“Great pub!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brew House On The Grand B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fergus
Brew House On The Grand B&B
Ranked #5 of 8 Fergus B&B and Inns
Winterbourne ON
“Great pub!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

We heard about the new owners and thought we'd check it out. It was a cold wet Tuesday night in October and the place was almost full. A great selection of local and imported draft served by friendly staff. The ladies had the grilled trout and it was excellent in presentation and flavour with generous portions of fish vegetable, and salad. The gentlemen selected wings and fries. The fries were fresh cut and cooked perfectly. The half price wings were meaty with a very good medium sauce (one of several including 'spicy maple'.) All this and $50 per couple including a 15% gratuity.Definitely a cut above our last visit a few years ago. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

There are no hotels/motels in Fergus. I was there on business and had looked up several B and B's on TA. My first 2 choices were full (and this was 4 weeks in advance!) so I tried the BrewHouse. It has very recently been purchased by Jim and Catherine Silburn who advised me that any reference to a loud pub atmosphere (in a previous TA item) would no longer apply. I checked into one of their two rooms and it was very nice. A large bathroom with a whirlpool bath (if so inclined) and comfortable antique furniture and a small fridge. I had a great view of the Grand River from both windows. Jim supplied me with abundent continental breakfast fare and great coffee in my room
I did not eat in the restaurant but whan I left for the evening it was 3/4ers full (Friday night) and not noisy at all. When I returned around 11:00 there were still customers so I had a night cap at the bar and had a great sleep.
I thought the rate was a little high ($125) but it was the weekend rate and less than my first two choices. Car parking was a snap and one can walk to about anywhere in downtown Fergus in 10 minutes or less.
I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

My husband and I went for a drive in the country and ended up in Fergus, Ontario. What a great little town! We found a beautiful room at the Brew House on the Grand--complete with a four-poster bed and one exposed-stone wall, all adding to the ambiance.

There are new owners at the pub and they were renovating the pub and the rooms and are willing to accommodate. Breakfast is simple, with bagels, cereal, yogurt, juice and coffee so if you're looking to go at your own pace instead of an innkeeper's then this might work for you.

The pub quieted down early so after our dinner (their trout is stupendous, and my husband had a great Guinness stew), we were able to relax and get a good night's sleep. In the morning, we snuck down to the pub's patio and sat over-looking the Grand River with our coffee. I added a "star" to my rating just for the view of the river.

Room Tip: Only two rooms and both are undergoing some renovations. Back room has view of river and larger bat...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

I confess, I was worried about proximity to bar (just underneath), street (just below the window) and river (just through the window, haha), but it turned out not to be a problem. Patio crowd and bar settled down in good time. The room was quaint (in a good way): exposed brick, high ceilings, case windows, comfy couch, big ol' bed. Bathroom was old, but was clean and everything worked like it should.

I ate in the Brew House downstairs, and was again happily surprised. I wasn't planning to go there, but the owner encouraged me, saying it served more meals on Saturdays than beer. (I had told her I wasn't interested in drinking beer all night, thank you very much.) The sit-down area was full. Good sign, I guess. If you go, and it's still on the menu, order the trout. Huge platter, big serving.

Staff in the restaurant and the owner looking after me at the B&B were friendly, accommodating, and eager to make a good impression. And they did.

Room Tip: Two rooms only: one has the river view, one overlooks the road. I overlooked the road. There was tra...
Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Katherine B, Owner at Brew House On The Grand B&B, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Thank you for your review. My husband and I purchased the Brew House On The Grand in August (yes, it's a slight name change) and we are working to improve the rooms, the breakfast and every visitor's experience. I'm glad our efforts have already gained some attention!
Keswick, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband and I stayed at this B&B with another couple and although the rooms were very nice, our stay there was not. We understood that staying over a pub could produce noise and we were fine with that. The bar fight was not in their control and after it got broken up, we didn't hear another peep from downstairs, until 3 in the morning when there was something beeping in the hallway.
The Riverview Room had a very comfortable bed and a nice view of the river. The MacHaven Room had a beautiful yet very wobbly four-poster bed. Our friends were pretty sure they were sleeping on a box spring, not a mattress.
My husband and I were excited about using the large bathtub with jets after a walk in the cold weather but there was absolutely no hot water. As it's an old building we let it run for at least 10 minutes to warm up, but no such luck. Our friends also had no hot water and only a drip coming from their taps.
The next morning when we went to eat the 2 pieces of fruit they had left us for 'continental' breakfast, we were annoyed to find our apples bruised and brown and the milk expired. So we couldn't eat the cereal they left us or the fruit. When we handed in the keys and told the lady about no hot water, all we got was a 'Oh, I'm sorry'.
We will never stay at this place again, nor visit the pub. Truly a disappointment in such a quaint town.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lcsunflower
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

We arrived mid week, the staff were very friendly and helpful. That’s were it ended. Once we were in our room we explored. The bathroom, the shower rail was taped on with scotch tape and the claw bath tub (I was so excited to take a bath in) was disgusting and stained. Towels were clean. The four poster bed frame was extremely wobbly, the bedding was old fashioned and made out of some type of velvet, but clean. The drawers were missing handles that were kept inside the drawers. The ceiling was peeling and crumbly. The air conditioner was duct-taped into the window! Cold breakfast was included. 2 fun size boxes of cereal that were in a basket kept on the floor. The mini fridge had a bunch of grapes (top layer were rotten) an apple an orange, 2 yoghurts (3 days out of date) and a carton of milk. We decided to make a coffee before we went out for dinner. When we opened the coffee machine the filter had not been changed in a long, long time and was growing its very own planet!!! Mould galore. At this stage we decided to go out for a very, very early dinner with the intent to return after so much liquid refreshment that we would not care where we were sleeping. We returned for the night thinking we could sleep the night away, the noise from passing traffic was horrendous but not as loud as the noise from the pub below. The noise, very loud drunken singing, did not stop until 3am. We woke at 7am, packed our things and left.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Horrice123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fergus
5.2 km away
St George B&B
#8 of 8 in Fergus
10.7 km away
Riverwood Bed & Breakfast

Been to Brew House On The Grand B&B? Share your experiences!