“A hidden treasure at the hills of La Cruz, Riviera Nayarit”

Villa Bella Bed and Breakfast Inn
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I spent 4 days at Villa Bella and I want to share the great experience I had in this amazing place.
I arrived in a sunny, quiet afternoon; Elsa, the owner, gave me a very friendly welcome with a big smile and a cocktail and showed me the place and my room.

I was amazed because I had no idea that hidden in the hills of La Cruz, was a place with such charm and the personalized service we all crave for when taking a time off our busy lives.

While unpacking I could not believe the views I had in front of me, the sea had a deep blue color, the boats where anchored at the Bay, balancing to the rhythm of the waves. I could see and hear the sea gulls, the doves and soon, the sun started to fade in one of the most beautiful sunsets I ever saw…

I read a bit by the pool living and feeling the wonderful surroundings, while it was time to get ready to visit La Cruz and go dinner to a local restaurant.

My choice for the first night was La Cruz Bistro, so I got ready and went down the hills to discover what La Cruz offers to visitors and locals.

La Cruz de Huanacaxtle is a fisherman´s little town that was suddenly taken by the fast develop of the Riviera Nayarit. Located only 20 min. north of Puerto Vallarta International Airport, it´s a picturesque town with cobblestone streets.

La Cruz de Huanacaxtle honors it´s name to the legend that a native Mexican woman was buried under the shadows of a Huanacaxtle, a local tree, and that as a tribute to her, a big cross was carved in the body of the tree. Since then, all the locals started to use this place as a sign for meetings: let´s meet at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. The tree and the cross are in the middle of a roundabout in the main street that ends at the sea shore. Here, you will find the local Fish Market where you can buy fresh seafood and the best fresh fish around! I know many Chefs from the restaurants come to buy here their products that later on the day you can enjoy at your table, each one adding their own “magical touch”

From this point you´ll also get to the new Marina Riviera Nayarit, a world class marina recently opened, that hosts more than 340 slips, ranging from 31′ to 400′ each with top quality services that can accommodate even the largest vessels sailing the Pacific Ocean.
Here a variety of Nautical events are hold each year; Boat Show Latin America, Expo Nautical 2006 Marina Riviera Nayarit, Fishing Tournament 2009 Riviera Nayarit, Mexorc and much, much more!!

The town is originally a fishermen town, that has been growing but without loosing the ingenuity; the peace and the authenticity are the signature of this place, just what makes it so special. All this combined with the emerging development of the area, lead to the opening of many nice restaurants, art galleries, bars and street stands where you can find all kinds or excellent food. All this very close to some of the most beautiful beaches of Banderas Bay: La Manzanilla, Destiladeras, Punta de Mita, Careyeros, etc.

I arrived to La Cruz Bistro Grill, and since I saw the building I fell in love!! even before entering the restaurant, you get caught by the French accents like the windows with the cute curtains, the door and the general appearance of the place.
A very friendly waiter opens the door for you and Voilá!! you suddenly are in a very contemporary French Restaurant, full of very nice and original details in the decoration and a small cellar that immediately caught my eye (yes along with the French manager that is très beau too! girls, keep an eye on him!)
The Menu goes from the original French Onion Soup, to the many fancy dishes product of the great imagination of the executive Chef Jean Michel Channal.
I had a great time, enjoyed a delicious dinner: Tuna tartare with beet Vinaigrette, Lamb chops with green pepper sauce and Lemon sorbet with green tomatoes and Tequila marmalade, all very well paired with the wines recommended by the Maître, I had a nice chat with the many tourists that packed the place that night and went back to my beautiful, provisional home at Villa Bella.

WOW!!! the palapa, the pool, the casitas and the garden were nicely illuminated and I have no words to explain the beauty of the view of the Bay at night, specially directly from the balcony with full open doors of my room!!!

I can’t even explain to you the three nights I spent there, I was constantly opening my eyes to enjoy this view, directly from my bed, feeling such peace; many emotions and thoughts came to my mind, feeling the night cool breeze, it´s like being on a cloud enjoying a piece of heaven!!!

I saw the sunrises, the lights of the Town fading while the sun was changing the colors of my surrounding: the sea, the palms, the trees, the flowers…
I woke up each morning feeling blessed, very relaxed and of course, invigorated by all this beauty!

Rosa, the cook had the breakfast ready in the mornings, I sat at the table with a typical Mexican setting and got fresh coffee, fresh orange juice, fruit, Mexican home made bread, fried plantation and eggs each day to my choice. All this surrounded with flowers, birds, art crafts and the incomparable company of Elsa, the owner. A wonderful hostess that made me feel at home.

Now picture this in your mind…you are having your breakfast while you see the boats at the Bay, some of them are the fishermen boats leaving or entering the bay, the palm trees balancing to the rhythm of the cool early morning breeze…in the background, at a low, comfortable volume, you hear the caressing voice of Alejandro Fernandez, one of the most beautiful voices in Mexico singing romantic Mexican songs (ok this was my choice of music for my dreamy moment, you can ask Elsa for the kind of music that inspires you, but I recommend you this one, really!) Now, back to our pictured moment…sip your fresh orange juice…take a deep breath, enjoy the moment…close your eyes…and when you open them, if you are as lucky as I was…you might see a couple of whales and their baby playing at the bay, jumping and showing off their impetuosity, their beauty… can life get any better than this? I guess not!!!

