“Great little hotel w/nice staff”
Review of Shepherd's Inn

Shepherd's Inn
Ranked #3 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 January 2011

We spent 6nights at the Toucan Inn in a Garden Room. Our friends had a Pool room and 1/2 the size w/tiny bathroom so would recommend spending $20 per night for much better and quieter room!

Restaurant staff super friendly, food a bit slow and pricey even for Tobago, good bar service though!
Clark and Roberto especially friendly!

The pool was wonderful and so was the Dive shop "R & Sea Divers" in the back of the property. The staff very professional and skilled.

Previous people have complained about the animal noise....anywhere in Tobago there are tons of birds and roosters (and goats), so i would say "if you don't like it stay at home!"
Also the cleanliness of the rooms are great. 2 gals spend 15-20mins per room each day cleaning, and always spotless.
Do appreciate the mosquito coils the burn near pool and restaurant at night.

Overall a beautiful setting, just be prepared to walk about 10mins go water, or if rental car, no problem...recommend "Sheppy's Car Rental"!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank potatofish

Reviewed 25 December 2010

My Husband and I had a great stay at the Toucan. It was a birthday trip for the both of us and was well worth it. The complimentary breakfast was ’perfection’ especially the salt fish and bake. The only thing is that they need outlets closer to the bathroom. The surroundings and the service made up for that though.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JennPenn97
Reviewed 5 October 2010

My stay was pretty good. Breakfast is complimentary and tasted great. Only stayed for one night though. The cozy little poolside cabana was sooo cute. The only problem was the the air-condition turned on with a wall switch and controls were not available to adjust the temperature so I was freezing by half-way through the night. Also, the pool cloeses at night, which is understandable as it is right next to the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sboo99
Reviewed 23 January 2010

I have just returned from a 3 and a half week holiday at Bonkers. It is our ninth visit to this delightful hotel in Tobago. It is a small friendly hotel consisting of 20 rooms, poolside cabanas and garden rooms. The rooms are simple but spotlessly clean and air-conditioned. Lush gardens with many colourful birds. The staff are very friendly and efficient.We have made many friends over the years whilst on holiday at Bonkers. Part of its charm is that because it is small you always getting chatting to people and we have always had a great time. We have always been for Christmas and New Year, but this year are returning for another stay in May. We found the island a little quieter than in previous years, but essentially it is the same. I would thoroughly recommend a holiday at the Toucan Inn.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carole993
Reviewed 17 January 2010

The rooms are old and not clean. The floor was greasy with something.
One day I got good tuna from restaurant the next day my husband orderd it came with overboiled macaronis.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MikiEstonia
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Toucan Inn was recomended to me by a friend and what a good recomendation it was, there are too many names to mention at the resort who made my holiday the best so i will just mention Lisa, Troy & and Kerwin. the room was spotless every day, the food was different and very good every day, the staff were so polite and helpfull all the time. I spent Christmas and the new year (called old years night) at toucan inn and they do know how to trow a party, I have booked to go back this Christmas. when out and about i found the locals very friendly and helpfull and not allways with a hand out expecting a tip,
Tobago has not yet seen a boom on tourism like other Caribbean islands which allows everyone to see the real beauty of the island.
My final thought is having Christmas day and new years day on the beach is so unreal when your used to snow. I recomend Toucan inn ( Bonkers ) and Tobago it's self.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Garveys47
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Before going to Tobago I read lots of comments from many people on Tripadvisor and definitelly chose Toucan Inn when I read it was the "Authors choice" in The Lonely planet travel guide.
Perhaps after all those great comments about the place I was expecting more than I actually found.
In my opinion the hotel is overpriced and for the same amount you can stay at the Crown Point Hotel ( it was fully booked when I tried).
The cleaning is very poor. Don´t check behind the bed... I think they apply a kind of chemical product on the floor that is very sticky.
Towels and sheets were very clean though.
The garden room is bigger, dont stay near the pool, as some others have already writen, its smaller and noisy.
Get used to cocks screaming in the morning, they are everywhere and if you check their neighbors, you will find a farm of them.
The Philipines´s people who work in the restaurant are nice, but service is slow.
The people from R & Sea Divers are very professional
Mr B is a really nice guy but dont forget, he´s working, there´s no free lunch.
The staff in general dont smile. Actually, people from Tobago dont really care about tourist, which is weird once they live from tourism.
The last two days I killed four cockroaches in my room. I complained in the reception but they said nothing. Absolutelly nothing.
Well, I tried to write (with my bad English) what I saw and I agree with others who wrote that there´s nothing to do there in case of rain. There´s no fridge in the room so dont be thirsty during the night and no TV. Take some books just in case.
I wouldnt stay there again.
Vi&Lu

Grafton Beach Resort
#2 of 2 in Black Rock
9.1 km away
Turtle Beach by Rex Resorts

Been to Shepherd's Inn? Share your experiences!