See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed January 2, 2017

I stayed many times at this hotel mainly for skiing. I chose it as I went with my teenager son and it is very close to the Shinkansen station, the ski tracks plus I'm not an expert skier. If you want to avoid taking the shuttle hotel/ ski tracks, this place is good.The hotel interior is old fashioned but still functional, don't expect a 4-5 stars hotel ski resort, but I feel it is comfortable enough(for sleeping) if you plan to enjoy skiing. The hotel is huge and you need time to get used to the places. There are many restaurants but they serve basically the same food in most of them, they may offer some special options you need to pay additional depending on the restaurant specialty. You need to reserve a time as else there is a big wait to get seated, morning is tougher as there is no reservations taken.If you stay for a long time, you may get bored. But with teenager kids that eats a lot, you don't have any concerns. I feel it is ok. There are not many options around to eat. The major problem is the check in / out , it may take long as many people come and go every day, so you may wait for 1 hour for your turn. The other major problem are the lifts, with so many people flowing in and out, the lifts are not big and you may wait a very long time for it. If you are used to the place, just pack things in a bag you can carry up the stairs, it will save you time and patience. The staff is polite and try to help as much as they can though English may be limited.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed December 23, 2016 via mobile

Great place for kids and begginer ski.and have lots of other toys to do beside skiing.easy access to the ski lift.
Bear in mind the ski school all in Japanese.
So my kids basically just follow their action,
Coach are very friendly and patience.
Room was great, breakfast was gud but sadly the same menu everyday .
Most of the hotel staff don't really speak English but we managed to survive.
Overall we enjoyed ourselves still..
Will be back , hopefully they will look into the matter.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

I'm a family of 4 with kids 7 & 5 yo and stayed for 3 nights for ski. We chose a large room with 2 levels with stairs. The room is pretty big and able to accommodate 7 adults. But the door opens at 8/F, you have to carry heavy lugguage down to 7/F and when you leave, you have to carry it up again with a long stairs. At the very beginning, it's quite impressive, but after walking up and down several time. I felt that I would like to have a big room without stairs.
The hotel is located at the end the uphill road. There's no any transportation except hotel shuttle. It's not a problem to me as I rented a car. So if you don't, please prepare to dine at the hotel for every meals.
For the restaurant, I had buffet breakfast and dinner. I've stayed in many different ski resorts and onsen resort. This is one of the worse to me. The variety of choice and the quality of food are under average to me. I chose to go out for breakfast and dinner after tried the restaurant once!
The early this year, I went to shiga kogen for ski. The hotel restaurant is better than hotel green plaza.
For the onsen, please use the large and outdoor onsen in main building and don't use the small indoor one in connectionnex building.
Ski is ok.
In conclusion, I would suggest to look more and compare other hotels before choosing this hotel.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2016

We went for ski trip in Joetsu Kokusai ski ground. There's not much choice of ski-in ski-out resort. The resort is in good location with shuttle service from 越後湯沢駅, Echigo-Yuzawa-eki, only 30mins.

The architecture of the resort building are beautiful, staff are friendly although no much of them speaks English. The ski ground is nice but a bit far for the lift to travel around.

Hardware of the hotel is a bit old.

We book with a package with breakfast & dinner included, plus ski pass & 20% off rental. it's value for money, but you cannot expect much on the buffet style meals.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StoneH0N
Reviewed August 17, 2015

I read some the "Terrible" reviews to get an idea of what bad things to expect. I have to say after staying at the hotel, I found all of the WHINERS to be either pampered or born with a silver spoon who want everything for FREE!

This hotel is very old and it is a bit dirty however, I found it to be exactly what you paid for. My family and I stayed there Aug 2015. We were looking for a short cheap family vacation and we found it at Hotel Green Plaza Joetsu.

I will address some of the "Terrible" comments below;

1. Someone POSTED "The carpets are dirty" - Yes, they are dirty however, there are a lot of tourist coming and going everyday. In the winter, I imagine that that carpets take a beating from guest snowboarding/skiing. It is difficulty to keep the carpets perfect with the high volume of guest during winter. I can deal with it because I did not intend to stay in the hotel/room all day.

2. Someone POSTED "It takes 15 minutes to walk from one end to the other" - The hotel is big and beautiful like a chalet you would enjoy in Europe. Since we were not there to stay in the room, we enjoyed walking through the hotel to the restaurants, game center, lobby and sauna. We got our morning exercise and after eating a big meal, the walk was nice. I guess some people are just LAZY.

3. Someone POSTED "Could not control temp in room". This is true but I brought a small fan so I could be comfortable when in the room which was only to change and sleep. The room was not hot at all but I need to have some cool air when I sleep.

4. Someone POSTED " The food was not good and there was a line to be seated already at 0800. We found the food to be GOOD for the price we paid. The morning buffet had plenty of eggs, sausages, bacon, toast and plenty more veggies. For those who had to wait because the restaurants were full by 0800, either get up early and beat the crowds or be prepared to wait. Stop complaining and enjoy your stay. You could make a reservation and walk around the hotel till it is your time to eat.

This is a family resort and it was great! They have a festival every night where families can enjoy Japanese style games and activities. They even have safety fireworks.

The pool was a short walk down the hill. It is not deep at all, it was about waist high at the deepest end. I recommend bring floating devices. They have electric air pumps to save you from having to blow it help yourself. There are a couple of water slides, a train ride (not too long but the kids enjoyed), a big slip n slide, merry go round and Go Karts which you must be in the 5th grade to drive or you can ride with two in a Kart.

The sauna was typical spacious cold/hot/outdoor. It was really relaxing.

The room was also typical two beds and futons for the kids nothing special The shower was nice, big tub and strong water pressure. For the price it was perfect because we did not intend to spend the day in the room.

They also had a monkey show, game center and arts and crafts for the kids.

All in all, it was a great hotel for the price. if you drive, you can bring your coolers, fans, snacks and drinks for the room and/or the pool.

So if you make plans to go there, be prepared to be in a resort where you get what you pay for and enjoy were time there.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family