All reviews friendly service nice meal the upstairs dining room bar restaurant an extensive menu prawns roast beef ga portions
Reviewed January 12, 2018

I am writing this review as the hotel recently changed hands and the publicity says that neither of the new owners is hotel management experienced.

I believe they need a chance to prove themselves. They know the building needs a lot of TLC, and I would not disagree with that. But there is a gorgeous curving staircase going upstairs, and the carpet thereon is in good condition, as are most of the carpets I saw.

The ladies loo was a bit basic but clean.

Indeed, everywhere was very clean.

Reception looked quite inviting, and well staffed, and there are squishy settees nearby.

We were there for a funeral tea. The service was efficient, the sandwiches Ok, the sausage rolls gorgeous. The table cloths were pristine white and crisp.
Downstairs the bar was well stocked with spirits but draught beers etc were limited. I had a sneak peek at the menu. There are sandwiches and wraps and baked potatoes. A quick look at the main menu made me think of pub grub, but I did notice for instance a surf n turf, being a 6 oz locally produced steak plus prawn twizzles. So there is food for many tastes. There was an old type Cona coffee machine working by the bar, so good quality coffee is on offer

It is a really nice imposing building, at the corner of the square, and there is loads of well lit parking, some free, a lot charging.

I would say we need to support such an enterprise and check out at least the food

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Margaret F
Paul S, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to add a review, your feedback is most appreciated.

As my wife and I are new to the Hotel trade, we have continued employing all the existing staff to ensure that for the most, things continue to run smoothly.
The building is old and does have a lot of nice features, we are beginning the renovations and are focusing on the cleanliness, we know the improvements will take some time but we are confident that the completed work will enhance the property and improve the customers experience.

Thanks
Paul

Reviewed January 5, 2018

I understand the hotel has new owners, therefore I cannot be too critical, but, we went for dinner at the end of the year and sat in the dining room which was cold and looked to be half decorated. The tables were set with small champagne glasses for wine and wine glasses for water. The waitress, who was very nice and friendly, did not give us time to choose drinks or food order, we kept having to ask her to give us time to peruse the menu. We ordered a bottle of white wine which was just put on the table with a freezer cover on it and left, we were never shown the bottle nor was it opened in front of us, I had to remove cover to confirm it was the correct wine.
We all ordered soup, it was delicious but served with margerine along side the bread. Two of us ordered fish, only to be told there wasn't any. Our main courses were okay and the accompanying salad was lovely.
Having teething problems when beginning a new business is not unusual, once the place is finished it's redecoration and the staff have had training, it could be a lovely restaurant. I will return later in the year, hopefully to see improvements.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Cathy-Buchanan

Thanks for your review.
You were correct about the half-decorated dining room, this should have been made clear to you on arrival, we did have some cards positioned around the dining room and hotel explaining the on-going work, only today (17th), the new carpet was laid and now the woodwork will be finished within the next week. As far as the dining room being cold, we are still attempting to find a good balance of heat on the inside vs the cold on the outside, we have had some evenings where the condensation on the inside was a problem due to the temperature difference on the single glazing, I have asked staff to check with each table that they are comfortable and if they require more heat in the room.
It's clear we will need to address our wine service and our table setting, duly noted, we are going to work on this.
For the lack of fish, we did experience a few shortages on some key ingredients on multiple occassions, I believe we were taken a little by surprise that the restaurant was so busy.
I look forward to your next visit and expect that you will some good improvement.

Thanks
Paul

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

Amazing food, served swiftly and was delicious. Fantastic staff, friendly and helped when ever we needed it. Food was cooked properly and presented beautifully. The portions were well sized and was fairly priced. It was of high quality and would go back again in a heartbeat.

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank peggy1234peggy
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2017

Thank you for your lovely comments. Will let staff know as it is good to be appreciated

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Visited The Gordon Arms looking for a good, simple pub meal. This is exactly what we got; good, wholesome pub grub. What made our visit, though, was the brilliant service. Nothing was too much of a bother, and there was really good banter. That made the difference for us...5* fun.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
david48, Owner at Gordon Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Thank you for your comments. Will pass this on to staff as it is good to know that their efforts are appreciated.

Reviewed August 1, 2017

While on holiday in Huntly decided to have a meal at the Gordon Arms Hotel; we both opted for the Scampi, one chose the small serving while the other the full serving, however, there was only a difference of 3 pieces of scampi! The waitress said the vegetables were broccoli and cauliflower but when it came it was carrots and peas! Service was quick and friendly, usually in a hotel the waitress will check that everything is all-right however this did not happen but thankfully we were happy with our meal. We did appreciate the fact that certain items on the menu gave the choice of a smaller portion.

Date of stay: July 2017