“Onsen in house with backyard”
Review of Kamenoi Besso

Kamenoi Besso
Ranked #11 of 149 Hotels / Ryokan in Yufu
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

I spent one night at this lovely hotel. It was really a great place to relax. I booked a Japanese Western room, which turned out to be a house with a small backyard, with onsen in the bathroom. There was a Japanese living room, and a bedroom with two beds. This is great for people who are not used to tatami in Japanese rooms.

The hotel is right next to a small beautiful lake. They also gave us a map for a one hour walk in the neighbourhood. It was a nice walk passing by many different places such as temple, bridge, farmland, garden and the beautiful lake.

Food was great as well. We had lunch at the restaurant but dinner and breakfast in the room. All of them were delicious, with a good variety of seafood, vegetables and tender beef.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 November 2015

Kamennoi besso is one of the best luxury ryokan in Japan. It is also one of the first ryokan which revitalized Yufuin and made Yufuin famous as in today.

Its interior and Japanese garden are perfectly beautiful beyond a word can explain. It makes you suddenly forgot that you are in a 21th century. It is like a dream that you were in Japan in Meiji era. The experience is really worth the money that you pay.

Another great thing is their authentic Japanese cuisine. I had a fantastic 11 courses dinner here. Many exotic dishes that hard to find even in Japan. Sushi of many exotic fishes, very fresh uni, matsuska beef, grilled matsutake mushroom soup, and many more. I also asked the staff to pair sake for me and I got Fukuoka sake which matched perfectly with the cuisine.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Karn C
Reviewed 18 February 2015 via mobile

A traditional style ryokan but everything in tip top condition. I especially like the cozy sitting areas at the lobby where they serve complimentary plum wine to guests. We had a very nice and spacious western room with twin beds. There's an onsen bath inside the bathroom but I prefer the public open baths at the ryokan. They provide massage chairs in the changing room. The highlight of our 2-night stay had to be the exquisite dinners (and breakfasts) they served. The kaiseki dinner on the first night was a feast to the eye by itself, everything was artistically presented and tasted so good. The second night we had Shabu Shabu and it was wonderful as well. Last but not least, our serveur was most attentive and friendly (sorry, forgot his name) and handsome too, he looks more like an actor :))
The only thing we didn't like was the access to the hotel. You have to drive in and out through narrow roads and battle with oncoming cars and endless crowds of tourists- which was really a pain. Nevertheless, Kamenoi Bessou will still be our choice should we visit Yufuin again.

• Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Very traditional Japanese Ryokan. Modest and warm service of "ryokan" is very different from that of a "hotel", but this is what I wanted. Yufuin has gotten so touristy and the whole town was full of Korean/Chinese/Taiwanese tourists. But once you enter the Kamenoi entrance, there is this quiet garden with thatched roofs. These roofs/building/garden must be extremely hard to maintain, and I have understood the price to stay at this hotel.
I have stayed in June but there were some ants crawling in our room. Its some problems that old buildings might have and was not to the point which annoyed me. As for the rooms and facilities, there is a normal bath in your room and also a very small tub in your garden. The water quality was okay but as I prefer sulfur springs and heavy water, it felt a little bit plain. There is one public bath (which I did not try), and was a small coffee lounge/library where you can read books while you listen to the classical musics (coffee was quite nice). Few walks away and you can go to their shop which is open to public.
Dinner was very traditional and nice, nothing to complain - they made us the rice balls with the left over rice for our late night snacks.

I have stayed in Murata as well, Murata is more of the modern and comfortable room/service while Kamenoi is more of the traditional Japanese style. Its two different style and hard to compare.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank erika-lux-miller
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Our family booked the largest room available, hyakuban, for our family trip. We were pleasantly surprised with its extent size. However, that was the only happy experience remaining.

First, we were asked to walk in the freezing snow and cold to their restaurant for dinner rather than stay in room for our kaiseki dinner. The reason given to us was our room was farthest from the kitchen thus the food will be cold by the time it reaches us if delivered. Three to four hours after our dinner consisting of raw Hirame and medium rare beef, my husband threw up, developed a fever and had horrible stomach ache. He ate some stomach medication that we brought but by morning still wasn't feeling better so we requested for a doctor.

The only thing this hotel did for us was transport my husband to and back from the hospital five minutes away. The doctor's diagnosis was gastrointestinal infection due to bacteria or virus from unclean food from dinner.

