last June/July 2011 (just recently signed up to write reviews on tripadvisor). We went for 10 days which was a bit too long as we found there wasn't enough to do. This is a remote resort. The bus ride from the airport was not a big deal. I actually liked seeing the country I was visiting and the bus trip allows for some of that. Service: We booked a concierge honeymoon suite. It may be different in the high-season but don't waste you money on conceirge service during the time of year we went. They were useless. We were supposed to have champaigne upon arrival--never happened. We had to ask several times for this service. We didn't need to make reservations for meals and we ended up booking our excursions on our own. Most of the staff was helpful and cheery but there were some who just seemed to not like their jobs or the tourists. Dissapointing.
Room: We had the honeymoon suite. It was ok. I expected more considering the price. The floor had sand and pebbles on the tile in one area. The room was musty smelling and there were little bugs running along the baseboard and wood furniture. Ants would come at the drop of any food or anything sweet dropped on the balcony. Turn down service was late and persistent despite us telling them we were not interested. On more then one occasion we were not given face cloths and told there were not available. I don't think they change the sheets very often either. On a different note, the view from our room was awesome--ocean view.
Resort: We were in the italian village which was central to the main pool and most restaurents. The Jamaican restaurant is further down the resort but worth the walk as it is on the beach and has a great view. We did a romantic dinner on the beach-a bit overpriced but the experience is worth it. We enjoyed hanging out at the main pool. The bar tenders are great.
Beach: The beach is nice. It is long enough that you can go for a nice walk. I hear about problems with sand fleas. I didn't stay on the beach too often but when I did, I just applied some bug repellent and never had problems. Don't expect anyone to bring you a drink when you are on the beach.
Trips: We did two excurions: the black river, YS falls, and appleton trip as well as the Negril shopping excursion. We loved the black river, YS, etc. trip. It was a full day but it was fun. It was a small group of us which also made it nice. The Negril trip made me happy that we chose the Whitehouse over the Sandals Negril resort. When in Negril we went to the local craft marken which was a bit hair raising. The vendors can be aggressive and its easy to get separeted from your group so try to keep an eye on each other.
Food: Like I mentioned ealier, we had no problem getting into restaurants. The food is really good at this resort. Neptunes is right by the ocean and serves great seafood. The breakfest buffet is open early which is nice. The coffee/pastry shop has great drinks and treats. Martini bar is worth a visit.
The weather at this time of year was pretty good. Towards the end of our stay, storms started to come in at the end of the day. We would probably go back but not for 10 days and not in a conceirge suite. I guess I expected more for the money that we paid for this trip. Despite the cons, it was an enjoyable honeymoon. It is a very beautiful country.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
#8 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,082 reviews
44.6 km away
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!