All reviews canopy tour country house rooms are lovely a special place wonderful hosts get away midlands meander norma toiletries kzn heater relaxation weekend fireplace wedding
Reviewed October 17, 2016

The hosts Norma and Norman (yes how funny is that!) are fantastic.
Breakfasts were yummy- fresh fruit including raspberries and blackberries, yoghurts and cereals. Then your choice of eggs and the standard full English breakfast, but with an extra eg. Hotcakes and mascarpone. Lovely informal garden with a peaceful stream running through it. The house is stunning, traditional wooden floors. Beds comfy. Definitely will return. PS Close to Karkloof Country Club for polo matches and mountain biking. Highly recommended

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2016

Service was great, breakfast beautifully prepared! Hostess was very accommodating to our unusual request. Rooms were beautifully cleaned every day! Room had a fire place, heaters. Beautiful garden with lots of bird feeders to attract the local birds which was a treat!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

Staying at Thistledown is consistently fantastic. Norma and Norman are attentive hosts, room are clean and comfortable and food is excellent. The rates are very good and while located a bit of of town, it really is a perfect choice if you're in need of accommodation in the vicinity.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

I was the only guest at Thistledown on a Monday night. I arrived in the dark but was greeted by Norma who had already sent me the code for the entrance gate. What a gem this place is! I cannot find a single flaw. My room had a fire ready for lighting as well as a heater and a warm bed. Immaculate bedding and thick white towels. The best bath I have ever had at a B and B, a huge Victorian tub with piping hot water and foam bath, plenty of it, not those ridiculous samples you are sometimes given. I slept in absolute silence and darkness. Bliss. But the breakfast!!! Again, possibly the best I have ever had. Beautiful herby sausages, bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms with my eggs, cooked with love. A pot of coffee set me up for the day. Take a trip out here and do the Karkloof Canopy tour while you're at it. It's just up the road.
Faultless accommodation.

Date of stay: August 2016
Reviewed May 9, 2016

Our stay was for 5 nights and we thoroughly enjoyed it. An ideal base for anyone cycling, walking or just relaxing as the surrounding are beautiful. The evenings are very relaxing with an open fire and delicious 5 star food provided by the hosts. The rooms are quaint and comfortable. It doesn't have WiFi or DSTV but we were quite pleased about that for a change. You can still find free WiFi at many local restaurants and cafes anyway, so no problem keeping in touch with things. Overall we loved it.

Room tip: There's a bigger room with a four poster bed that's worth requesting.
Date of stay: May 2016