“The Real Jamaica” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yerba Buena Guest Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Robin's Bay
Yerba Buena Guest Cabins
Ranked #2 of 2 Robin's Bay B&B and Inns
Nicholasville, Kentucky
“The Real Jamaica”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Yerba Buena Farm is tucked away in a corner of Jamaica away from all the tourist traps which give so many visitors a false impression of what Jamaica really is. Staying here will give you a view of Jamaica few people see. Real people, real fruit utopia, great meals, serene ocean views with hammocks to enjoy the sea breeze, great conversations with your hosts and overall a genuine experience. This is a place to learn and relax. You can try your hand at farming or enjoy one of many excursions available that your hosts can arrange.

My wife and I stayed here for two months and can say with certainty that our hosts were pleasant, fun, hardworking and made certain that we were safe, comfortable and that we experienced Jamaica the real way. Whether your stay is long or short you will enjoy your time here.

Room Tip: These are real Jamaican cabins. Don't expect a 4-star hotel room. Your showers are outside, your...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cody K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Went to visit while they were rebuilding after the hurricane, and huts were (at the time) primarily used for interns. We did not stay overnight, but spent some time during our stay to visit. The place felt like you were walking into eco-paradise. Under the forest canopy is a hand made clay oven, bee-hives, and tones of fruit trees and vegetable gardens, private beach, locally sourced materials for the cabins. Their private beach is cozy and great for a dip. Agape and Kwao are wonderful people that make the stay top notch. They are very involved in their community and are great sharing their knowledge about bee-keeping. I hope to see them and their family again soon!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Davis, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I had the pleasure of staying with Kwao and Agape and their boys for 10 weeks in the beginning of the year. I had an amazing experience. They were very welcoming and I instantly felt in step with their lifestyle. The location is beyond beautiful, nothing compares to waking up in the morning and seeing the ocean practically at your doorstep. Definitely not a place to go if you are looking for the typical all-inclusive resort experience, but if you don't mind a little more of a rustic environment then this is your place. They work very hard there and I learned a lot about daily life in Jamaica. I met so many interesting people in the community and went on the stunning waterfall hike multiple times. I was interning while I was there so I got to work with the bees and on their organic farm. This is definitely not a place to pass up, whether you are looking to work and gain an authentic Jamaican experience or stop by for a visit you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stay here to help Kwao and Agape over the summer as an intern, and it was an amazing experience. They are great people who will make sure you're taken care of and happy. The location is beautiful and a great place to vacation!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed at Yerba Buena for two months working as an intern on their farm. It was an amazing experience that was made possible by a beautiful, nurturing environment. The best part of my stay was easily the people I met. Kwao and Agape are wonderful people who made it their personal goal for me to get the most out of my stay. This included (but was not limited to) taking me on beautiful hikes, showing me the local culture, teaching me some of the language, and generally ensuring that I was comfortable and happy. Their boys also made my experience uniquely fun. They are always willing to play and, if you make nice, will pick fruits for you from around the farm! Which brings me to the food. The food was excellent! It was very healthy and never in short supply. My stay was definitely the healthiest I had ever eaten but I was not left wanting anything else. The physical location of the property was right on the coast and I was able to walk down to the ocean from my cabin in two minutes. They have a little beach with a beautiful view which is perfect for hot afternoons. The lodging they provided was very nice and private. I loved having a hammock to relax and read in right outside my cabin. Overall, I had an unforgettable experience and would highly recommend Yerba Buna!

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Yerba Buena offered an amazing and authentic experience for me and my family. As a writer, I loved the opportunity to use the time and space to write by the sea! Agape and Kwao are very generous and offered not only an opportunity to learn about the beautiful surroundings of Robin's Bay, but also a chance to eat delicious food! A great experience!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Clarence Town, Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed at Yerba Buena for one month because I served as an intern working on the farm. I requested to have my own space- so they gave me my own room. I requested to eat as much wholesome food as possible- no problem. When I wanted to investigate different herbs and plants- they showed me. Working the garden was what I came there to do and it was absolutely (and of course, positively) my favorite part. Their garden is huge and roughly 60ft above sea level, so every time you look up from the dirt you see ocean waves and hear a calm breeze. I learned everything that I possibly could have in one moon cycle thanks to Kwao (and Agape too, but I worked with Kwao almost everyday and he was so good about showing me how to do something and then letting me find my own rhythm that it really gave me a lot of confidence in doing the same tasks in a different situation).

Aside from the internship aspect was also the total cultural immersion. Robins Bay is, quite wonderfully, in the middle of nowhere. There are some little shops around where you could buy a toothbrush but mostly there are people's homes and their gardens. At 7 in the morning you hear reggae. If you run into someone on the road, they genuinely want to talk to you for a minute. You get to hear patio all the time. And you get to sample so many different, healthy, Jamaican dishes that it never got old.

Jamaicans love to sit and talk to each other about virtually anything and everyone has their own opinions. And because people lack the distractions that most Americans have, the things that they discuss are always more organic and ultimately more wholesome. So one of the best parts of my excursion was talking to the family and getting to know the people who surrounded them. I'll leave it at that.

I look forward to my return.

Room Tip: Just be honest.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business