See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 5, 2016

My wife and I have recently returned from a five night stay at this delightful hotel. We have visited the area many times over the years, but this was the first time at this hotel.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and most could speak good English, which is always a great help with our limited German.

All bedrooms are of an individual style, ours having a yellow and Butterfly motif. The room was well equipped and comfortable, and we had good views of the town and surrounding countryside from our balcony.

Dinner in the restaurant was of a very good quality, as was the comprehensive breakfast.

All in all, a great hotel in a great location.

Room tip: As all rooms are unique, it will be down to personal choice.
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2016 via mobile

Room was large and we had a balcony which was excellent to enjoy the lovely weather the day we arrived,. This was our third hotel as part of our walking holiday and is larger than the previous two. Evening meal was good traditional fare and breakfast was plentiful. Kirchzarten itself was lovely and easy links to Freiburg.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank fionar211
Reviewed September 25, 2016

We booked the Junior Suite for four nights. It's a lovely, spacious room but faces the road at the front of the hotel, above the outside eating area. The double glazing in the room is very good but unfortunately windows had to be left open as it was so warm. Consequently, not a lot of sleep!! Even when temperatures fell a little outside, the building retained the heat. Breakfast was adequate but nothing special, the dining room was very quiet, like a doctor's waiting room. Evening meal was tasty but again nothing remarkable for the price charged. Staff very polite but not particularly warm. The hotel is very clean. Kirchzarten itself is lovely with good train access. Make sure you are offered (we were) the Konus card which entitles tourists to free bus and train travel, it's excellent.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2016

The Sonne is a Hotel in the more traditional style, very relaxed and welcoming. Large rooms with lovely bathrooms. Each room takes on a different style. The food served up is from a menu which uses a lot of local produce and is extremely tasty.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank michaelfleming687
Reviewed July 7, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Sonne and found the entire experience exceptional. Our room was clean, bright and very comfortable and I loved the interior design. A mix of traditional motifs blended with what can best be described as 'Blackforest Cool'. I have travelled extensively through Germany and found the food in the hotel some of the best German cuisine I have tried. The location was perfect - so close to Freiburg, and so handy for taking trips to the countryside. The owners were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. I would highly recommend the Sonne as one of my favourite small hotels.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple