“Tachikawa felt like home; Tachikawa Grand Hotel was my residence”

Tachikawa Grand Hotel
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Tachikawa felt like home; Tachikawa Grand Hotel was my residence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I visited my brother (who lived in Musashi-Sakai) in March 2011. I chose to stay in Tachikawa because it was near my brother's place, rather economical (I believe I paid less than $800 for an 8-night stay - wasn't finding that rate in more popular areas), and close enough to the Tokyo City Center, although I am used to having a similar proximity to the downtown area in my hometown so I didn't find it as much of a hinderance as others have expressed. (By the way, I had a JR Rail Pass - if you're visiting Japan for a week or two or three, please purchase this. It's valid on all JR trains, including most shinkansen.)

Tachikawa Grand Hotel is surrounded by plenty of stores and eateries. It's also approximately five minutes away from JR Tachikawa Station by foot. Takashimaya and Isetan are also nearby, as well as several other department stores. Eateries range from traditional fare to fast food. Convenience stores and pharmacies are also easily accessible.

The staff at Tachikawa Grand Hotel were always friendly and accommodating. Transactions and other inquiries can be made in English. (The staff members with whom I spoke were proficient in English - it made up for my rudimentary Japanese.)

The building itself is clean, and the lobby has a subdued elegance. (This venue is especially popular for wedding receptions.) My room, while small, was sufficient for my tastes. It wasn't terribly lavish, but then again - I didn't need much, as I would be spending plenty of time exploring. As long as I had a comfortable bed, running water, and clean facilities, I was content. (And yes, the toilet is one of those electronic "super toilets" - don't worry, it's easy to operate.)

Amenities: A set of slippers and pajamas were provided for use. The mini-fridge in the room was loaded with drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and at fairly reasonable prices. (Vending machines are aplenty in the area, as are convenience stores, so I didn't really partake, although there was a decent selection.) The television could only be used if you paid for a TV card by the elevators. (I didn't bother, but that appeared to be the standard everywhere else I went.) Coin operated laundry is on site, although there is only one washer and one dryer. (I never had an issue with long queues to use the laundry service myself, however.)

My only complaint: Internet access is available via free wifi (the concierge gives you the setup information when you check in); however, it wasn't reliable. (It did improve before my stay ended, but even that's not saying much.)

I'm glad I made the decision to stay in Tachikawa. It reminded me a lot of my hometown. The residents were all kind and welcoming, and it made it tough for me to leave. I thank the Tachikawa Grand Hotel for serving as my residence in Tachikawa. Should I return for another visit (and I hope I do), I would gladly stay at this hotel again. And to anyone who is interested in checking out Tokyo but not seeking to pay a fortune (or likes riding the train), I highly recommend staying in Tachikawa.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank IkkiTousen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first