I spent the days reading while tanning by the infinity pool or under the palapa in the afternoon. Sipping a Margarita or a Piña Colada. Relaxing my senses, meditating…I even asked Rosa for a Guacamole or something to keep the stomach happy before getting ready for another dinner.

The second day I went back to La Cruz Bistro Grill (no, I didnt go to see again the handsome manager hehe) I went because I was craving for the Onion Soup!! and believe me, I wasn´t disappointed at all!

Last night, my choice was Frascati, an Italian restaurant located just in front of the famous Cross, La Cruz de Huanacaxtle.
The staff is warm and friendly, the place invites to spend a happy familiar dinner and their cellar offers a very good wine list too. I was very happy to get the recommendation of Mexican and Italian wines that paired perfectly with my dinner, one of the signature dishes of the Chef Miguel Angel Hernández: Fetuccini Fruti di Mare…yummy!!!

The dinner was delicious and time passed fast fast, so I went back to Villa Bella, because I didn’ t want to miss a second of my last night at this magical place.

If you want to feel as blessed, relaxed, as I did. If you want to enjoy some days of privacy, fulfilling your senses, thinking and being grateful from this beautiful life, if you want to run away from the stress, the city noise, the pressures of business life, the routine. If you want to boost the romance and passion with your partner, or if like me, you need some time with yourself to think about what you want to do in your life, come to Villa Bella Bed & Breakfast, live it, feel it…I am sure it will be as great as mine!

Viva México!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 January 2010

We got the pleasure of FINALLY staying at Elsa's Villa Bella Bed and Breakfast on our wedding night! Our room was very clean and fun! Very comfortable bed and a beautiful view. Unfortunately we had to get up and leave somewhat early because of our post-wedding brunch, but the pool looked so tempting and the breakfast smelled wonderful! We promised we would come back to eat the tasty breakfast! Elsa is a wonderful person and host!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tinyterpjen
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We traveled to Puerto Vallarta to attend a wedding at a traditional resort. Very nice resort, but when we checked into the Villa Bella the accomodations improved. The Villa Bella is a great place. We were fortunate to stay in the Owners suite which has an outdoor kitchen and outdoor living room, but all of the other rooms are very nice. The service was first class, the people were wonderful and warm, and the rooms and views can’t be beat. The breakfasts were great and prepared by the very nice Rosa. I cannot complement Elsa and her staff enough for the great time that we had at the Villa Bella. We also enjoyed the local beaches and the restaurants in the little town below. I recommend El Rey Bombon.

Now is a great time to travel to Puerto Vallarta. Crowds are thin and the dollar goes far. If you want something that is unique and not the typical resort, then Villa Bella can’t be beat.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2009

What a gem!! We still dream about the hot chocolate, the margaritas, the warm breakfast & the incredible service that we received at this B&B. This place is such a gem! We felt so special and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Villa Bella in Puerto Vallarta Area is located about 12 miles north of the PV airport. It has a commanding view of the Bay of Bandareas, Elsa the proprietor trreated us with uncommon courtesy. She assisted in making reservations for us, advised us on the best beaches and restaurants (Frachetti Restaurant in the local pueblo) and made us feel like honored guests. Our room, the Primavera was large and well appointed, with a view of the sun coming over the mountains in the morning. It had a lockout bedroom, where our teenage daughter could sleep thus preserving privacy.
The breakfasts were bountiful and delicious. My wife enjoyed a message offered on the premises.

Here is a jumping off place for a much more relaxing vacation than the hustle in the city of PV.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We were in the Puerto Vallarta area for a friend's wedding, but wanted some time on our own so booked stays at B&B's and palapas throughout the region during an extra week's stay. We began with a stop at Villa Bella, and could not have had a better spot. Arriving in early December, just before the tourist season, we were the only guests. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, from the beautiful views and lounging by the "infinity pool" with great views of La Cruz, to the breakfasts with Elsa. Especially loved the fresh fruit and the coffee, prepared with cinnamon. Didn't mean for it to take us so long to write this review, but we are finally catching up and contributing some opinions about our travels over the last couple years, and had to let Elsa and staff know what a wonderful time we had. Hope to be back someday!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beaneey
Reviewed 1 May 2008

My husband and I just returned from Villa Bella in La Cruz, where we spent a glorious 8 days with my parents. Elsa is a beautiful, bright and lovely hostess...Rosa, the cook extraordinare, met us each morning with a fabulous full breakfast, and a smile that warmed our hearts the entire day. Elsa also was so very helpful with scheduling activities and making inquiries for us.
The setting is high and the view of the bay is amazing, and such a sense of peace! The beds were wonderful, the linens...so white and so fresh! It truly exceeded our expectaions...a true gem in every sense of the word. Also, the village of La Cruz is small and charming...really nice to be away from the crowds! Our favorite restaurant was Frascati's, right in La Cruz and absolutely fabulous...and oh, the fresh fish!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
1.6 km away
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Matlali Hills Reso...
#1 of 2 in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle
16.5 km away
Casa Velas
Casa Velas
#2 of 123 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to Villa Bella Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!