“Would not Recommend!!!!!”

Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Crown Point
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks in November. We were VERY disappointed. We did not realise you could not swim from the small untidy beach at the Hotel becuase of rocks and coral. The room was OK, very clean, fresh towels and maid service every day. Most of the staff were friendly. The grounds were nicely kept but the food was very poor. We paid for an all inclusive stay. Big mistake. When we got there the only alcohol was ONE bottle of rum, the drinks however did improve as time went on (as did the food a little but only when they had some weekend visitors from Trinidad) although there was no Vodka until Thursday? Breakfast was practically the same everyday, chopped up hot dog sausages in tomato sauce, eggs, bread, cheap margarine, pancakes. We had bacon three times, cheese twice and butter twice during our fortnight stay. One day there was no margarine (or butter) as one of the chefs had gone home with the key. Another day the bar was very late opening as one of the managers had the key. After some time I suggested someone ring her and ask her to bring it back!!!!!! The evening meal was usually watery soup (no bread), fish or chicken, rice, dry coleslaw with no mayonnaise followed by cake or ice cream for dessert. There was never any fruit, yoghurts, snacks or anything available during the day. Several guests did complain to the management who I must admit were very helpful but it was too little too late. Sorry, but will NEVER stay there again or recomend it to anyone.

Jo
Devon UK

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Jo B
There are newer reviews for Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort

Reviewed 12 November 2011

I would say that my experience at this hotel was more than I expected. Clean, bright, beautiful view and lovely staff and food. The rooms were equip with cable tv and Air conditioning for your convenience. They have a dinning area, breakfast area, a bar, many pools and a jacuzzi. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It's near the airport and beaches.

Room Tip: Rooms on the third floor have a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 10 November 2011

My boyfriend and i stayed at the resort for only two night but it was definitely worth it .i would returned in a heart beat. the grounds we clean the staff friendly.our room were clean upon our untimely check in. each day our towels were change beds made and room cleaned.the fully air conditioned room with walk in closet cable t.v and mini refrigerator was prefect and i must say even thought breakfast was late the hotel bar, jacuzzi and amazing flora surrounded pools made up for it. I enjoyed my stay to get away.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lystra y
Reviewed 4 November 2011

At check-in on my arrival from London via Grenada my booking was cancelled but the receptionist made some phone calls to re-check my reservation then gave me a big room on the third floor with views over the Caribbean Sea. She further stated that the TV is not working properly but to compensate offered dinner for the duration of my stay which was a lovely thought

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Nigell
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed at Tropikist for our honeymoon and we had a wonderful time.We had convesation with alot of guest who said they were having a great time. Our room was clean and every day our house maid would put fresh petals on our bed. The staff is very friendly. The hotel can do with some paint work but the grounds make up for that. Afer reading some of these reviews we decided to write this review. Like every hotel Tropikist is not perfect however it is a great place to spend your vacation. After reading some of these reviews I wonder if some of these people went on a vacation or,they went to inspect the hotel so they can be a part of the bad review gang. We must remember that what we do to others will be returned to us. I will recomend this property to anyone.If you should decide to stay at this hotel, remember that like any other hotel things will happen. I stayed at biger hotels than Tropikist and had problems and i was not so evil to try and damage the hotel.Some of these reviews are so disgustin. SHAME ON YOU ALL, SHAME ON YOU...

Room Tip: room 44 is nice
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mANDY p
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Hi we are just back from our holiday in tobago, and we have been to tobago many times and stayed in many hotels there. the tropikist we found to be a lovely hotel, the staff are very helpful and obliging and the hotel pool and grounds are great. ~the room was fine and fit for purpose the towels were lovely and soft and changed everyday our bedding was changed during the week and the maid came everyday to clean the room, The choice at breakfast was good the cook always had our omlettes ready for us and always with a friendly smile. For a 3star hotel thie tropikist is very good value for money, it is within walking distance for store bay and pigeon point and near enough to the airport to walk there. Don't believe all the bad reviews you read about this hotel we would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Veronica G
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I read the reviews to this hotel prior to booking my stay October 16-October 21. They were pretty bad. I’ve stayed at numerous hotels in Tobago but we decided to give it a chance. It’s a bit long but worth the read.

Upon arrival around 1 PM, we were told our room was not ready. This was said without the young lady even looking on her computer to see if our particular room was ready. Hmmm... We left our cell phone number for her to call when it would be ready. At 2:30 we received a call that the room was ready.

The room - The room itself was nothing to talk about. Two double beds, a dresser and a small night table. Big sliding glass door leading to a fairly good sized balcony with two chairs and a table. Walk-in closet. The bathroom was pretty bad. Another reviewer for this hotel said there was PVC piping in the bathroom and lo and behold, the towel rack was truly PVC piping! The towels (which I'm sure used to be white and fluffy) were old and grungy and that is no lie. This hotel does not provide hand towels or washcloths. There are also no complimentary toiletries in the bathroom. The shower is small with an old looking plastic shower liner. The water coming out of the showerhead sprayed everywhere because of the rust on the showerhead. Toilet was tricky to flush. It took me two days to figure out the trick to flushing the toilet. Good thing my aunt figured it out immediately! And the hot water faucet was really the cold one and vice versa. The ac worked well and the mini fridge kept out beverages nice and cool.

