“Moderate Mountain climb”
Review of Platteklip Gorge

Platteklip Gorge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Platteklip Gorge is a national park trail of Table Mountain. The route that takes you the most directly up to the Cableway. Learn more about the various routes of Platteklip Gorge hike which takes place on Table Mountain tours and visit our website.
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

Great and safe route to climb.You can climb for free or with a guide.Every Tuesday you can climb with Bazz tours for 1 South African Rand with a free tour guide.Just leave a tip at the end.Awesome experience.
Not an easy climb beware.

All reviews
"average fitness"
"starting point"
"carry water"

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

This is a tough climb, doable but be prepared with good footwear and plenty of water. Also, start early!
We started around 710am and reached the summit around 830am. The gorge provides ample photo opportunities of Cape Town and also straight up the side of Table Mountain. So don’t be afraid to stop for a photo or two while you catch your breath.
My wife and I found the trek down to be significantly harder than the trek up. I think this was due in part to the extra heat as it was around 1045am that we started to descend, also, we underestimated how much water we’d need. 2Lts between us wasn’t enough. The views are totally worth it though!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed April 1, 2018

We set off early and had a fabulous climb up and back down Platteklip, the views at the top were incredible, as was the bird life too.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank jlparkinson101
Reviewed March 22, 2018

The hike up here is amazing. I loved every minute of it. The path is moderately easy with the necessary stamina. We started at 4pm, so most of the track was in the shady cover of the mountain. Big plus on a hot day. Took us 90 minutes. I figure the way down must be way harder on the knees