“Distinct Smell Hits You Upon Entrance”
Review of Taihoramen

Taihoramen
Ranked #1 of 2,011 Restaurants in Kurume
Price range: US$7 - US$9
Reviewed August 19, 2018

Upon entry to the eatery, I was immediately hit by what smells like smell socks, only to later realised that it is the smell of the tonkotsu broth. The queer experience of sitting in a funny smelling premise and savouring a good bowl of ramen is not to be missed when you are in Kurume. The broth should be a thumbs up for tonkotsu lovers, and the noodles did not disappoint.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed July 16, 2018 via mobile

We all ordered black noodles with an additional egg on top. We didn’t talk when we eat cos the food is too great. I have been to Japan over 20 times. I would name this shop top 3 ramen shops I have been to. Remember to go with dumplings too. They are deep fried really well.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

Best ramen of our Japan trip so far in my opinion, though some of my family still prefer Ichiran over this but I disagree. It's not your typical ramen taste, it has a light fishy flavor, but complemented with the bits of crunchy pork fat floating around. I'd recommend the one with dumplings. Also cool that they haven't cleaned out their stock pot in 60 years.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed April 2, 2017 via mobile

Read about Kurume being the birthplace of tonkotsu ramen. And Taiho ramen being one of the first few in this little town to start serving this wonderful ramen. Rumor has it that the pot that boiled the broth has never been turned off since its opening in 1954. We did see that legendary pot from where we were seated , it is partially hidden but sure looks old. The restaurant was packed on a Monday lunch when we made our way there from Fukuoka Airport. We ordered a set which includes the tonkotsu ramen (in thick broth) , fried rice and gyoza. The ramen is handmade and very chewy , and the broth is very tasty. This is the first time I have tasted ramen broth that comes with pork lard which adds on to the overall flavoring. I am never a fan of gyoza but I must admit that the ones they served are really good. I will probably give the fried rice a miss as i find it a bit too salty. It is overall a very satisfying experience for me and my wife. This is a ramen that no one should ever miss if you are in this part of Kyushu. On my final stop at Fukuoka , I tried again at their branch located in Tenjin. It is quite similar except that I find the broth a little too salty to my liking.

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank ErnestC241
Reviewed December 9, 2016

Whilst working in Fukuoka, I was taken here by friends. It was a national holiday and we had to queue to get in!
But it was worth it!
Beautiful food + quick and slick service.

Date of visit: November 2016