“Decent meal, nice roof”

Ranked #30 of 56 Restaurants in Lutterworth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2017

Popped in for an early evening meal...good choice on the menu, very reasonable prices, not spectacular but certainly value for money. Bar staff a little slow in dealing with waiting customers, but apart from forgetting the coffee, table service was attentive and efficient. Butchers Treat, which is really sausage, egg and chips, is a bargain! Plenty of room outdoors to sit and drink beer...next time then!

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

Visited as an ad hoc unplanned event
On arrival, clearly a yokel local place
Ordered drinks and two mains
Nothing risky - lasagne and chile
Great portions but my lasagne was an oil slick
Dripping in oil.... yuk
The chile was ok and we could t be bothered to complain for fear of being burnt at the stake by the old locals
Pity as it seemed ok ish as a place - the Greyhound over the road is much better - but as it was raining we didn't cross over
Big mistake
Sweet menu was poor and old school
Don't bother wasting your time here unless you're over 70 with a solid stomach....

2  Thank johncoote69
egeLeicester, Owner at The Shambles, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2017

Thank you for your inappropriate comments
We have a wide age band visiting our Inn
And guess what cheese is greasy
As for being burnt at the steak we have now installed stocks to lock people in and throw sponges at
Its such a shame that people need to come on here and write offensive comments perhaps an ounce of decency you could have spoken to us so we could have the opportunity to correct any grievances you had

Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

I've just read a few of the one star reviews on here and I'm wondering if these people actually visited the same place as we did.
My wife ordered a dry rose and that was excellent apparently, nice and cold as it should be.
I ordered a pint of pedigree which was lovely. (Someone wrote that the pipes need cleaning. Rubbish) I like to think I know a good beer and this was a good beer.
We ordered food, myself a chicken club sandwich on white toasted bread which I have to say was right tasty and good quality chicken.
My wife had a jacket potato with cheese which I'm told was excellent, and very large.
All in all a very good visit and polite staff.

Reviewed July 31, 2017 via mobile

Went in here on 29th july and the name is correct the place is a shambles, sticky tables covered in salt, the only pub I have ever been in where the main attraction was the chase on the TV, so loud you could hardly have a conversation, went to go into the restaurant side but there was a group who obviously thought they owned the place as when we went to walk in they were all stood round blocking the way and didnt even attempt to move out of the way, will not be going back, even the pork scratching were off

2  Thank johnclowsley
egeLeicester, Owner at The Shambles, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2017

thank you for taking the time to review our inn
Maybe the people who were blocking your way (as we were very busy that evening)would have responded to a polite excuse me.
As for the pork scratchings clearly not as these are delivered to us daily from our butcher, but I have passed on your comment.
there are 2 entrances (both clearly signed),to the restaurant.
Sticky tables we have 2 left as we have replaced all the tables in the pub these will be replaced as soon as possible.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

We have been to the Shambles before and had a reasonable.meal. To be fair my husband had the fish and chips and that was okay. He did ask for soggy peas but got ordinary peas. I had the pie it was horrible the pastry was soggy and inedible. Think it had been warmed in the microwave. Shortcrust pastry needs to go in the oven and come out firm. There was no one to show us to a table so in the end we just sat. Service was okay but the staff didn't appear very often so if you wanted anything you had to go to the bar. Wont be going again.

3  Thank karen_evans2011