“Simply Lovely 🦉”

Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Cullompton
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Popped in for lunch after a local walk (13/11/18), been in many times before and this place consistently delivers a truly fabulous experience! Today was no different, lovely warm welcome, great drinks selection, lovely local pub vibe. The restaurant waiter was very young but offered a service level way beyond his years, well done lad.

What I really love about this place is the guys there all really seem to be working together as a team and all seem to genuinely enjoy their jobs, this for me is a massively important part of any successful restaurant.

The food was served in an efficient manner and was absolutely delicious! Potentially the best meal I’ve eaten in there...and I’ve had a few in this place. I understand there is a new Head Chef at the restaurant, hats off to him as he seems to have raised the standard above its already very high standards. Also, loved his menu ideas, I could’ve picked any of the starters, they had my mouth watering before id even reached that mains...and the mains were equally exciting, good to see his passion bleeding through to his menu.

If you’re in the area and looking to eat, you really must give these guys a shot, it’ll be one of the best culinary choices you’ll make locally.

Can’t say enough positives about this place, absolute gem of a place. Well done to all who work there, your tireless efforts to deliver a seriously great product were certainly not wasted on me. Keep up the good work and thanks for a memorable afternoon.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed November 3, 2018 via mobile

Called in for lunch on the offchance,my wife had red mullet Which was OK but I had it of my favourite things calves liver but I had never had it presented like this , great chunks, nothing like you would expect. Staff were pleasant enough but food very disappointing

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 23, 2018

Really nice traditional pub. Friendly staff, well kept cellar and exceptional food. Although we are normally carnivores, we chose the vegetarian tart and risotto: both were as good as we have tasted.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 13, 2018

We turned up, hungry after a long journey, at 7.30 on a Friday night, We hadn't booked but were greeted in a friendly fashion and given a choice of a table in the bar – where local patrons gave the authentic pub atmosphere – or an adjoining dining room. I enjoyed a hoppy 'Fraid Not' (4% abv) by Exeter Brewery, and my wife, a Rioja that she deemed excellent. Two young people, friendly attentive and efficient, took our orders and served us the food within a few minutes. Our duck breasts were rare as requested, the dauphinoise potatoes, tasty and the vegetables exceptional: varied and subtly herbed. As well as other desserts/puddings, ice cream was available by the scoop, so much better than the usual minimum of two or three scoops. Full marks! Nigel & Vivienne Wood

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Nigel W
Reviewed September 29, 2018

We use to be regulars at the Ashill Inn for lunch every other weekend, and this was our first visit since the new owners. The food is still nice, but we found that the menu was not so varied and only offered the specials board. The food offerings was previously exceptional, but today, although very nice, it was not in the same league. I had the gammon, which was served as your usual horse shoe gammon, previously a nice gammon chunky steak, my son sausages and mash, he enjoyed it, and my wife, the chicken, she also enjoyed it, but all dishes had too much pepper sprinkled over it.

I would not hesitate to return, as we love this place, but a few more options would be so much appreciated.

Staff are great and friendly and certainly a service with a smile :-)

Date of visit: September 2018