All reviewsadelaide hillsstunning viewscontinental breakfastbotanical gardenspiccadilly restaurantstaff were amazingon arrivalindulgence packagecourse mealspecial occasionhigh expectationslooked amazingservice excellencewent smoothlywedding anniversaryold world charmfabulous place
Reviewed May 2, 2017

The positives are that the building is a beautiful old stately property with lovely gardens and views. The rooms are large and the bed comfortable. We found the staff in general to be polite and pleasant, with the two young men in the lounge bar being both friendly and chatty. However, our experience there was not so great. We had difficulty finding the entrance to the property, possibly due to the heavy fog. When we checked in a $200 deposit was taken on our Mastercard to cover the mini-bar in case we used anything, but when we checked the mini-bar there were items missing and we had to inform reception so that we were not charged for these. On the website for this venue it shows an a la carte menu for the dining room, but when we asked if we could book a table for dinner that night we were informed that the only menus available in the dining room were multiple course degustation menus for either $109 or $160 per person. On asking what other options were available, we were advised that we could order a meal through room service. There was a heavy fog that night surrounding the house and mountain so we decided to order room service and ate it in our room. Although we would have preferred to eat in a dining room, the meals we received were very good. The next night, as the fog had lifted, we traveled the four kilometers down the mountain to Stirling and had a lovely dining experience at one of the restaurants there. After our room service meal we decided to read in bed for a while as there was not much else to do, but the light bulb in one of the bedside lamps was blown. The next day we asked that it be replaced, but that night when we tried to turn it on it was still not working. My husband pulled the bed out from the wall and found that the light was not even plugged into the socket. Once that was fixed the light was fine. Our room was at the side of the building near the steps and a function room and we had people talking and laughing outside our room until almost midnight on one of the nights. Breakfast was a continental buffet which was a lot more expensive and not as comprehensive as that offered at other top quality hotels where we have stayed. If a plate of hot food was required as well, it was necessary to pay an additional $14 per person for this. When we came to checkout time and paying the bill, that was a whole new area of pain. We asked for a print out prior to paying and found that we had been charged for an additional night accommodation as well as being overcharged for the room service meals we had on the first night. It took the receptionist some time to correct everything and we paid the bill. However when we checked our Mastercard statement the next day there was an additional separate charge for an extra night accommodation on it. Three phone calls later, and following a few stressful days, the extra night accommodation charge was reversed and our initial $200 holding deposit was removed from our Mastercard. We had high expectations for our stay at Mt Lofty House, thinking it would be restful and romantic, but although the house and gardens are lovely, our stay was the most stressful that we had during our three week holiday in South Australia. Not on our list for a return visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the function room.
4  Thank JASTOWNSVILLE
Jesse K, General Manager at Mount Lofty House, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2017

Hello Jastownsville,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Your feedback offers us an opportunity to improve our offer to future guests which we very much appreciate. To be chosen as the venue to spend your valuable leisure time is not something we take lightly and I apologize we have let you down in so many areas during your stay. I assure you my management team is committed to addressing all of these issues.

As you have noted, on arrival our normal procedure is to process a credit card authorization to establish a line of credit in the hotel to cover any incidentals whether in the bar, day spa, restaurant or minibar. Our front desk team are trained to explain to guests that this is a hold and will be released by the bank after five to seven days depending on the bank. These funds are not received by the hotel, rather they are held by the bank as security up to that amount for security.

I do apologize that your minibar was not properly stocked, I have met with our housekeeping manager and her team to address this matter. I have also addressed the issues you experienced with your lamp with our maintenance team. These should have been picked up prior to your stay and I apologize that this was allowed to affect your experience during your time with us.

Hardy’s Verandah Restaurant is our new signature restaurant here launched at the end of February and as you have noted is a tasting menu restaurant with the goal to be the best restaurant in the state. I appreciate this style of dining is more appropriate for occasion dining and following the launch and guest feedback we have expanded our offering and are in the process of launching a casual dining option in our Arthur Waterhouse Lounge and Drawing room. This will be available from later this month, I apologize that this wasn’t ready for your stay with us.

I would really appreciate if you could let me know which website has our restaurant listed as with an alacarte menu. I would very much like to amend this to ensure future guests are not inconvenienced.

I have reviewed your feedback about our breakfast offering with our chef and we will keep this in mind in our future product updates.

Your issues with your bill are completely unacceptable and I have also addressed these with our front desk team.

I am very sorry that you didn't receive our normal high standard of service and would encourage you to contact me directly so I can discuss your experience further. My direct email is jesse.kornoff@mtloftyhouse.com.au.

On the other hand I was very happy to hear you enjoyed your time in the bar and our team members.

Reviewed May 1, 2017

We had such high expectations going here, in some areas Mt Lofty House exceeded these expectations. The views are to die for and the peace is incredible most of the time. Our room was comfortable and spacious however, a light globe neeeded replacing and we were missing a hand towel. As far as cleanliness goes it missed the mark totally from my perspective. Dusty furniture & the bathroom needed a thorough clean. I was looking forward to having a lovely hot soak in an indulgant bubble bath, this never happened because the bathroom just didn't feel clean enough for me. I realise I have high expectations but when you book a 5 star break for a very special occasion you should have those expectations met. On the upside the breakfast buffet was lovely & the staff are all very friendly. Would we go back, yes we would there is more good than bad here. In my opinion for a 5 star hotel some areas need more attention because it's the detail that makes the difference from good to great.

