“Please, please let this be a one-off bad experience”
Review of The Alma Inn

The Alma Inn
Reviewed 1 January 2012

I've always had a special place in my heart for the Alma - it has everything going for it: traditional Yorkshire flagstone floor pub, friendly, gorgeous location, quirky locals, dogs allowed in, roaring fire, great beer and wine, and lovely Italian restaurant that does gorgeous thin base pizzas in a proper woodburning stove. We're fairly regular visitors and we happened to go twice over this Christmas period, but my recent visits haven't been up to the usual standard so I'm just hoping that its either a one-off aberation or that the owners see this and take action.
Today we called in with our children and some friends following a bracing and wet walk nearby. We were hungry so ordered food and drinks. The Golden Best was off and only 2 of the children could have hot chocolate as they had run out! Then the food arrived and I have to say my Goats Cheese pizza and chunky chips were very nice, however my husband had ordered a 'Fish Finger Sandwich' which was described as coming with 'buttered Baguette or Bloomer' and French Fries. I saw his disappointment when he was served plain old supermarket sliced bread, no butter and slightly overdone fish fingers. The underdone fries arrived some time after the fish fingers and he had to ask for butter for the bread. When he queried the menu description he was told simply 'sorry we've run out'. He only ate it as he was starving!! Whilst I appreciate this can happen, I would usually expect some acknowledgement and maybe for them to throw in a little extra to make up for the meal not being as described! Our friends ordered Meat & Potato pie which was found to be more 'Gravy & Potato' with about 3 chunks of meat. Our other friend had Pizza Milano with Prosciutto and whilst the pizza was well cooked, the amount of Prosciutto was nothing short of miserly - about 3 or 4 small pieces on the entire pizza!
So although I still like the atmosphere of the pub I fear that I won't be able to return again - I know my husband would take some persuading to eat there again (he's had slightly negative food experiences here before, so this visit has truly 'taken the biscuit' so to speak)

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Nikki M

Reviewed 10 November 2011

Stayed just one November night, was welcomed by a roaring fire and a very nice young lady behind the bar who showed me to my room. Perfect for the night, lots of tea and coffee provided, bathroom has a jacuzzi ( didn't have time to use it!) Clean and pleasant decor. Would suggest a mirror is put up nearer the plug so you can see yourself when using the thoughtfully provided hairdrier- which actually dried my hair where many have failed!
The landlady was charming and accomodating both in the evening and in the morning when I left.
Will definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I have stayed here twice as I have a customer locally.
This place is fantastic. The rooms are very spacious with some very good views, very nice bathroom and comfortable bed.
The restaurant offers a really nice choice and it is all very tasty. Good choice of beer and wine too.
Not many places that I would go back to on a regular basis but this is one of them.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank CambridgeWhitey
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Nice pub with bistro restaurant. Room very comfortable. large selection of Belgian beers. In a quiet spot with great views. Friendly staff and charming dog. Good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for 1 night as we had been to Sowerby to see a band. The room was nice enough but the bathroom was not very clean. The service in the resturant was great but the food was average.
When coming in at midnight from the concert we were accosted and asked a million questions by the landlord who was very aggressive and 'in your face'!
The following morning the landlady pushed breakfast on us and was really rude. Her attitude was appalling. No offer of extra tea, toast, type of breakfast we wanted. Ruined the stay for us - would never go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank melliep
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The breakfast was great, but you have to phone when you want to get in after hours.
And the way I was talked to on the phone was terrible, good job his wife came down to let us in. Will stay again but for the location and food, not the people

Room Tip: All the rooms are ok