Ryokan
Miuraya Ryokan(Kuroishi)
Agoda.com
Mori no Akari(Kuroishi)
Agoda.com
All reviewsother guestsoff the beaten tracktraditional ryokanpublic transportfall foliagevalleywaterfallbathstatamikerosenestream
Reviewed April 16, 2017

Magical place completely off the beaten track, lit by gaslight. Cannot imagine how you would get here by public transport. Hire a car and check weather conditions. best to take your own towel and toiletries.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed November 9, 2016 via mobile

Lamp no Yado is one of the most romantic places that I have ever visited. It helped that at the time of our visit the forrest surrounding this inn was in full autumn colour. It helped that we were upgraded to a room in a separate annex with a view out over the waterfall. Even allowing for all of this, there is something magical about a place that is lit only by oil lamps.

The inn is located in a remote and picturesque little valley in the hills above Kuroishi. The road up to the inn is a steep, winding and narrow. The inn itself is attractive and well cared for. The food was good if plain fare, served in a communal dining room, sitting at long tables and helping yourself to rice and miso. There was also a bar where you could buy drinks. This was highly reminiscent of a college refectory, with that informal but inclusive feel, allowing conversation with other guests.

The inn has four different baths, three of which have separate men's and women's sides and the rotenburo which is mixed but which is women only for two hours per day. All the baths are attractive, with great views out over the trees and are truly beautiful when lit only by lamp light. They are all extremely traditional, with pre-bath washing done while kneeling around a large half barrel. In order to fully enjoy these baths you need to leave all Western ideas of modesty firmly at the door, and embrace the Japanese way.

This inn is a hidden gem. Would I go back there? In a heart beat!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jane C
Reviewed November 8, 2016

I have visited a number of ryokans and onsens and this is far and away my favorite. It is like going back to a more traditional time. All of the heat and lighting is provided by kerosene hurricane-style lamps and kerosene heaters. There is definitely a kerosene smell but it only adds to the ambiance.

The rooms are plenty large and very comfortable. Many have doors that open into the next room making a nice room for socializing that can be closed for privacy. More impressive was the view. Our room looked out on a beautiful waterfall that was surrounded by beautiful trees with orange and red fall foliage. All night we could hear the waterfall and stream. It was so relaxing.

The baths were amazing. There was both indoor and outdoor baths of different temperatures. Again the views from all baths were exquisite.

The food makes the all worth the long and winding drive. It was very traditional Japanese mountain food. Soup, rice, fish, and many small salads and mixed vegetables. The breakfast was again traditional Japanese. Miso soup, rice, and an egg soup were wonderful. This was all included in the room price.

The can be difficult, especially in the winter, but it is definitely worth the effort.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike547
Reviewed October 23, 2016

The title says it all. Could be great, but the onsen falls a little short.

Location next to a river and waterfall a few miles in from the nearest main road it very nice. Actual premises are very aesthetic. Rooms are traditional. Our room backed up to the waterfall. Wonderful to hear...

4 onsen pools. Only one had high heat (109F?), and the main onsen had okay heat (105F?). Mixed onsen and onsen near waterfall were almost tepid.

Food not excellent. Not sure if there were menu choices; we chose their normal kaiseki. Not up to the level of good or great onsen.

Now to the weird. Was napping after we checked in. Hotel employee walked in without knocking. I think they put us in the wrong room. She did not speak English, but clearly wanted us to move (I think the the room next door- - why?) .Of course they understood "NO!". That buzz-kill #1. Buzz kill #2 is another employee (I presume) came into our room at 5AM without knocking, I was awake, so no biggy, but wassup????

I was under the impression Aoni Onsen accepts credit cards (had a Japanese speaker confirm this on the phone), but upon check-out was told they only accept cash.

Beware this is a family place. The Japanese being their kids. Seemed like there were lots- and this was an off-season Sunday night..

There are too many potentially great onsens in Japan for me to go back to Aoni Onsen.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2016

Went for two days in July .. it was a fun journey to get there..The place was in a magical location and the onsens were fabulous... accommodations were good and the personel very nice..Was relaxing and just what we needed to re-charge ourselves.. My only compliant would be the food.. We ordered the meal plan that came with room..I think it would be better to order from menu..The food was sitting out for awhile and not as fresh as I expected..mostly same thing food every meal-not much variety- I would go back in heart beat-a true gem ..Was a great experience with some of the loveliest onsens in experienced in Japan..

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends