“Amazing - It made my summer.”

Backpackers Miyajima
Reviewed 19 January 2011

This was the most fun I`ve had at a hostel - EVER! The staff go out of their way to make your experience memorable. Setting off little fireworks on the pier we bought from a local convenience store, hanging out at the nearby beach, surrounded by ocean water and mountains, day tripping to the island, meeting some of the funnest people on my trip, having relaxing bbq`s and pizza nights - this place provides endless fun! I wanted a night to party - I got it. I wanted a night to read and go to bed early - I got that, too. I don`t understand how you give a hostel a terrible rating because their five minute shower didn`t meet your standards. I`m sure the staff explained to you that the timer stops when you turn the water off - but maybe you weren`t listening because you were too busy fretting over your period...Good luck finding a hostel that caters to that!
Best location - Best staff- Best times!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
BackpackersMiyajima, オーナー at Backpackers Miyajima, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Thank you for staying at Backpackers Miyajima!!

We are very glad to hear about your comment.
That's what we would like to serve all our guests our best time.
So, we are still trying to change our hostel more cozy.
Please come stay with us again!

Backpackers Miyajima all staff members

Reviewed 10 January 2011

I am a well-travelled person and I`ve visited countries in Oceania, South America and Asia and by far this is the worst hostel that I`ve ever been. They charge for absolutely everything ! The showers are just in 5 minutes. How can a woman who is in her period, has long hair and needs to shave can have a shower in 5 minutes ???!!!! If you want more time or a second shower in a day you must pay for it !!! The staffs are unfriendly and rude. The rooms in which up to 24 people sleep are so hot that you cannot stay in to rest during the day. You should run away of this hostel !!!!!! They say that they are the best hostel in Asia. How are they ? I have been in others hostel in Asia much better than this one. This hostel should not even have a license to be a hostel in such a developed country like Japan is.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank linda20100
BackpackersMiyajima, オーナー at Backpackers Miyajima, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank you for stay at Backpackers Miyajima.

We are very very sorry we had bad service for you.
Even our staff was rude. We are sorry.
We have just opend 4 years, of course we are not perfect hostel yet, and need good advices and bad advices.
We can recognize our bad things, and make it better for another guests from guests advices.
Now many things advanced step by step! lol
Shower is free as much as the guests can take anytime now.
But we still ask saving water for ECO.
Because, we beliave it really needs for our earth.
Thank you for your advices.
We hope you can come stay with us again and to see what's better than last time.

Reviewed 14 December 2010

In fact, you get more than your money's worth. You will rather feel like you are staying at friend's home, with friendly and traveled stuff and the crowd that can share an interesting story or two. We even got a proper Thanksgiving dinner.
Not to mention that it is right on the cost, looking at the beautiful Miyajima island and its Itsukushima shrine, just a minute walk from the ferry.
I'd even go as far as to recommend taking a trip to this particular place for the sake of staying at the Backpackers Miyajima.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
BackpackersMiyajima, マネージャー at Backpackers Miyajima, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for staying with us and your comment.

We are still organizing paties here.
We will keep trying our best so that you can find something new and nicer next time!
We hope to see you here again, if you've got another chance to come down here.

Reviewed 12 October 2010

I stayed at this hostel at the end of September and I had a great time. It is definitely in my top hostels I have ever stayed in.
It is simple in its decor but that in no way hinders it, in fact, I think it adds to it. It also well priced and well connected via public transport.
The staff were very friendly and they were willing, and able, to help out with whatever I needed - information about the local area, etc. Due in no small part to the staff, the atmosphere in the hostel was great. I went there as a solo traveler but felt as if I had walked into a friends house - instantly welcome and comfortable with everyone there. There were activities both nights that I was there (a BBQ and a camping trip) which were things that I would not have otherwise had the chance to do.
If while in Hiroshima, you plan to visit Miyajima and Itsukushima shrine then this is the number one place to stay, for all the reasons above as well as it being a stones throw from the ferry terminal.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for staying with us.

We are very happy with all of your comments.
We hope to see you here again, if you've got another chance to come down here.

Kazumi

Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hostel is on Miyajima-guchi, which is NOT on Miyajima island itself. HOwever, it is still a great location, as it is only 5 minutes walk from Miyajima-guchi station, and 1 minute walk to the ferry terminal! The hostel is just right next to the sea.
Staff are friendly, but the rooms could be better. The dorms are basically one huge room partitioned by walls into different bunks. Shower curtains are used to partition the bunks from the aisle, and there is a common aircon, and a lights-out and lights-on timing. The floor is concrete, so it's the no-frills kind. However, there was a thin layer of dust on the ladder rungs and the sides of the beds which were empty in our bunk.
The bathing system is unique- you get a token when you check-in, and this token entitles you to 5 min of running water time. More token can be bought at 100 yen each. This can really help to save water as it makes us very conscious of the running water, and it also speeds up bathing time so that more people can use it. On the other hand, it doesn't make the hostel look generous. But there are pros and cons to this system. People who like to bath a lot might not like this system.
We stayed for only a day to understand the hostel more, but it seems like they have lots of activities lined up for guests. On the day we were leaving, two Brits came back from Kyoto just so they could go on a camping trip with Yoshi.
I guess this hostel is more for the laid-back, no frills kind of travellers.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for stay at Backpackers Miyajima.

We have a different shower system now.
It's free shower as much as longer for anytime, but we ask the guests to save the water.
They understand our eco friendly.
We appriciated it.
So are you!!
And we will pay attention to clean the place where you gave us comment.
We are sorry about that.
And to try to make a good hostel for any kind travelers!
Thank you for your comment .
We hope we can see you again in here.

Reviewed 6 October 2010

If you look for a cheap hostel near to the Miyajima island, this is the nearest one. I just wanted to sleep two calm nights.

The hostel is very clean, that's for sure but every Japanese hostel are clean. There are no rooms for the dormitory (4 persons or 8 persons => No difference). It is only one big room separated by curtains and you sleep on a mattress with the thickness of a sashimi. If there is a snorer in the room, you are done!

The staff is polite but they asked me to pay the whole price even if I had paid 10 % deposit on the internet for reservation. I thought that I had misunderstood the reservation policy, but later on I stayed in Kyoto and Osaka and I only paid the remaining 90%. Since then, I do not recommended this hostel.

A Miyajima tourist.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank VanDurme

Thank you for staying with us.

We must apologize for having charged you the whole price even while you had paid the 10% deposit on the internet.
We charge the remaining 90% when guests make a reservation on some certain web site. Something seems to have gone wrong. Again, we apologize for our mistake.

We are still trying to change facilities and rooms.
Now we have a door to separate the female dorm room.

We will take your comment as a suggestion and keep trying our best.

Reviewed 17 August 2010

Visited in May 2010 and had an awesome time. Yoshi and the rest of the staff made everyone welcome and got into the swing of things and were always organising BBQs and camping trips. Pro tip: ask for Kobe beef!!!

Its all dorm accomodation but its well cleaned and privacy is reasonably good. Everywhere is clean and the common areas mean that everyone gets into the swing of things.

All in all a good laugh. Definitely reccomend it!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo

Thank you for stay at Backpackers Miyajima.

Yoshi is still organizeing every parties!
Even tonight party is going on!!
We will keep on clean hostel.
And we know you miss our party and camping, don't you?
We are waiting for you anytime!!
Please come to stay at Backpackers Miyajima again.
We are looking forward to seeing you.