“New favorite steak place”

La Calesa Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 316 Restaurants in Chihuahua
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: La calesa Restaurante bar de tradicion y abolengo, nace por empresarios chihuahuenses para empresarios y sus familias , brindando un ambiente exclusivo entre amigos.Abre sus puertas el 14 de septiembre de 1965 , y ahora ya con 47 anos de servicio sigue siendo punto de reunion para una excelente convivencia.Con especialidad en cortes y comida internacional , y ahora con la introduccion de nuestro vino tinto de la casa ,hacen de los chihuahuenses , de los visitantes del pais y el mundo , el lugar obligado para comer.
Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

From the moment we walked in everything was perfect. They had glasses of our favorite red wine - Casa Madero, 3V. We had home made Caesar salad. We had delicious filets (steaks), cooked perfectly with a choice of sauces.
The service was perfect.
We went to an Argentine restaurant a few nights before and were sorely disappointed. La Calesa exceeded our expectations. We will return.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed February 19, 2018

This restaurant was recommended to us for traditional Chihuahuan cuisine in an upscale setting. The restaurant décor was nice. The service was quite good. The food, however, left quite a bit to be desired. The cut of steak my wife ordered had so much grizzle and sinew she really couldn’t eat too much of it. The creamed spinach consisted of uncooked raw spinach with a hot flavorless cream sauce poured over it. We ordered dessert, and there was a long black hair right in the middle of my cheesecake. I sent it back and they brought me another piece with no complaint, but it was very obvious that the chef is running a very loose kitchen. This restaurant was VERY pricy by any standard. We paid about $3,400 MEX ($180 US) for a meal for two with one bottle of inexpensive wine (the wine was only about $500 MEX). For theses prices the quality should be MUCH higher. Would definitely not eat here again and would not recommend it. At least until they do some house cleaning in the kitchen.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed July 28, 2016

I've been here for lunch twice now and it has been excellent. Excellent service and they seem to sincerely care that you are you enjoying. Take time to explain the different steaks. We tried Mochomos for dinner and I wish we had just gone back to La Calesa again for dinner. A typical example of don't judge the book by its cover. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed April 8, 2016

We were driving past and I made mention that there is the famous La Calesa. So, a few hours later we were taken for a surprise meal. I believe the problem for us is that we don't have lunch as our main meal of the day. Being taken for a steak at 1pm is not really how we eat and we weren't even that hungry. Fortunately the aromas make you able to eat, but not a lot. So, to make it worth it as it's priced like a steakhouse in a US city, my husband ordered something unusual that they said is one of their choice cuts, and I ordered a salad and would have some of his steak for a steak salad as that was not on the menu and no way he would finish his. It was as soft as they said. However, we prefer beef well done and it was only cooked medium. I ate a bit of the red part that he refused and though I didn't hate it, the point is an elegant high end steak house listens to how you want your meat prepared and they didn't. (He speaks perfect Spanish by the way.) I kept saying he should send it back but he said he'd had a sufficient amount and wound up throwing away about 1/3 of a steak, which is a waste. As for the atmosphere, there's a piano there so I would think an evening on a weekend might make for an elegant dinner out, and I would give them another chance on such an occasion, but not again for lunch.

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed February 9, 2016

The food is average but the cost is to high, looks nice and the service is good but they has lost a lot of ground vs the new restaurants in town.

Date of visit: August 2015