All reviewsthe upstairs dining roombar restaurantnice mealan extensive menuprawnsga
Reviewed October 29, 2015

Had a very nice evening meal for four of us: good homely food, (we all had different things--all enjoyed) friendly service and comfortable surroundings. Thank you to all. Have eaten here before and glad to see it is as good as ever.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank helen m
Reviewed October 11, 2015

In an attempt to visit Glendronach Distillery, me and a buddy took the train into Huntly and walked to the town square to try to find a taxi in this quaint town. With little success locating a taxi, we popped into the Gordon Arms Hotel to see if they could tell us where to find a taxi or for a phone number. Though we were not staying at the Hotel and were only stopping in Huntly for a few minutes, the staff went above just giving us a phone number and made multiple calls on our behalf to successfully find us a ride to Forgue. After an incredible tour at the Distillery, we returned to Huntly for a bite to eat before catching the train. Based on their assistance with the taxi, we decided to show our appreciation by ordering a couple meals and pints. The staff saw us enter and inquired to ensure we had a good tour and taxi service. The meal was the best I had in my trip to Scotland, Lamb 3-ways, beautifully prepared, seasoned, and all local. I cant speak to the rooms, but the front desk staff showed courteous and attentive service and the bar and restaurant delivered as well.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2015

On behalf of the staff I thank you for your comments. We try to do our best and it is good to be appreciated.

Reviewed October 2, 2015

On our way back from a great day out at the Highland Wildlife Park we stopped in Huntly for dinner, on reaching the square and with no 3G or 4G signal to check Tripadvisor we opted for the only hotel open, the other having been boarded up!
The Gordon Arms has an imposing position on the square and although looking every bit it age we were hungry and went in...our first mistake!
We entered the lounge bar where bar meals are served to find a room that hasn't seen an update since the 70's, unperturbed and fever more hungry we sat down and ordered: I ordered the haddock goujons with veg, whilst my husband ordered the bangers and mash with a peppercorn sauce (yip-no gravy available!). As we were both driving we ordered lemonade to accompany our meal.
The service is very fast...we had our meals within 10 minutes! So it came as quite a surprise when both meals were stone cold! A quick reheat and well I can safely say although my fish smelt and tasted fresh it was still cold, the chips undercooked, the peas incredibly bland and the most anemic and tasteless beetroot I have ever seen, they seem to have the ability to boil the taste and colour out of it!
At least I didn't have the pleasure of the bangers and mash! I had a taste of this culinary masterpiece, also cold, with sausages I wouldn't feed my cat and mash that had more lumps than the mountains we'd just driven through with a sauce that defied all sense of taste or texture!
When asked if we were ordering dessert the staff didn't seem bothered that we wouldn't, or all that bothered what we thought of the meal.
It comes to something when the tastiest thing you have for dinner is the lemonade!
Dreadful!

Room Tip: Just avoid it, drive on to Inverurie!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2015

Always disappointed when any customer leaves unhappy with a meal so before my response regarding the meal a couple of factual corrections.
We have both 3g and 4g in Huntly, the other hotel is closed but not boarded up, the lounge was redecorated last year and yes it is an old building its missives dating from 1795.
If the meal was delivered in ten minutes from ordering I am at a loss to know why haddock goujons would be cold being served straight from cooking. We would not reheat fish and if there was a problem we would replace with fresh as part of or no quibble policy. The waitresses involved and chef have no knowledge of a meal(s) being sent back for reheating.
The bangers and mash was served with a wholegrain mustard sauce - not peppercorn. We always have gravy available as roast beef and yorkshire pudding is on the main menu. Thus gravy would have been available if requested as an alternative. We sold a considerable amount of this dish with the mash made in bulk at the start of service. This was the only complaint.
I can only conclude from the comment regarding dessert that the option was offered. If the offer is declined I am not sure what else the staff could do.
Staff are trained to check if the meal was satisfactory and if this did not happen I can only apologise as we would have taken steps then to correct any problems up to and including a refund.

Reviewed August 9, 2015 via mobile

We booked a table which was a good idea as it was very busy. My husband asked for a real ale which the owner got for him from Cheers Bar next door which was very nice of him We both had scallop and prawns in a spicy sauce for starters and it was nice then I had the chicken fillets and my husband had the lamb shank and spring onion mash from the specials board and we both enjoyed it. The bill came to around £37.00 which we thought was quite reasonable.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2015

Thank you for your response. I have conveyed your comments to staff. They appreciate compliments given the nature of our business.

Reviewed July 21, 2015 via mobile

Stayed here for one night for a wedding in the area. One night was enough. My other half booked it online then charged more upon arrival, we let it slide. Our first impression of entering the room we was given was the unmistakable smell of a hamsters cage no joke! the decor in the room hadn't been refurbished since nineteen-oatcake the shower room was a joke you couldn't swing a cat in there. We passed up on the breakfast experience at the gordon arms hotel.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple

If I was unhappy with a hotel and was charged more than quoted I would not "let it slide". I will say no more on the veracity of this review.