All reviews honeymoon suite wild boar wedding venue lounge bar food was lovely plenty of parking fried bread the pub lovely room bar menu cooked breakfast course meal a lovely stay starters bridesmaids
Reviewed April 19, 2018 via mobile

Visited with the family for a sunny pub tea. Ordered simple starters, 2 between 4. Waited almost 45 minutes for pate and doughballs. (Oh dear, it was ever so busy and they were doing the best they could. It takes 10 minutes to cook dough balls don’t you know!)
For a main I ordered chicken stuffed with Stilton. When it arrived it tasted of goats cheese. Husband tried and agreed - this was not Stilton. Brought to the attention of a waitress who said “what do you want, a refund!?”
No I’d like some tea please!
Went to bar to speak to chef who did not appear but hollered via the waitress it was definitely Stilton, did I want some more putting on.
No, thanks, why would I want more of something I’m complaining about.
Asked for a simple chip butty to replace as I didn’t want to change my order knowing we had waited an hour already.
Chip butty was dumped unceremoniously on the table along with a £7 refund (£9.95 was cost of main meal)
Upon paying for the other food, when I said I didn’t really want to pay for the butty as it wasn’t what I ordered, the “manager” of the bar said I was only wanting to cause ‘hassle’
NOT customer service at its best.
The waitress in question had eaten my returned food to see what I was talking about. Not nice.
No suggestion of looking into the issue, no apology, just rudeness and a blank stare.
I will not be eating here again and will happily tell anyone who asks how we found this establishment of our experience.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ERSheff
Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

We visited yesterday for Mother’s Day lunch and was left quite disappointed. Initially the room looked nice with the tables and chairs set with chair covers and purple ribbons, looking like a wedding. We were shown to our table but then left. I had to ask to order drinks which then took quite a while to arrive. Then I had to ask for menus. We were brought 1 adult menu between 3 of us and the waitress stood next to us and waited for us to decide which seemed strange. It obviously was busy with it being Mother’s Day and I understand that there were 3 set dining times but the staff seemed quite stressed and I don’t think a single one actually smiled at us. The food was distinctly average. We each had a prawn starter which was tasteless and the beef main was very thinly sliced and also had very little taste. The desserts were very nice and my only comment around that is that both my mum and I like to drink coffee with a dessert and were told we couldn’t have coffee until we moved into the room next door.
I heard another lady complaining to the manager as we were leaving and the manager said that hers was the only complaint of the day which surprised me. I didn’t complain as didn’t want to make a fuss on Mother’s Day.
Another point I’ve just thought to mention is the unpleasant “foisty” smell as you enter the hotel at the back. My 5 year old instantly commented “erghhh it smells” as soon as we walked in. And we all know that kids say it as it is!
I’ve never stayed at the hotel but wouldn’t be in a rush to do so after this experience.

Date of stay: March 2018
Reviewed March 6, 2018

We decided to stay over after attending a wedding reception at the hotel and what a good choice! A lovely welcome from the Receptionist and we were off to our room. Two double beds in a spacious room with crisp white linen sheets, clean room, clean bathroom, brilliant white towels and on a very cold night below freezing heating on all night to keep us warm. We overlooked the lake and back of the hotel which looked lovely covered in snow but would look so much more picturesque in summer. a very good backdrop for a wedding.
After a lovely nights sleep we went down to breakfast in the restaurant which is full of character and charm. The breakfast was lovely with a bit of everything you would expect cooked very well and served up by two very friendly and chatty waitresses who obviously loved their jobs. I would certainly recommend a stay here especially if you are attending a wedding.

Room tip: Room 12 has a lovely view at the back of the hotel over the lake and grounds.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2018

We stayed for one night and ate in the restaurant. Food was pretty good but we had to wait for it as there was a large birthday party in another room, so they seemed to get served first!
I'd stay again.

Date of stay: November 2017
Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

The surroundings were lovely and I'm sure staff were trying their best to fit in with our Bride & Groom's arrangements but the wedding planner (I think) was a bit bossy and could've been more polite instead of ordering us about.

Disabled toilet facilities and general disabled access were rubbish. Could hardly get around in the disabled toilet and the short distance to the upstairs reception room meant a trek right around the hotel just to get to the lift.

Food was lovely but, for a winter Wedding, there could have been more heating on in the building - some of us didn't get warm all day.

Date of stay: February 2018