Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Nova Scotia Wine tour

I booked a wine tour for a birthday party of 8 women. It was so much fun. The pricing was great... read more

Reviewed October 21, 2018
Kel G
Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia
via mobile
Bus Tour

Richard was a fabulous tour guide! We had an intimate group of four. We went to Peggy's Cove, SS... read more

Reviewed September 15, 2018
olafkarr
via mobile

All reviews nova scotia wine wine tour delicious food tidal bay layla wineries wines
Reviewed January 24, 2017

If you enjoy wine, delicious local food, great conversation and are looking for a "wow" experience, a private, customized tour with Go North Tours will deliver beyond your expectations. We hit up three vineyards, tasted lots of wine and had an absolutely lovely meal at Le Caveau. Laila, the owner and tour guide, is simply amazing and her vast knowledge of wine making in Nova Scotia and passion shines through! Thank you!

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed December 2, 2016 via mobile

Have used the Internet and Trip Advisor in the past to research all land tours, especially when on a cruise. I find if you do your homework you get a much better, personalized and value packed tour than when booking through the cruise ship.
With that being said, this time I got the raw end of the deal.
It should have been all that I was told it would be, but, because at the last minute Laila got another booking she was not our guide as was stated and expected.

The following is the email I sent Laila after the tour and the response she sent me. Not what any of us expected.

Lila,

I was awaiting an email from you prior to writing my Trip Advisor review, but, since I didn't hear from you I just wanted you to know mine and my fellow traveler's thoughts on our Halifax tour.

Prior to your vans arriving I was telling my friends how I much rather go by Trip Advisor and private tour companies as opposed to the cruise company's tours as they are normally more expensive and always more crowded and less informative.

Originally I read about you in the reviews which made me contact you and when I booked, it was you, who we were going to have as our tour guide.

Jeremy was a very nice guy; but, a tour guide he was not.

We were probably out of the pier at least 15 minutes before I finally had to start asking questions to get him to speak.

Enjoy great conversation is what you said in your synopsis of this tour and is what I'm used to from any other tours i've been on. Jeremy did not deliver on that front for sure.

Almost every question was answered with "well, I really don't know the answer ".
When we arrived at our first stop which was the S.S. Atlantic Heritage Park, he said this was his first time there himself.

He certainly didn't even try to prepare for the tour by reading up on anything a visitor to Halifax might be interested in knowing.

He was an honest guy because he didn't even try to hide the fact that this may very well have been his first time doing this tour.

We know he has done the wine and craft beer tours and that he owns two restaurants and my guess is, that is probably his normal tour of choice.

We always tip very nice sleep, but, with me booking the store and my friends saying there was no way that they were going to give him a send, as much as it bothers me not to tip, I couldn't do so either. There was nothing to tip for.

We left there not knowing too much more than we did when we arrived.

Jeremy never told us how much time we would have at each stop but, afterwards would always tell us we were running a little late.

Keeping that in mind, after lunch he was on a business call and we were in the van (he motioned us to get in the van and closed the doors) while he was still talking for another five minutes. We of course were sweating as the minivan was less than comfortable for six adults with no AC on.

Again, we did see you pull out of the ships parking area in the nice comfortable larger vehicle with large viewing windows and we were stuffed in the smaller vehicle.

You as a businesswoman certainly should have at least greeted us and also checked to see how things went afterwards, but you didn't which made me think you knew you dumped us for another group of six and knew we were not in capable hands as you said we would be in your email right before the tour.

All of my Trip Advisor reviews have always been glowing because we were totally satisfied and sometimes the tour guides even exceeded our expectations and of course they were rewarded even more so.

Not this time, and more than anything the fact that you, Lila, the business owner, didn't even reach out, and then try to rectify the calamity which was supposed to be our tour of your beautiful country is really upsetting.

Would really love to hear your thoughts on this prior to me replying to Trip Advisor.

Utterly disappointed,

KA

Laila's Reply
No compensation whatsoever.

Dear Karen,

Thank you for your email and feedback and I do hope that my reply will address all your concerns.

