“Lovely break”

and 1 more site!
Cottage Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Carbis Bay
Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

My partner and i just spent 8 days in tbis wonderful hotel and had a wonderful time we were on a alfa tour with a driver from henshaws called suzie who was also very good the hotel and staff were brilliant and the choice of food excellant all the staff were very helpful particularly richie our waiter and his friend cynthia who was behind the bar nothing was too much trouble for them the manager also was very helpful its just a great shame this hotel is closing laye next year as it is spotless and we would have gone back to visit it again our thanks to the manager and all his wonderful staff who went out of their way to give us a great holiday
Glynnbarb

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 September 2017

the hotel was big rambling building, very clean and comfortable and large rooms. location was easy access to railway and beaches although corbis bay was quite steep hill to get to but scenery so lovely

Room Tip: i think they have some sea views but good views from all sides
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank C7054MXchristineh
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Cottage hotel is a wonderful place however in some instances a little old fashioned , ideal place to go close to St Ives , easy access , disabled suitable , has lift however small
Meals are good but on some nites were not pleasant

I advise you to try

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank Daniel E
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Food fantastic, something for everyone and the staff work very hard to please nothing is too much trouble. If you want more food you ask for it.

Location is good , not so good if you are unsteady on your legs as it is hilly. 2 minutes to the station to St Ives £2 return approx 5 minute journey. St Ives is gorgeous but very busy. Not much around the hotel to walk to except the stunning beach at the bottom of the hill. Getting back up takes some effort.

Hotel is dated but clean. Nothing to moan at in the room. Towels and bedding fresh, beds comfy and water very hot. WI-FI is best connection I ever had in a hotel. The only thing that the hotel needs is a bit of extra outdoor seating. The pool was warm and very clean.

All in all a great hotel .

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2017

myself and 2 daughters (24&18) stayed at this hotel last week 6th-12th Aug and it was lovely.from walking in the door to leaving saturday morning.Our room (number 26)on the 1st floor was spacious(a double and 2 single beds) tho i do have to say the beds was very hard.the bathroom had bath and shower which was excellent and the sea view was lovely to sit and watch from the big picture window with morning coffee. The food was nice and of good quality and plenty of of...more if you wanted it.Our waitress Christine was very quick and polite and nothing was to much trouble. In fact we found all the staff to be very helpful and polite....Ingrid the bar lady ...what a scene of humour!! The hotel its self is a little 'dated' but its comfy and welcoming,i would return again without hesitation.All in all The Cottage Hotel cant be faulted. Thank you for a great week :-)

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 29 July 2017

This hotel is almost on the beach, a few minutes walk from the little shuttle train that runs between St Erth and St Ives which is only two minutes ride from Carbis Bay. I enjoyed beautiful views from my room on the second floor (number 70). But to get into Carbis itself you need a car as the walk up to the town is far too steep for most people. The hotel is pleasant enough. The staff are very helpful and a couple of them are really lovely. I found the hot water in my bathroom too hot, almost boiling. I had dinner there the first night but I thought the portions were too small (and I speak as one who doesn't have a great appetite). Thereafter, I dined in St Ives. The wifi was free and had a good connection! My room could have done with a good hoovering before I arrived as there were bits on the carpet and the dusty corners and edges hadn't been cleaned for a while. The bathroom sink wasn't wiped down in the mornings, but there was a new toilet roll provided each day. Overall, my stay was pleasant (although the bed was a bit too hard for my old bones).

Room Tip: Room 70 overlooks the beach! Breathtaking views during the day, and at night you can see a big sky...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank JuneBug1939
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I felt I needed to write a review about this hotel as there is good and bad.
The reception was fine and the welcome was really good. I think the cleanliness was ok it just felt sad and neglected in parts of the hotel. The staff were very nice and helpful. My friend and I were given designated seats in the dining room which is good but unfortunately( and not really the Hotels fault) were at the back of the restaurant in the semi darkness with no windows where we were sitting for the duration. It felt so dismal away from the picture windows. The service was very good and the evening meals with a choice were excellent which we thoroughly enjoyed. When we went into the toilets in the restaurant area the toilet seat was crooked which I thought was bad and was avoidable. The breakfast choice at the table was very good but on walking in and looking at the buffet counter my friend and I thought was bad. The choice was two fruit juices and water. There were about three cereal choices, the fruit consisted of two choices and half empty in small dessert bowls, no croissants or any other niceties. The room was ok and a nice size. When I walked in, I had to laugh, the toilet roll had been put on the holder with the end of the toilet roll holder poking out through the middle of the actual toilet roll. The pictures were pretty rubbish and some quite random with what seemed to me to have had no thought when hanging them. The room was a very nice size with a lovely picture window for the gorgeous view. The radiator had been attached to the wall with a metal bracket which no-one had bothered to paint white.
I had been looking forward to a swim everyday, but when I walked down to the swimming pool it was dirty with leaves in it and it was meant to have been heated, it was very cold and took me ages to have a quick swim which thoroughly spoilt things. Needless to say I didn't go back. The small pool was full of sand and looked grubby also. On asking about the pool when I went back, I was told the boiler had broken. Because of the general run down feeling of the Hotel, I didn't quite believe this.
On our last day we were meant to have been leaving at 8am but didn't get away until 10 because a window in the coach has to be fixed. Alfa Travel took two hours to sort something out with the other coach driver who was also at the Hotel. This is absolutely disgusting. Whilst waiting I spoke to another passenger who was waiting as well and she told me this Hotel was going to be sold but couldn't find a buyer. No wonder I felt this Hotel was rundown. There were pluses and minuses. On the plus side, St.Ives is delightful and there is a lovely 40 min walk to town or if you can't walk that far, there is a little train that runs there just a few mins away from the Hotel.

The Hotel is on a cliff top and access to the beach is really difficult. If you have a walking or breathing problem, do your research.

The Wifi is intermittent but it is free.

Hope my review helps you.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
0.3 km away
The Gannet Inn
The Gannet Inn
#2 of 4 in Carbis Bay

Been to Cottage Hotel? Share your experiences!