All reviewsthe upstairs dining roombar restaurantnice mealan extensive menuprawnsga
Reviewed January 28, 2015

Got stranded here after van trouble, popped in for tea on my own.
Staff were friendly enough, veg chilli on a plate with dry rice, no tortillas or sour cream or anything, had a side of chips to, nothing spectacular, nor particularly bad, i ate it all as I was hungry. Not sure of the local prices, seemed a bit expensive for me here.
Toilets, while not the worst ive seen, probably were installed in the early 1980s, which I do find pleasantly reminiscent of my grandmothers old bathroom as a child, which was a bonus.
The adjoining bar next door- Cheers, more atmosphere at a funeral, and more personality from a corpse than the barman, maybe he didn't like strangers....
One observation that did put me off, I had a clear view through the door to the kitchen, while I appreciate refurbishment is costly, cleaning is free or cheap, I wouldn't be proud of showcasing that kitchen area to customers.
Nice building, just needs a face lift. while it was underwhelming, I would revisit as a last resort

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2015

Thank you for your comments regarding your meal. We have reviewed our procedures and will ensure that in future we give nachos and sour cream with the vegetarian chilli. Disappointed that you thought that the rice was not up to standard.
We have had comments re the toilets but any change would be purely cosmetic and so in the current financial climate I take the view if it aint broke don't fix it.
Regarding the public bar I (and no doubt many publicans) would be delighted to have a bar with atmosphere at 6.30 on a Wednesday evening.
The kitchen is old but consistently passes all EHO inspections otherwise we would try to avoid letting customers have an open view

Reviewed October 20, 2014

We booked this hotel for one night as we were attending a wedding locally. It is a bit run down and needs maintenance - door locks difficult to manage and radiator in Room 18 was not working. En suite bathroom basic but I have to say plenty of hot water. Single glazing means room a bit cold and not well insulated from noise although the owners may well be contained here as this is a listed building. That said, the staff and owner are among the friendliest people and extremely helpful. The breakfast was hot, substantial and well cooked. As the title suggests, you will struggle to find cheaper bar prices anywhere. There is no hint of a rip-off with anything. Economic prices and, provided you are just looking for a one or two night stop over without any frills This hotel fits the bill.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank indyscot
Reviewed September 28, 2014

Can only describe this as one of the worst meal ever. My husband tried to order brie wedges as a starter but these were unavailable so he opted for pate.. When it came it was pate and a small side salad - no toast or oatcakes to eat with it. For main he ordered pork stuffed with haggis on a cabbage base. It became apparent that this did not come with potatoes or chips - we were not told this when ordering and had to but these as an extra. My main course was salmon - this first plate that was served the food was cold and I returned it. After quite a wait I was served this dish again - when I cut the samon it was raw in the middle. This was returned and we paid and left very dissapointed and hungry!

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susan G
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2014

We are a very busy establishment and we do occasionally fail to live up to our own high standards. On this occasion I personally spoke to the lady making the complaint and agreed that the salmon looked undercooked. We operate a no quibble policy and so after apologising I stated we would not charge for the meal and offered a replacement. This was declined as the customers husband was already well through his meal. I therefore offered a sweet so that they would not leave our hotel hungry. This was also declined.
We did sell out of brie that night so it is possible that none was available at the time of ordering.
No issue other than the salmon was made to me when I was in discussion with this couple.
Having taken the time to apologise and offer alternatives I am disappointed that the customers review is not as I remember.

Reviewed September 26, 2014

Stopped here on passing Huntly tonight. Lovely dinner using local ingredients. Beautifully cooked meat with fresh vegetables. Enjoyed the atmosphere of traditional dining. Waitresses friendly helpful and efficient. Good varied menu and I noted that there were smaller portions available which would be good if dining with elderly relatives. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2014

Thank you for your comments. It is good to be appreciated

Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

I originally planned to stay only one night but extended this to two nights. Staff were welcoming and happy to help with information about the surrounding area. Meals were large portions and well priced The building s date back to the 17th century and as a result the building comes with it quirks. All of which adds to the experience Situated overlooking the square the hotel has a commanding presence. I would certainly stay there again just one small thing. . Don't forget to vacuum the skirting boards as well as the carpet.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

A belated thank you for those kind remarks.