“We loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Pennsylvania
“We loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

We stayed at the Sandals Whitehouse and loved it. The grounds were beautiful and the staff was super nice and friendly. We especially loved the French Bartenders, Anthony aka Tony Montana, Kumar and Michael. They were awesome and all deserve a raise. We met our friends there and met many other people who were all out to have a good time. Great weather, great people and a great time. The food was very good, though the portions were small. If you were really hungry, you could order two entrees. The deserts from the Cafe were wonderful and the drinks were great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If you take some time to chat with them and find out what their lives are like, they are happy to share their stories. It was very interesting. The beach was fabulous and the weather even better. The drive over was not bad at all. It was interesting seeing the country side and our bus driver was very funny and made the ride interesting. I would recomend it if you want to get away from the dreary winter weather and have some fun in the sun. You could do as little or as much as you wanted to do. The gym was the only disappointment for me. At the start of the week there were only 3 treadmills and no bikes. They did add a 4th treadmill but they need more and also need to add a few bikes to the mix. Not everyone wants to run on a treadmill.

6 Thank SonsofAnarchy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,027)
Rochester Hills, Mich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

My wife and I stayed at Sandals Whitehouse for 10 nights and had another great experience at a Sandals resort were the weather was perfect and the beach was warm and clean. The employees were friendly and always trying to make you more comfortable. We stayed in the Dutch village where the room was spacious, clean and a sunset view that is indescribable. If you are hungry and enjoy good food you can not go wrong with the variety of restaurants (7). When preparing to dine be patient as there may be a wait due to a no required reservations policy. For us the only negative comment I have is the 90 minute ride from the airport and really not that bad due to the driver keeping us entertained.

J & D
Rochester Hills, Michigan

6 Thank jmarkosky818
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

Everything was very good except that the Fitness Room needs some upgrading. More elipticals and aerobic bicycles would enhance the quality of the program.
The rooms are large and the decor is nice. The mattresses are extremely comfortable. The staff is excellent and quick to respond to any requests.
The restaurants were good and menu selections were adequate.
This was our second visit to this resort and we liked it as much as our first time.

5 Thank CatLady1229
Greenville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

My husband and I traveled to Sandals Whitehouse for our 1 year anniversary. I so wanted to love Sandals because I've always heard great things about the resort. However, I was disappointed. I actually was really sad the first couple of days because it did not live up to what we expected. We kept comparing it to our Punta Cana vacation to the Gran Bahia Prinicpe Ambar which was great! I heard so much about Sandals that I just knew it would be better but it was not. Gran Bahia was a luxurious resort but Sandals was just average. I don't want to come across too negative because after I got over the initial shock we had a great time. I really am not a picky person. I think I am an average lady. I am a special education teacher so I don't think I am "all that". I was just disappointed. We treated everyone with respect so I guess that's we loved the people. We met a lot great friends while we were vacationing.

The Trip to the Resort:
We loved it because we got to see the real Jamaica. We stopped at a restaurant on the side of the road for a rest stop. My hubby and I got the real jerk chicken and it was great!

The rooms:
The rooms are very average. We stayed in the French Village but on the end right next to the Dutch. All of the rooms are pretty much the same except if you get a Butler suite. The rooms are not 5* but I consider them 3* at best. The balcony was so tiny. During our honeymoon all the rooms had huge balconies with couches. The couch in the room look like it should be in a 2* hotel. The bathroom had a small tub with the shower in it. In Punta Cana we had a whirlpool tub with a separate shower. We also had pillow service where we got to choose from different scented pillows. Of course, Sandals whitehouse does not offer this pillow service.

Beach- The beach was okay. It was rocky in front of the Dutch Village. The water was very murky at the shoreline. There was a lot of seaweed that was on the beach. The beach never felt crowed. I wish they had the straw papalas.The water sports were great! We loved sailing and the kayaks.

Restaurants- The service was so slow and the food at the buffets were okay. It is an all inclusive so that is to be expected. The buffet food is never going to be hot but it's edible. You will find something you like. The pizzas were great at Guispess (Italian). We loved Jasmines. I can't remember the name of the dish but it is the chicken dish(first on the menu) and it was delicious. Eleanors was good but it was not fine dining. The decor was average. It was nothing like the elegant restaurants in Punta Cana. Oh, I got food poisoned at Bayside for supper one night. I never get sick to the point where I vomit. However, after I ate the shrimp I threw up for 7 hours. I missed out on the white party/chocolate party because I was sick.

Grounds- We were not impressed with the grounds. At our previous resort there was no dead leaves on the ground. All of the plants, flowers and palm trees/other trees were living. The grounds were perfect so we were so sad to see dead leaves all over the place and dead plants. Again, we were comparing to our other previous experience. The grounds were pretty in main area around the main pool but everywhere else they weren't great. I know some people may disagree but it's all about what you've experienced. If we had never been to Gran Bahia in Punta Cana then we may have loved Sandals.

Entertainment- The martini bar was nice. The play makers were great. We loved Christian and Sasha Day. They were the best play makers ever! We did participate in a few games and had so much fun. The shows in the La Caberet were fun to go to at night. We loved looking at the drunk people dance...too funny!

