“It's a Pity”

Ranked #1 of 8 Dunmore East B&B and Inns
Kildare
“It's a Pity”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We booked a family room for 2 nights as we have 2 boys, one is nearly 13 and I wanted the family room with the separate room for the boys. When we arrived we were given the key for room 18. We went to the room and found that there was someone already checked into the room. Went back to reception and discovered that they had checked someone else into the room we had booked. We were then offered room 20, this was not suitable for 4 people at all. It didn't have a separate room for the boys as I had requested. We tried to find another hotel in the area but as it was a bank holiday weekend, they were fully booked. We didn't really have much choice but to take the room.

We went back downstairs to the bar and the girl who had checked us in offered to give us 2 rooms the following night, I tried to explain that I wouldn’t leave 2 children in a room on their own. She was very pleasant and helpful and I know it wasn’t her fault but I was really disappointed and it really did spoil our break.

We ordered our dinner and some drinks, I have to say the food was excellent. They gave us the meal and drinks for free to make up for the mix up.

Later on we were told that they could move us to a 3 bed house beside the hotel the next day. This was fine, we excepted the offer and moved into the house the next afternoon. The house is fabulous, plenty of room.

At checkout, the lady didn’t know how much we owed and asked me ??? I wasn’t sure and mentioned an amount and she took that. Since arriving home I have discovered that we have been overcharged. I am waiting on a reply to an email I have sent to them.

Overall the hotel is in a lovely spot right beside the beach. They do have problems, it all seems a bit disjointed, nobody on reception, you have to go looking for someone to check in and check out. Service in the bar could be better, I think they just need more staff at busy times.

I’d love to go back to stay again but I would be worried about this happening again as the accommodation side of things doesn’t seem to be run very well. The mix up in the rooms was blamed on not being able to read someone’s handwriting.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TTKildare
clifdenfoyle, Owner at The Strand Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
I'm very sorry about the mix up with your room,
And i'm very glad you were happy with the house we offered you.
The mix up with the price was down to not knowing you had paid a booking deposit which has since been credited back to your account by the booking agent in question, this was out of our hands as we don't recieve your credit card details automatically, we have to request them.
Again i'm sorry for the mix up.
Clifden Foyle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stayed in the Strand for 2 nights in April and can't wait to visit again. We were greeted warmly by staff on arrival. The room was very clean and comfortable with beautiful views.

We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and the fish was fantastic.

The family who own the Strand are wonderful hosts, making us feel welcome throughout our stay. Dunmore is a lovely spot with lovely walks and plenty to do nd see.

I would highly recommend a visit to the Strand if you are in the South East.

• Stayed April 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We were passing through Dunmore East and stopped here for lunch curious to see it as we'd watched the 'At Your Service' progrmme. The bar was quite busy but we found a recently vacated table that we assumed would be cleared before we ate. It wasn't. We ended up moving the dirty glasses ourselves and trying to dab at the worst of the sticky stains on the table with a wipe. Three separate members of staff saw the white table covered with dirt and food (one gave us a menu, one brought drinks and one carried the food over) and none of them wiped a cloth over it before plonking our food down on top of it. The food had taken 50 minutes to arrive. We were lucky that there were only 3 of us as the 4th seat at the table had had a drink spilt on it.

I made the mistake of visiting the toilets before eating and wished I hadn't. I haven't seen such filth in a long time, a rusty stained radiator, dirty blinds and a floor with embeded dirt. We actually thought about just paying for the drinks and leaving before we had to face food prepared by these people.

The food was actually okay for the most part which was a surprise and a relief. Only the dressing on the Caesar salad was poor, a greasy separated effort that left me feeling unwell for the rest of the day.

It's a shame that the owners don't care enough to even get the basic cleanliness right. The bar staff were brisk and unpleasant in their manner too. I think the Brennan's should have saved their advice for elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Stripes1
clifdenfoyle, Owner at The Strand Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
I'm Very sorry you had such a bad experience,
But I'm very glad you wrote the review, As regards the toilets i have since repainted the radiator
and have changed the blinds in the ladies toilets, As regards dirt on the floor, our proximity to the beach and the fact that everybody who uses the beach also uses our toilets means a huge amount of sand is dragged through our hotel on sunny days. it does i admit look like dirt but to honest it's only sand, we will be more vigilant from now on i assure you. As regards the table, some one should of wiped it down, and i'm sorry they didn't. but perhaps you should of pointed it out and someone would have taken care of it. As regards the dressing on our caesar salad, we serve a huge amount of these everyday and really it's down to personal taste but i'm very sorry you didn't enjoy it. Thank again for your review it was very helpful
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was my first visit to the strand and it wont be my last it has the most amazing team i have come by in years,Clifden his mom and sister
just blew me away and there fantastic team who treated us and every one that came by like royalty.Food is brill and wine list is fab too and all so reasonably priced.
i would have paid double. such great views and staff food and wine so what are you waiting go and see for yourselves you wont be disappointed
Clive Dublin

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank clive2011_11
dublin ireland
Reviewed 7 May 2012

although we tried to stay here but it was full we spent quite a bit of time in the bar and restaurant over the bank holiday week end.Let me just congratulate clifden and his family and the wonderful staff which made us feel so welcome.The friendlines shown was genuine,the food (and wine) was fantastic and well priced.Look forward to going back and next time will be staying(sorry guys!)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank mixerclive
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Only ate here but it is not listed under restaurants - ate lunch in the bar and found the food very ordinary and hugely overpriced - we ordered a toasted sandwich which came out barely toasted, chips which were like Mc Donald's but had a taste of the cooking fat and chowder which was "fine" but at €8.50 should have been much better.

Overall - this place is riding on the publicity of "at you service" and should be getting these things right

• Stayed May 2012
Dublin
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I tried to book a triple room which was advertised on the Strand website at a price of €110. When I spoke to the lady to book the room she increased the price by €40 up to €150. When I queried this price and quoted the price on the website I was told that she was telling me the price and I could take it or leave it!!!!
I was appalled at the way I was spoken to and the fact that she did not even try to come up with an excuse for the €40 increase!!! I decided not to book the room on a matter of principle. If that is the way they speak to a potential customer I definitely do not want to give them my business.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
10.5 km away
Woodlands Hotel
Woodlands Hotel
#11 of 12 in Waterford

Been to The Strand Inn? Share your experiences!