The pool and the grounds are the only good things about this hotel. Very nice pool and jacuzzi. The grounds are very clean and well manicured. And one would expect that since the groundsmen wake you up every morning at 6 AM to begin mowing, cutting, blowing, scraping and every other noisy thing groundsmen can do at that hour. (No sleeping in at this hotel!) The hotel clearly puts money into the grounds, leaving every other aspect of the hotel to its own demise.

TV – Lots and lots of channels!!! This was good.

Internet – There was wi-fi however the signal strength was poor the entire stay even though I was very close to the hotel welcome area.

Make sure you do not want a cup of coffee or tea or hot water or ice if the restaurant is not open. They cannot provide this to you. In the alternative, it would make sense to put a cheap little coffee maker in each room to make coffee or tea but instead there is an empty water jug which you cannot fill unless the restaurant is open!

Beach towels - Make sure you bring your own beach towel. The hotel offers towels, however, they must be turned in by 7 PM even though the desk is open after this and the pool is 24 hours. If you do not return the towels by 7PM, they will automatically charge you $120 TTD even if you return the towel the next day. What an absurd policy!!!

Beach – very small area. However, it doesn’t matter because you can’t swim at the beach anyway. There are warning signs telling you not to swim. Truthfully, the water was pretty rough. I am a good swimmer and I dared not venture into the water. Go to Pigeon Point.

Dinner - We decided to get the breakfast only option because we know the island and wanted to do our own thing for lunch and dinner. However, we decided to have dinner there on our very first night. Good thing we didn’t pay to include dinner because I would have been angry if I had prepaid to eat that food every night! Dinner was a choice of stew chicken, beef or soya. Buffet style. We walk up to the buffet and got a portion of dried-up macaroni pie, callaloo, and I think peas and potatoes (can't remember.) salad and fish broth. I chose stew chicken but my aunt, who is a vegetarian, wanted stewed soya. Well, they had no stewed soya AT ALL even though it was advertised on the menu. The food was cold and nothing tasted good. Of course when it was time to pay, they wanted to charge us for two dinners. I explained that my aunt received no stew soya and she doesn't eat meat. So we were just charged for the stew chicken dinner. Good move.

Breakfast - watermelon, cereal, sausage (which is really a mixture of cut-up hotdogs with ketchup and onions) potato, pancakes and roast bake. They also had made to order eggs. Perfect! Except, the cook couldn't deliver on this. First day, I watched him make two omelettes for other people before it was my turn. Terrible. I asked for scrambled eggs instead. I asked for cheese but he said there was no cheese because they used it all up in the macaroni pie the night before. (Shocker, because there was little if any cheese in that dried up macaroni pie.) Next day, was told there was still no cheese. I'm like really??? You have no cheese on this entire compound?? Someone who worked there over heard me and said yes there was cheese and they went for the cheese. However, they placed the entire block (it wasn't shredded) in the egg and cooked the egg around the cheese!!! What??? Next day, cook says oh, I bet you want cheese. I said no! I had no idea you would place a block of cheese in the egg instead of shredding it. He then shreds the cheese but puts the cheese into the egg mixture BEFORE cooking the egg! (Those of you who know how to cook know this is a no-no.) I just shook my head because this guy (who says he went to hotel school) doesn't know how to cook the basics! Next two days - went to Rosie's and House of Pancakes!! We had had enough of Tropikist's breakfast!!

Birds do join you for breakfast but it was not as annoying as I thought. The breakfast area is open and they put a wire mesh thing up to keep the birds out. I have to assume that was the purpose but it failed miserably because the mesh doesn’t go all the way up to the ceiling nor does it go all the way to the ground. So the birds can still join you by either flying over the mesh (which they do) under the mesh (which they do) or THROUGH the mesh (which they do!) So what’s the point of the mesh? To keep people from jumping ship I guess!

The bar – Warning: the young ladies here are not really bartenders. They only know how to make the 7 or 8 drinks that are featured on the drink menu. So don’t ask for a gin and tonic, or sex on the beach or long island ice tea or a martini, shaken not stirred, or anything else the average drinker may want. (And do not ask for anything with cranberry or grapefruit or coconut water. They have orange juice and pineapple juice. That’s it!) I ordered a drink for $34TT and gave the young lady $40TT. She pulled out her phone to use her calculator. (True story!) She gave me back $5.50TT. I stared at my change in disbelief thinking that maybe I’m the crazy one. I said, miss, you owe me $6 dollars not $5.50. She did not question my math and gave me an additional dollar WITHOUT TAKING BACK THE CHANGE!! I said miss, I now owe you back the fifty cents. She stared at me blankly as I gave her back the fifty cents. This is who is running the dinnertime bar!

On checkout day, we asked for a courtesy room to stay in until 3pm. They obliged which we really appreciated. Thank you! We relocated to the courtesy room and left the hotel to finish business. Upon return to do final check out, I discovered this courtesy room is just that…a room. There was no running water and no toilet paper. So I walked to the reception desk to find out if there was a bathroom facility I could use. I was directed to the pool facility. An employee said, Hmph! I don’t even use that bathroom! I hold it! Well, I had to go. There were no lights so I had to leave the main door open so the natural sunlight could filter in. There was toilet paper and the toilet flushed but there was no soap and no paper or air dryer to dry your hands.

At least the grounds look good right?

We hopped in our vehicle and drove as fast as we could away from this hotel!!!! Never again!!

Room Tip: Tip for a good room? Book at another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
8.4 km away
Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort

Been to Tropikist Beach Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!