Tours- Being that we were so sad about being at Sandals we went off the resort on 3 occasions. We went to YS falls which was great! The water was freezing at the falls. We also went on the Negril shopping tour. The beach at Sandals Negril was great. During this tour we went to Ricks Cafe which was awesome. We also took a taxi to "the Borders" which was a local market right up the street. We had a taxi driver named Davon. He was the best. He took us up the mountains where we got to meet a great Doctor that let us in his house. Davon was very intelligent and knew a lot about Jamaica. He didn't charge us extra for that ride to the extra places. We loved Davon! He is the best taxi driver in Jamaica.

I would not recommend Sandals to any of my friends. However, it depends on what you like. We like going to a luxurious resort and Sandals is not a 5* resort. If you like partying and getting drunk then this is your place. If you just want an average beach hotel then this is your place. We paid the same money at our previous resort and got so much more. Again, this may be the resort for you but it all depends on your expectations. We had a blast but I will not being going to Sandals again. Everyone we talked to that had been to other Sandals said that SWH was the best so obviously Sandals is not for us.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BriaNicole
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

The resort was beautiful. The grounds were immaculate, as were the rooms. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. I heard nightmares about the bus ride to the resort, but it was actually a fun ride. We had a corner concierge room on the fourth floor of the Italian Village. Beautiful views of the sunrise and sunset right from our room .

The food was good, (although the number of entrees could have been greater) and the wait time for the restaurants was minimal. The ocean was somewhat cloudy and had seaweed by the Italian section, however the farther down the beach you went the clearer the water was.

I'm aware the resort just reopened, however I saw no signs of ongoing renovations. Some reviews indicated there was a shortage of staff but the only place I noticed that was around the pool, very little bar service, you needed to get your own drinks. However, that was not a problem, as most of our time was spent in the water near the pool bar. Although the resort was full, it's so spread out it never seems crowded.

We travel to the Carribean several times a year and this was one of the nicest places I have stayed at.

4 Thank vacationboundNj
Cedar Rapids Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

My wife, Jill, two friends and I stayed from Jan. 23-30th. A little background...Jill and I have been traveling the Caribbean for over twenty years as well as Hawaii. We have been to many all-inclusives as well as regular hotels and condos. Thus, we have a lot of experience in terms of making comparisions.
SWH was a great experience. Here is a breakdown by category.
Location: 1.5 hours from Mo. Bay. Be prepared and just accept the fact if you go to SWH you will be in the bus a while. Enjoy the ride and see the countryside. The hotel itself is on a point so there is a lot of beach. There were no other hotels or businesses nearby.
Beach area: As mentioned, a beautiful white sand beach, gentle slope and plenty wide for walking, @2 miles in length. Three roped off areas for wading into the ocean. Appeared to be free of sea weed. The only roped area we walked in was all sand. No significant tides for bogey boards, etc. We walked the beach each day (saw no nudity for those who have inquired recently).
Rooms: There are three hotels. The Italian section has the largest rooms and balconies and is closest to resturants and other activities. The Dutch and French are the other sections. Total capacity is just over 700 and during the last week of January the hotel was either at or near capacity. Rooms were well kept. Every room is ocean view but you probably would not leave your sliding doors open if staying on the first floor.
Grounds: well manicured with the usual array of tropical flowers you would expect at a top hotel.
Pools: Three large ones, each with a whirlpool. The pool near the Italian section was the largest. Most organized activities were held there. The "Dutch" pool was the quietest and the "French" pool was the noisiest and had the busiest bar.
Food and beverages: One of the items that sets Sandals apart from some other ALs is the quality of food and brand label alcohol. There were four theme resturants. Resturant themes included, oriental, italian, mediterrainean(seafood) and french. There is a beautifully located daytime, Jamaican resturant called Bluefields for those who want a great view of the ocean while lunching. The food at all the establsihments was excellant. A word of caution, the dining experience is designed to last about 1.5 hours so plan accordingly. There is a buffet style resturant for those wanting to eat quickly. Two other spots deserve a mention. The maritini bar is a great place for a night cap, with a very good piano player on "sing along" nights. There is a small pastry shop with great coffee, wonderful finger pastries and excellant ice cream.
Entertainment and nightlife: The attractions were uneven in quality, some good, all typical of a caribbean resort. After 10:30, things quiet down very quickly. SWH does not offer any "wild and crazy" entertainment one might find elsewhere. The snorkling was very good if you take the free boat trip to the reef. We enjoyed the hobie sailboats. Other water sports were also offered as well as the typical pool games during the day.
Service:I have saved SWH strongest quality for last. I have read a few reviews where some had a bad experience. The four in our group were always happy with the service. From the waiters, bartenders and housekeepers, right down to the four new Indian interns, it was always "service with a smile". Sandals lets you know they appreciate your business and they make sure you know they want you to come back.
Overall impressions: Great service, excellant food and drink, above average rooms, grounds and beach and pools. Average entertainment. A stay at SWH will leave you with the desire for a return trip. While everyone seems to have a special "server" they feel warrants a special thank you, I want to mention four who made my stay particularly memorable; Earl at Eleanors, Cheryl at the Italian pool, Bala at Bluefields and especailly Joshini, who seemed to be everywhere. Feel free to contact me directly if you have questions....Larry

5 Thank HerkytheHawk
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

This is our second time at Sandals Whitehouse and again it was perfect. The staff, the room, the dining, the grounds and yes the weather. I can not say enough good things about the resort. I returned on Saturday and Monday booked for next year. Taking friends this time.

2 Thank RAMDAM1
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,153 reviews
44.6 km away
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!