Room Tip: Piccadilly wing L3, great views & quieter if there's a wedding on.
1  Thank Linda H
Jesse K, General Manager at Mount Lofty House, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2017

Hello Linda H,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I was happy to read about your experience with our staff and their service level. On the other hand I am very sorry to read about the cleanliness of your bathroom. The housekeeping supervisor should not have released the room for your arrival until the room had been cleaned thoroughly, as is our normal standard. We have received a number of comment recently with similar issues and have met with the team members concerned to address this; I am sorry that these shortfalls in cleaning standard were allowed to affect your stay. Please be assured that my team are committed to addressing this internally I do hope you can return and experience our normal high standard of cleaning.

Reviewed April 23, 2017

The new owners of Mt Lofty House have lofty ambitions to take it to a six star destination. If I take the Hotel side of our visit then there is a long way to go. The room was 3.5 star. They have employed some top staff and the focus appears to be on the very good Restaurant (reviewed elsewhere) and weddings (functions). The wedding business seems to be taking preference over individual guests. I must give great praise to the Spa. Terrific massage, lovely staff, not cheap, but very good. Another area that needs upgrading is the signage. It is there, but once darkness arrives you can't see it and we had difficulty finding the building entrance. Lovely grounds and great view.

2  Thank CraigHW

Hello CraigHW,
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay.
I was happy to read that you felt our staff, day spa and restaurant were all very good. I do appreciate your feedback in regards to lighting and signage. We have received similar feedback in the past and have built a new entrance gate to make our entry very apparent, night or day. We have actually just finished the construction this week and are waiting for the lights to be connected and entry sign delivered.
While we are indeed in planning on construction of six star villas here onsite, and moving our product offering into this space, I do feel we very accurately portray the current standard of our rooms on our website and other online forums.

Reviewed April 22, 2017

We booked a 24 hour Manor Indulgence package for a special anniversary and stayed at Mount Lofty house in room 29 on Sat 22 April 2016. Our package was supposed to include an early check in (12pm) but on arrival at 1pm the room was not ready as they had had a wedding on the previous day and the guests had vacated late. So we left and went for lunch to Stirling whilst we waited for the room to be readied. The receptionist said she would telephone us when it was ready but she never did so we returned at 14:15 and at that point we finally were able to check in. Our package was also supposed to include a 4 course meal, a pamper package and a bottle of sparkling wine. The pamper package had to be prompted twice and was eventually delivered very late. The person who delivered same was very apologetic. They reason was they had 3 weddings on and were very busy. It made us feel like an afterthought....how indulgent is that Mount Lofty? On to dinner ... we arrived at the restaurant and were seated and offered water. Then suddenly an amuse bouche arrived - no offer of a pre dinner drink just a rush straight into the food. We asked the very nice waitress to slow things down and allow us a drink first which she did. Once that was over it was a quick journey through artfully arranged but unenjoyable 4 course degustation menu that left us both hungry ..... hardly the 4 course meal we were expecting. At the end of the meal there was no coffee offered once again not what I would call an indulgent experience. The package included a late 12:00 check out as well but even that was denied us. At 11am housekeeping knocked on the door and basically told us it was 11am check out and they needed us to go. I advised them we had a late check out and they apologised but that was really the final straw we had had enough so we left. The final insult was on receipt of the bill. They opted to use our credit card and charge us a credit card surcharge. Had we known, we would have paid by EFT. On the plus side the grounds are breathtaking. the room was lovely but lacked some of the things we would usually expect i.e. a full length mirror and the promised iPod dock but the other amenities were much appreciated and the slippers were a nice touch. The bed was comfortable and the view from the balcony was lovely also. Overall I would not recommend this package to anyone as I do not believe it represents good value. Also if there is a wedding going on be prepared for really poor service if you are not part of the wedding party.

Room Tip: Room 29 is lovely but ask for a full length mirror.
9  Thank Claude_and_Sian

Hello Claude_and_Sian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience online. To be chosen for the destination to spend your valuable leisure time is not something we take lightly and I want to apologize for letting you down in this instance.
I would appreciate if you make contact with me directly on jesse.kornoff@mtloftyhouse.com.au so that I can rectify this situation.

Reviewed April 17, 2017

We had the standard House Original room with a queen sized bed. Room itself was satisfactory, but bathroom was very small, shower was luke-warm at best, and lacked water-pressure (especially if one happened to sleep in a little). When room was made up - it was simply blankets pulled up and pillows straightened. Bathroom soaps were not replenished. No Lofty heights here!

Room Tip: Don't go for the House Original - it appeared as though the staff were staying in these rooms too.
7  Thank Damien P

Hello Damien P,
Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us.
Our House Original Rooms are in the original house and were once the original staffing quarters. These rooms are significantly smaller than the other room categories however I do feel we have done our best to correctly represent these rooms on our website.
I am so sorry that you had issues with the hot water during your stay. We had part of our water heating plant damaged by a power surge and rectified the issue as quickly as possible once we became aware of the issue. I apologize that this affected your time with us.
I also apologize for your room service. This is absolutely not up to our normal high standards and I have met with the Housekeeping Manager and her team to ensure the team service guest rooms correctly. I respect your sentiment with regards to returning to the property however want to assure you the management team are committed to addressing these shortfalls in your stay.