All reviews papaya restaurant costa rica guacamole boutique hotel an oasis busy road playa brasilito small hotel the main road the entire staff delicious food live music superior room minute walk owners and staff welcome drink included breakfast
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Staying at this place was a gem of my trip to Costa Rica. Elegant and tasteful boutique-style hotel with gourmet cooking, friendly and personal service and relaxing ambience.
A minor inconvenience is its location just off the road, and the serenity of the poolside scene may be occasionally violated by a truck roaring outside hotel's pink wall. The Conchal beach - the best in Costa Rica IMHO is about 20 min of easy walking.
If you have your eyes set on Brasilito, I would personally recommend this one to a vast Paradisus Playa Conchal dominating the coastline.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2010

After reading reviews here before booking I felt confident in what to expect, but I can honestly say Conchal Hotel far exceeded my expectations. It was truly a little slice of heaven, an absolute gem in a small quaint typical beach town. I was visiting the area for a friend’s wedding at the Paradisus Playa Conchal (the huge all inclusive monster up the street) but could simply not see the point of traveling to Costa Rica and secluding myself at an all inclusive. Paying $500 a night to feel like I was at any given US or Caribbean resort is not my cup of tea. I really wanted to get a feel for the local flavor, and Conchal Hotel was the perfect selection to experience this (at a small fraction of the cost). From the monkeys howling on the branches outside the hotel to the refreshing tropical pool area to the simply unique and comforting Rancho tree house, this hotel provides a feeling of authenticity you can’t find anywhere else. From the moment we checked in, Simon and Hilda went above and beyond to make our stay perfect. They even arranged for us a late check out and drove us to the station to catch our shuttle back to San Jose. As mentioned by many others, the restaurant on site is incredible. Hilda should be a Top Chef and Simon provides absolutely top notch service. Brasilito is a seafood town so as a seafood lover this was the perfect place for me. Every night Hilda changes the dinner specials based upon the fresh catch of the day. The grilled lobster was outstanding and my boyfriend claims his seared Ahi was the best he’s ever had…ever. Breakfast, though continental, is also very good. The homemade jams were so amazing I am still craving them.
The hotel itself was in excellent condition, and the room was much more luxurious then I expected. Our room was bordering the main road, but in response to other’s comments I did not hear road noise at all. The actual road is good number of feet away from the road and there is a huge wall in between. We were, however, using the air conditioner and had the windows closed so maybe this helped.
Brasilito is just a short 5 minute walk to the heart of the city as well as the beach. Everyone in town is very friendly and I always felt safe even walking back to the hotel late at night. Brasilito also offers many good local restaurants particularly La Guinette for calamari and the Mariscos place right on the beach (cant remember the name) for ceviche and deep fried whole sea bass.
Conchal beach is just a short walk as well, though I much preferred Brasilito beach. It had it’s own dark charm and was almost always deserted ie private. I would absolutly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit an authentic beach town while in Costa Rica.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunangel32
Reviewed April 29, 2010

The guy that owns this place is too funny, and very social. He is super helpful. This place is close to food and the beach. The hotel is small but comfortable. There are but pet turtles in a fountain that the owner and his wife feed, very sweet. He gives you a fruity drink upon arrival and helps in every way possible. The hotel has a beachy laid back theme. Thatch roof is a neat touch. Beds are cozy, rooms are small but very cute.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Conchal Hotel for six nights at the end of our two week trip to Costa Rica. The hotel is really nice and the staff is amazing. Hilda made me a lobster tail one night for dinner that at home would have been every bit of $50.00 and there it was $19.95 and one of the most amazing meals I had while in C.R. Simon was away on vacation and after hearing Hilda talk about him, we were very disappointed that we did not get to meet him. Hopefully next trip.
The hotel is located very conveniently to a bunch of very nice places to go. It is walking distance to Playa Conchal which is one of the nicest beaches we visited while in the country. It is a 5 minute drive or cab ride to Flamingo Beach which is worth seeing also a very beautiful beach where all of the rich people live. The houses on the cliffs are amazing. It is probably a 20 minute ride to Tamarindo which is the most talked about area in Guanacaste. Good place to go souvenier shopping.
As far as the area itself goes, we had been to the Carribean and to Arenal volcano prior to arriving at this hotel. Driving from those two areas to the area where the hotel is, is like driving through the desert. Hilda told us that it had not rained since November so it was very hot and very dry. If you don't like rain while on vacation, this area of Costa Rica is where you want to be. Every day in the dry season is just beautiful blue skies, really warm temperatures, and awesome sunsets over the Pacific ocean.
The Conchal Hotel is an awesome place to stay. Very cozy, they make you feel like family while staying at their hotel. Cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2010

The Conchal Hotel is very clean, comfortable, private in such an in town setting, walking distance to beautiful beaches, and the food is the best we had while in Costa Rica. The dinners Hilda prepared for us were prepared with food she bought fresh that day. The fish was outstanding along with the side dishes of local fare.
Hilda brought us refreshing drinks by the pool each afternoon, so delicious and guided us on things to do and places to go in the area.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple