“Special place in Alicante” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hospes Amerigo

Hospes Amerigo
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Alicante
belfast
“Special place in Alicante”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

After having spent a long day in the bar in Hospes Amerigo for my husband's 30th birthday, booked my Dad a room here for his 60th birthday. They had a great time - great location, reception looked after them well, and from what they tell me, their room was lovely - comfortable, yet modern.For €84, not bad value.

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sandbach, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Booked a weekend break from the UK to Alicante escaping the dark, wet days in the UK for at least three days.

Selected Alicante based on wanting mainland europe but best chance of warmer sunnier drier weather for a February. Also selected Alicante for the ambience / culture of the city. Did not want a city full of touristy places to visit where you run around not appreciating the real city and local population.

Selected Monarch Airlines for the trip Manchester - Alicante based on previous experience, customer service.. this proved beneficial when arriving late at the terminal, Monarch assisted in getting us through security to the gate in time.. Something I cannot think some of our low cost airlines would assist with.

Selected Hospes Hotel Amerigo based on a balance of previous reviews in Tripadvisor. Booking was Bed / Breakfast via Octopus.

I couldn't have selected better for Alicante. Lovely hotel in great location for central Alicante, the port/marina and northern greater alicante via tram.

Real friendly welcome from the reception desk. They were helpful everytime I visited the desk and couldnt do any better.

Room great although initially cold (well it was February)

There was some noise around 2am until 5am but remember you are in the centre of the city... a spanish city :-) and this must be accepted .... I did spend much of the time trying to work out the songs being played rather than focussing on sleep.....

I would go back to Alicante, to the hotel, and fly with Monarch again next weekend if I could.

Room Tip: Ask reception to suggest best room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew_Cheshire_UK
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Great hotel. We stayed in the Apartments next door - seperate entrance, self contained with balcony. It was clean and centrally located and a great experience!

We had access to the rest of the hotel (pool, bars, restuarants etc.) but felt more independent in the larger apartments.

Highly recommended, good value.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank erl71
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Hospes Amerigo Hotel is located on a small side street in central Alicante. Its location is perfect for walking to the old quarter and for shopping or the beach. First impressions were average because its facade does not have the imposing prescence usually associated with european five star hotels. However, you enter the hotel through a lane used as a private terrace for the bar and at night this is a beautiful spot for a glass of wine or a quick bite to eat. Service at reception was excellent with cool drinks provided as we checked in and very friendly staff. I was most impressed because we were accompanied by friends who live locally when we arrived and they were welcomed just as warmly and offered refreshments even though they were not guests.

The room was very nice with a modern design and good facilities. The bathroom was seperate from the bedroom but the sinks and mirrors were in the dressing area. We were travelling with a toddler and having the sinks seperate from the bathroom was definitely useful for us. The minibar was not a pressure/touch sensitive type, so we could use it for baby milk etc, another plus for us. Unfortunately, the room was otherwise not very suitable for a toddler as the TV was low down and the modern design meant a lot of sharp corners and hard surfaces. Despitwe this we were very happy staying here.

There was one issue during our stay, the shower head was leaking quite badly leaving very low pressure in the water. Most of the water ran down the wall. We reported the problem to reception who promised to deal with it immediately, but we were only staying one night and were not around to see the repair.

Lovely hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Aidan M
Ironbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

This hotel had everything you would want for a great getaway. It is FIVE STAR (European) and perfectly located for everything you might do in Alicante. The staff were just fantastic. It is clean and stylish. Sure, the bathrooms are of an unusual design but if you close the sliding door between the 'open bathroom' and the bedroom then it is perfectly private within your spacious room. The rooms are modern and if you get an interior-facing room it is so very quiet you could sleep all day and night! The beds and pillows were simply perfect. It is not a family hotel and for that reason it gets a sixth star! Alicante is beautiful and clean. Would recommend it for a 4-7 day stay.

Room Tip: Inward facing rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pelham_11
Guernsey, Channel Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I will start this review by saying I've only been here for 2 hours, but as I'm leaving first thing in the morning there won't be much to add! I'm in room 209 - a suite on the 2nd floor. The room has two small balconies that overlook a side street. It's very quiet. Bizarrely, the door of the room opens into the bath room! Then it's through to a small lounge area (no tv in there) with a coffee table and a couple of sofas. Then through into the bedroom, which does have a small flat screen tv. There is free, unprotected wifi in the room. There are more toiletries in the bathroom than you'd find in Boots! It's very large, with twin sinks, a big bath, separate shower, toilet and bidet. Plenty of wardrobe space in the entrance hall/bathroom. All in all this room is a very pleasant place to be. I was checked in very quickly. The room key is attached to a large sculpted lump of metal. There are two room service options, and one of these is to utilise the Monastrell restaurant menu. Note that you'll need to pay for this separately is its a separate business to the hotel. Food was ok. Taxi journey was about 15 mins from Alicante airport and cost me 20 Euros after 9pm. Don't think I'll have time for breakfast so no idea what that'll be like. If the price was right and. Needed to come back to Alicante I'd stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank evapor8
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

At €80 per night I did not expect much.
My wife and I stayed here for only 1 night and when we arrived the first thing we noticed was how close the Tapas was which litterally faces the hotel reception . It has its very own cute little enclosed street with somewhere to sit and enjoy a cheeky sangria or 2.
We were greeted by very friendly receptionist and check in was very smooth. As we made our way to our room the decor of the hotel really stood out. It appeared very modern and clean.
The room was a real eye opener. With a huge open plan bathroom which included two sinks facing each other, a huge shower and toilet all of which were divided by glass screens. It made the room feel like an appartment. There is one little moan on this matter and I think if we stayed at the hotel for a worthy duration it would have bothered me. The glass panels meant that going for a 'number 2' was not very private or dignified as the thin glass did not exactly serve a purpose if the shower was being used next to it.
That brings me onto the shower. I could not wait to use it as the shower head was massive. Much to my disappointment when I used it and the water was cold!
We used the pool that night and I have to say this was the biggest disappointment during our stay as the pool looked old and in need of a revamp. The water was cold and not a great size pool considering the size of the hotel.
We were up really early the morning of check out so we decided to have breakfast in the hotel even though it was not included. At €18 per person I was hoping for a cooked breakfast. There was however a huge selection of cereal,fruit juice,pastries and cakes all individually layed out. it is all so well layed out that you darent make mess.
All in all a memorable stay. We are returning to Alecante in March but sadly the rates are alot higher so we probably could not afford to stay at Hospes again. Highly reccomended to all though.

• Stayed January 2012