We reported this to the hotel with no response from them. At checkout, there were no real concerns expressed, no discount of any kind, no reimbursement of doctor fees and no apologies issued. While I was waiting in the room with kids, they were more concerned with when we were checking out than how my husband was doing at ER. They later let us stay a bit over checkout time and that was their only response (the cleaning lady did tell me that room wasn't occupied for the next night).

When we left the hotel, they pretended as if nothing happened and just asked generally how was our stay without acknowledging the fact that their food caused us food poisoning!

We are very disappointed with the way the hotel handled emergencies and will not recommend this hotel despite its strength in reputation and room size.

Side note, another major downside is there are only dangerous gas heaters in the room and none from hallway to the bathroom so it was freezing going to bathroom at night.

• Stayed: January 2012
56  Thank Scorpio33
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Kamenoi Bessou is such a renowned establishment and therefore my expectation was already very high. No dissapointoment however, I just admire this traditional Japanese inn.

We felt at home more than at our real home.

It is just off the main street of Yufuin town, therefore convenient for sightseeing. We arrived by public bus from the airport at Yufuin train station, where we consigned to the tourism office our baggage to be directly delivered to the inn, and enjoyed walking through the Yufuin town taking time. (The delivery service is called Yufuin Chikki and we paid some 500 yen. They do this to all hotels in town.) Kamenoi is located at the other end of the main street. It is more precisely off the main street and therefore very quiet.

The architecture is authentic Japanese and so was our room.
There seem to be some half western rooms with beds.

We loved our room. The main room with a small corner with a small and cute tea table.

They prepared the in-room hot spring bath for our arrival:when we entered the room it was already full and running: ready to take a bath.

The inn and its rooms are old but no fault in cleanliness and one can tell it has been well maintained over years.

Air-conditioning in room was a bit noisy for me, now being used to European heating systems. It is difficult to avoid this in Japan.

We did not book in-room dinner. We alternatively ate at the restaurant within the inn, which is open to public. It was very good. Breakfast we had in-room was most delicious.
They never imposed in-room dinner, whilst many other high-end Japanese inns do.But it was actually stupid to miss it here.
To my experiences, accommodations which do not impose eating in often serve very good food. A result of their confidence? We will not fail to have in-room full dinner next time.

We also tried the in-house bar. Most relaxing. They have a quality selection of cognac and calvados which pleased us.

To sleep, the down duvet was light and warm, and furthermore they placed a Yutanpo (rubber container filled with hot water) between the duvet and futon matress towards the end of them. It was so comfortable and such a heart-touching service.

Miku, who served our room, was just marvelous with subtle attentions. We felt well taken care of.

Impossible to blame anything on this inn. Throughout our stay, so soothing and healing. I think they are not just polite, but they really think hard to make guests happy.

The main street of Yufuin seems to be becoming a bit touristy. This inn is to quietly savour authentic Yufuin.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank porta
Reviewed 10 October 2008

I have stayed in many many hotels as my family just loves traveling and I have to say, this is the best hotel/ryokan I have ever stayed in.
there were lots of trees surrounding the ryokan, so that you feel like you are being cocooned away from the rest of the world.
When we arrived, we were welcomed with refreshingly cold towel, as the weather was still quite hot at the time, cake made out of red bean and there was free flow of plum liquor, coffee and grapes we can help ourselves to!
the next day, we left the ryokan early to venture into town, when we come back, a few minutes after, one of the ryokan staffs came into our room to prepare green tea and serve us red been cakes.
dinner was amazing too!. served in our ryokan, it was shabu2 one night and japanese keiseki the other night. at night, after dinner, you may go into the lobby area to listen to music being played from an ancient gramaphone or venture to the library where they stocked up on numerous japanese books.
breakfast was equally scrumptious. the yogurt was so refreshing. the egg and sausages were flawless. the grilled fish for the japanese breakfast was very fresh too.
the big onsen place was amazing to say the least, taking a bath there made you feel so serene, one literally forgets ones worries and troubles.
when we checked out, they gave us small gifts of the local delicacies. turned out it was some kind of peanuts. it wasn't something expensive, but its the thoughtfulness! our family was so impressed.
oh, before i forget, laundry was free, but they dont do dry clean.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank pikapika57