All reviews tokyo university quiet neighborhood very nice hotel subway station google maps convenient location japanese breakfast conference academic desk
Reviewed January 10, 2015

Forest Hongo is part of the Sunroute chain, but gives the impression of being a one-of-a-kind boutique hotel. I walked from JR Ueno Station to the Forest Hongo in about 20-25 minutes, via Kasuga and Hongo Avenues. After three nights at the Forest and two days at Tokyo University, I walked back to Ueno Station through the university campus and Ueno Park. Either route is pleasant on a nice day.

Writing this from a Toyoko Inn (my usual discount hotel), I can say that the Forest Hongo's climate control is much quieter: audible, yes, but not to the point where you have to turn up the radio or TV volume. Another thing I liked about my Forest Hongo room is that lights could be turned on and off from a panel on the bed's headboard. The panel also has push-button selection of a few radio stations, including NHK 1, 2 and FM.

Route Inn (not to be confused with Sunroute) seems to have a wider selection of buffet breakfast items than the Forest Hongo, but as a middle-aged university professor, I am satisfied with having just a few good items. Natto (fermented soybeans) is part of my usual breakfast at home, so I am glad to find it at places like Forest Hongo (and Route Inns).

Speaking of being an academician, on check-in the clerk made a point of asking if I belonged to a 共済 (kyosai). Yes, my Japanese health insurance card identifies me as a member of 公立学校共済組合 (Japan Mutual Aid Association of Public School Teachers). Showing this to the clerk earned me a modest discount off the published room rate. I was able get my room about a half hour earlier than the official 15:00 check-in time, but this kind of favor should never be demanded. Just be glad to accept it if the cleaning staff have finished their prep work ahead of schedule. Otherwise, the front desk will gladly secure your bags and you can enjoy a pleasant walk around the neighborhood until check-in time. You may also pass some time reading newspapers available in the lobby, including one published in English

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
hfhg, フロント at Forest Hongo, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2015

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comment.
I am sorry for the delay in replying to you.
We are glad to heard you enjoyed your staying.
We are waiting for your next visit !

Reviewed November 18, 2014

I spent 5 nights at the quaint Forest Hongo in October, and it was a successful stay. The location is perfect, just across the street from Todai and a few minutes walk to Bunkyo Gakuin University. The rooms are clean and comfortable. I looked forward to the breakfast every morning--good fish, rice, miso, eggs, toast, coffee and tea. After busy days filled with meetings, the hotel was a calm oasis to come back to. Nothing fancy, but friendly people and good service.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe R
hfhg, 支配人 at Forest Hongo, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you for staying with us.
Like you said,our hotel is located at convenient place who go to University of Tokyo,
so many guests who need to go there is stay here.
Actually, there are nothing for fun around here,but it's convenient for access to many famous spot in Tokyo!! however little fer from the station.

We are waiting for your stay again.

Reviewed November 4, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for three nights. The hotel is situated on a tiny square, two minutes from the main gate of the Tokyo University, ten minutes from the metro.
Rooms are good, quiet, and bathrooms really great. The
breakfast is wonderful and provides excellent Japanese and European options.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
hfhg, 支配人 at Forest Hongo, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your comment.
We are glad to heard you enjoyed your staying.
We are waiting for your next visit.

Reviewed November 3, 2014

I stayed at Forest Hongo in May 2014, for a conference I was attending at the University of Tokyo. So convenient--the hotel is literally just 100 m from the university gate, and only a few minutes' walk to the conference facility. The hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. I found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable, although the rooms were a little dated. The restrooms, while not luxurious, were significantly larger than some other hotels I've visited in Tokyo. I strongly recommend the breakfast buffet: better variety, and fresher food, than at other Tokyo area hotels, and the breakfast room was very well-lit with nice table clothes and large windows offering a view of the flowers. There are numerous places for dinner along the main street, easy walking distance from the hotel. The big street is very busy, but Forest Hongo is set back far enough that I never heard the traffic while trying to sleep--the hotel was very, very quiet. I will stay here again when I visit the university, and I will recommend it to all my colleagues.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
hfhg, 支配人 at Forest Hongo, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2014

Thank you for staying with us, and commented.
We are glad to heard you were satisfied with your staying at our hotel.
We hope you will stay again,if you have a chance to come around here.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Room size: large for Japanese standards. Location: very convenient if you are going to visit the Tokyo University (walking distance). Personnel: excellent English -- no communication issues. The breakfast is so-so...You have western and traditional Japanese options... Japanese breakfast could be a bit better.

One minor problem: not easy to find if you arrive by subway. By taxi: no problems of course. Print a map or check carefully an online map before getting there. Do not count on asking people.

Tip: Ask for an umbrella at the counter in case of rain!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business