Review Highlights

from US$13.90
More Info
from US$200.00
More Info
All reviews rock formations tour guide holy week entrance fee flashlight hiking pesos antipolo church
Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

It is indeed mystical! Better to go along with tour guides for you not to get lost. Rock formations was very astonishing. Advisable to bring a flashlight with you and plenty of drinking water it’s a stiff road up ahead before you reach the caves and the top of the mountain is just a superb view of Antipolo. It’s best to see the sunset but I would advise commuters that it’s hard to get a ride back to Antipolo proper when it’s too late. They charge 50 pesos each person for entrance fee. One thing that they should improve are the restrooms not so pleasant and tourist friendly though.

Reviewed October 17, 2017

My son left me a note before going to work a week ago saying he wanted to visit the cave i mentioned when we were searching for a house in one of the subdivisions overlooking its location. And so we did. After bringing my mom to church, I told my two kids we'll be heading to the cave. The hike going to the cave's entrance is fairly okay. Inside you will see the shiny stalactites/stalagmites, crystal clear water, and "religious" rock formations. You will also notice that the cave smells like fresh water - doesn't smell like bat poop :-) You will be assisted by a tour guide. They will give you the history of when and how the cave was discovered.

3  Thank scorp1107
Reviewed May 25, 2017 via mobile

A lot of hiking. Very very beautiful. Check out the cave and once done climb up to he top of the mountain for a view. Will see chickens and pigs on way up! Be prepared to get muddy!

Reviewed April 16, 2017

Not wanting to join up with the thousands of people heading out of town for the holy week, my wife suggested a nearby attraction/destination that would be worth going to, that wouldn’t take up the entire day. We agreed to head out to the Mystical Cave in Antipolo. It took us just a bit over an hour to get there from Katipunan avenue via Marikina, on a Black Saturday, so I’d assume it’d take around 90 minutes on an average day. It’s situated at Barangay San Luis, Puting Bato, Antipolo. It’s plotted on Waze and it’s searchable on Google Maps too.

It’d be fairly difficult to get there without your own vehicle, and quite easy to drive up in your own. I guess if you’re over 50 and not very physically active, you’d find the long and steep flight of stairs getting to the cave entrance beyond the main gate quite strenuous, but if you pace yourself well, it should be nothing to be concerned about. The place is run by a community of friendly folk who’ve come to depend on visitors for livelihood, and they’re generally polite and helpful. It’s the tricycle drivers you should be wary about, since they tend to take advantage of tourists (I’ve read accounts of them charging ludicrous rates when heading out of the area), if you happen to just commute to the cave.

Anyway, on the last kilometer when you’re about to ascend to the dirt road leading to the cave’s vicinity, someone will flag you down for a P20 fee per car, and he’d (dodgily) explain that the area’s on private property, hence the fee. I figured for that amount, I shouldn’t bother quizzing him about it. Driving to the area, a bunch of vendors and small food stalls will let you know you’ve arrived (I think there’s a small sign too). Entrance to the cave is P50 per head, and a guide can accompany you (recommended), and their fee is up to you- like a tip, I guess. The guided tour would probably take around 45 minutes, but you get to dictate your pace and explore more.

The cave is huge, and quite impressive. Naturally it’s a bit humid inside, but comfortably cool. Bats don’t settle there, so there’s no odor of guano. It’s actually little birds locally called “Balinsasayaw” (Philippine Swiftlet) that live there, and they’re harmless and hardly seen. It’d be nice to have the cave to yourselves, but even if there are groups of people around, it takes a lot (like going on a Good Friday) to congest it. Fascinating formations of Stalactites and Stalagmites are everywhere, and sections of the cave are lit with electric bulbs, so you can see them well even without the aid of flashlights. Flashlights would be useful to light the path you’re walking on for safer footing- so it’s suggested that you bring your own.

The guide’s spiels are on the mystical aspect of the cave, pointing out formations that do resemble shapes of Christ, Mary, the apostles, and several other configurations and combinations of them, and with the power of suggestion, they’re even more apparent. Whether you’re a believer or not, you’d understand why many make pilgrimages there especially during holy week. There’s even a section there that they call the cathedral, which would surprise you- since after going through an entrance just big enough for one person stooping down to enter, it opens up to an area about half the size of the entire cave with even more impressive formations to see. The cave was discovered in 1970 by a lady named Nelly Deles, who dreamt of it when she was a child. Looking all over the Philippines, she finally located it in Antipolo. Legend has it that when it was discovered, the entrance was the size of a mere coin, and by blasting an entrance, the whole cave network was revealed. Despite its huge size, we only explored the first level. We’re told that there are seven levels more, underground- and the entrance to it looks daunting to say the least. Obviously, you should only explore its lower levels if you’re an experienced climber/cave explorer, with proper gear and competent companions.

Wear dry-fit uppers, as you’d certainly work up a sweat if you decide to explore more thoroughly. Use rubber shoes with “teeth” or soles with aggressive tread patterns (e.g. hiking shoes), as flat shoes can get slippery on the moist rock surfaces. Bring flashlights, your own water, and of course, a camera as lots of areas are photo-worthy as you’ll see from my post. I suggest partaking of snacks you can buy outside after touring the cave, to help out with the local community’s commerce, and they’re not bad at all. I’m sure the halo-halo and Kwekwek tasted much better after exploring the cave for over an hour. Right next to it, is the climb to the White Cross, which deserves a separate post. Overall, I’d say touring the Mystical Cave was an experience everyone should go through at least once, as it really is impressive; an educational experience for kids and adults alike, a good opportunity for family bonding (especially if Netflix and eating out is the norm), and a nice way to support local tourism without breaking the bank or taking too much effort in any way. Enjoy! ☺

12  Thank ardieclicks
Reviewed October 23, 2016 via mobile

The place is not known, we asked few people and some of them doesn't have any idea where the place is. I highly suggest you bring your car for commuting will be hard tho i don't know how much it will cost. Our group was the only visitor that time and we were fascinated by the view especially the crystals that is everywhere in the cave. Our guide was very kind and approachable. We even reached the top which the cross is seen. The hiking went fine and it made us really exhausted! It was a nice experience overall!