“Too Many Children”

Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Herradura
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

If you are looking for a family getaway and have lots of small children who like to make a lot of noise then this is the perfect spot for you. But if you are looking for a quiet romantic adult vacation, spend your Mariott points somewhere else. Nonetheless, I guess that was to be expected since it was during spring break and kids like pools and what you read in other reviews about the pool is true. The pool is great. The food is good. We didn't think there would be any kids at the swim up bar, which is also nice, but there were. Oh well. One more thing to add that I didn't see in any of the other reviews: If you walk down the beach in the direction opposite the marina (turn left instead of right) there are three local restaurants that feature fresh seafood and more of a local, Costa Rica flavor compared to the marina which we thought was sterile and didn't have much personality. Nice place but next year we will be going to the Marriott in Puerta Vallarta the week after new year's.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen J
Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Had a great time at the Los Suenos Marriott. I'd definitely stay here again. Perfect for my family. It had something for all of us. My son was happy to spend all day in the pool by the aqueduct & look at animals, my daughter loved the pool & took advantage of the kids club activities. My husband played golf. My entire family was thrilled with the quality of the WIFI. We were within 15 minutes from Jaco, zip lining, aerial tram, ATVing.... I feel like we got the best of both worlds with relaxing at the resort & being a short taxi ride away from some great adventures. The service was GREAT the food was good albeit expensive (we expected that) but got a little boring so we ate "off campus" a few times (Bambu & TacoBar). We did get to see many animals on the resort, tons of iguanas, lots of bats, a coati & 2 Scarlett Macaws.

Tips:
-Be prepared, the ride to the resort from SJO is kinda long and if you get car sick sit up front or bring your Dramamine.
-Definitely bring your mosquito repellent.
-If you plan on doing ANY tours, bring close toed shoes.
-Many times going directly through the tour company rather than the onsite Swiss Travel is less expensive. (We did zip line and ATV tours through Adventure Tours in Jaco & Tranopy family tour directly through Rain Forest Adventures Pacific. I recommend all.)
-If you want to see monkeys go to Manuel Antonio.

Hope to make it back next year!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank catchmyflight
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Excellent accommodations, and the best service you can get in a hotel this big. Beach is ok but the pool is just great. Food?: 3 over 4. Highly recommended

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are much better than the others, but they are nice
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

As a Marriott Member and CC holder, I wanted to stay at this resort for the points. While I am glad I did, I would not return. The hotel has great amenities, an amazing pool (one of the best I have ever seen), great service, good food, great wildlife (Iguanas near the pool). However, with the chain, I was disappointed with the amount of iPads and electronics in the area - it obviously did not give you a feel of the country). As with other reviews I read, the beach is horrible. The main thing wrong with this hotel is that it is built in the wrong part of the country. Los Suenos resort area is gorgeous - go to the marina if you do stay. However, I would skip this area and go straight to Manuel Antonio and find another local hotel. Be sure to have a car to get around or pay money for taxis - nothing really around to get to within walking distance.

Room Tip: Our "No View" room still had a view of the golf course and resorts up on the hill.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bballer21
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Everything about this Marriott was excellent except the location. The resort grounds are beautiful and expertly-maintained, but the brown-sand beach is not attractive nor does it seem that Marriott does anything to clean or maintain it. The pool is very large and immaculate, though, so you can just ignore the beach (take a tour to Tortuga Island for better beaches).

If you'd like to eat away from the resort, there are good restaurants at the nearby marina. El Pelicano is a short walk down the beach, and there are also good restaurants a short cab ride away in Jaco (Graffiti, Lemon Zest). I also recommend adventurediningcr.com.

I wish the Marriott offered a first-class shuttle service to/from the airport, as the roads and taxis in CR leave a lot to be desired. If you rent a car, pay for the insurance as the companies can be very picky on return. Get their GPS, too, as many exits and roads are unmarked.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank SRfromAustin
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We just returned from Costa Rica....stayed 5 days at the Los Suenos resort......amazing food and amenities. The pool was great for all ages with a beautiful swim up bar....breakfast buffet....casino and golf club....iguanas everywhere....one of my best vacations ever!

Room Tip: The higher the better....no insects in your room!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bjmh136
Reviewed 25 March 2012

After reading some of the negative reviews I was approaching my visit with some trepidation. Upon arriving, however, I was not disappointed. Our room was very clean, the staff was friendly and the front desk was helpful. Many of the negative reviews, I believe, are based on unrealistic expectations. Clearly, there is no white sandy beach. This is due to the resort being located on a quiet, calm cove on the Pacific coast. The area has rivers from rain forests emptying into the ocean. These rivers deliver muddy water onto the adjoining beaches. The beaches are rocky. Duh! The mountains come down to the shore. I have stayed at other spots on the Pacific coast with white sand and surf. At one of those places I had to sign a waiver warning me not to go into the water due to the strong currents. You can't have it all. The same goes for the complaint that the resort is too touristy. You stay in a resort owned by a big American hotel chain and then complain that it is too American. Go figure. Even the Costa Rican towns in this area are touristy. That's because this is what the locals do to earn money. And you are not captive to the hotel restaurant. There is a wonderful flagstone walkway that passes under a quaint arbor of trees from the hotel to the adjoining marina where there are several nice restaurants and shops. there is a shuttle leaving the hotel hourly into the nearest town, Jaco. Consult Trip Advisor for the best restaurants. The reviews are pretty much spot on. Maybe we are not as demanding as others but we found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The front desk filled out travel forms for us and called restaurants to inquire about times and reservations. Our room was always clean. Yes, it is not a cheap place. Again, if you want cheap, there are cheap hotels all around. Even in Costa Rica, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank baustin5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herradura
3.6 km away
7.5 km away
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
39.3 km away
Tango Mar Beachfront Boutique Hotel & Villas

Been to Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!