All reviews country house a special place midlands meander norma birds toiletries heater peace kzn weekend fireplace wedding
Reviewed January 10, 2017

Our utmost appreciation for a heart-warming welcome and stay at Thistledown Country House ... the home of Norman and Norma Maguire. We would love to visit you again as this is place we call home in KZN. We never had a dinner and breakfast as delicious as the one prepared by these two wonderful hosts.

Room Tip: Each room has its own charm and en-suite bathroom. One room has a fire place
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2016

The hosts Norma and Norman (yes how funny is that!) are fantastic.
Breakfasts were yummy- fresh fruit including raspberries and blackberries, yoghurts and cereals. Then your choice of eggs and the standard full English breakfast, but with an extra eg. Hotcakes and mascarpone. Lovely informal garden with a peaceful stream running through it. The house is stunning, traditional wooden floors. Beds comfy. Definitely will return. PS Close to Karkloof Country Club for polo matches and mountain biking. Highly recommended

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2016

Service was great, breakfast beautifully prepared! Hostess was very accommodating to our unusual request. Rooms were beautifully cleaned every day! Room had a fire place, heaters. Beautiful garden with lots of bird feeders to attract the local birds which was a treat!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2016 via mobile

Staying at Thistledown is consistently fantastic. Norma and Norman are attentive hosts, room are clean and comfortable and food is excellent. The rates are very good and while located a bit of of town, it really is a perfect choice if you're in need of accommodation in the vicinity.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2016 via mobile

I was the only guest at Thistledown on a Monday night. I arrived in the dark but was greeted by Norma who had already sent me the code for the entrance gate. What a gem this place is! I cannot find a single flaw. My room had a fire ready for lighting as well as a heater and a warm bed. Immaculate bedding and thick white towels. The best bath I have ever had at a B and B, a huge Victorian tub with piping hot water and foam bath, plenty of it, not those ridiculous samples you are sometimes given. I slept in absolute silence and darkness. Bliss. But the breakfast!!! Again, possibly the best I have ever had. Beautiful herby sausages, bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms with my eggs, cooked with love. A pot of coffee set me up for the day. Take a trip out here and do the Karkloof Canopy tour while you're at it. It's just up the road.
Faultless accommodation.