Originally I was to do your tour but was received another booking for that day for nine people. They requested a customize tour with an extremely detailed itinerary and I knew Jeremy wouldn't be at ease with the stops or material included, given that his strength is wine tors so I had to do it. Because they were a group of nine, it called for a lodger of my two vans. I certainly didn't dump you for this other group. I am fortunately was my experience Peggy's Cove guide, Ashley, to going back to school this fall so Jeremy is filling in for the last few weeks of the season. It had been about a year since he had done the Peggy's Cove tour and the S.S.
Atlantic is a new stop to the lineup this year so he's just getting to know it.

As for the conversation being difficult in the beginning, I have a policy that when driving out of the city in busy traffic, to wait until out of the city before starting into the commentary. There are very bad drivers in Halifax and we need to focus on driving first for the safety of our passengers. I believe Jeremy should have politely conveyed that he wanted to get out of the city to concentrate on driving before getting into the talking. If he didn't make this clear, I am sorry.

Another policy of mine is that if you don't know an answer, tell them that you don't know rather than making something up. I've been on tours all over the world where it's quite obvious that the guides are making it up and I think you'd rather an honest guide rather than being told lies. I myself, have had many guests stump me on questions and I am honest in saying that I don't know the answer. There is just so much to Nova Scotia's 400+ years of history and culture that you can't know everything.

If Jeremy was saying that you were running late it was because he was concerned about getting you back to the ship on time. There were four ships in that day which is busier than usual and is stressful for us guides. It is a concern for us because of higher volumes at Peggy's Cove and the titanic gravesite and your ship's time in port was shorter than usual. I myself was concerned about time with my group as well.

I design my itineraries to include places that are of popular interest like Peggy's Cove and the titanic gravesite but also places that are off the beaten track which other tour companies don't offer.
I believe we did deliver on this with the SS Atlantic Park, which should have been quiet and peaceful as well as scenic and educational – quite a difference from the bustle of Peggy's Cove. The interpretive center guide at the SS Atlantic should have shown you through the center and given you good information as well. I hope you found this as well at the Hydrostone neighborhood when talking of the Halifax explosion – another place that the large tour companies skip over. I do also hope that you enjoyed
Your lunch at the quaint Finer Diner - another place that only locals know about!

I had no idea you were less than satisfied. I've never had a bad review of Jeremy in the three years he's been with me so this today quite was a surprise. I not only conduct the majority of the tours, but I am also wearing about six different hats in the business. I don't follow up with every single tour otherwise I may be working 23 hour days. I would have loved to have greeted you and your group when you got off the ship however my group was already off the ship waiting for me and were very anxious to get going. I'm really sorry we didn't get a chance to talk in person. At Peggy's Cove, when I let Jeremy know about the parking situation, there were cars behind your van so I couldn't hold up traffic by talking to your group.

I do appreciate your feedback and I only wish I had the power to clone myself so I could do all the tours!!
It's me that does 90% of the tors and it's mostly me that is getting the reviews on trip advisor but in the peak season I simply can't do it all. I trust my guides and train them to the best of my ability but in the end, they aren't me.

I do hope this explains your concerns. If there is anything else I can do to answer your questions or to rectify the situation please don't hesitate to ask!

Very sincerely,

Laila North
Go North Tours

We were a party of six adults that have traveled extensively and have never had as disappointing a tour as this one. Good luck if you decide to use them.

2  Thank KarenARingwood_NJ
Reviewed October 28, 2016

Thanks so much Laila. Your tour of the Gaspereau vineyard,the lunch at Sea level craft beer Brewery and then the Distillery Barreling Tide at Port Williams, followed by a tour of the Annapolis Cider Company on Main St. Wolfville was a great day of laughter and fun. Your willingness to share your knowledge and passion for your work will be remembered fondly. Cheers, until the next time.

Ann.M

Reviewed September 18, 2016 via mobile

Our tour guide Laila was GREAT! I went on a bachelorette tour from Halifax. The drive was quick with lots of history and bachelorette games from our guide. Both wineries we visited were beautiful and offered 4-6 samples of wine. There were delicious snacks prepared for us and the burlesque dancing was so much fun! Highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed September 10, 2016 via mobile

If you love wine, food and a bit of history this tour is for you! We had a wonderful well rounded tour, loved that it was interspersed with fox hill and tangled garden. Laila was very knowledgable and laid back and made everyone feel comfortable. The wine and food was stellar as well. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone.