All reviews four seasons beautiful garden luxury hotel japanese garden room service soba restaurant hotel garden il teatro fabulous hotel the nearest train station executive suite beautiful room l occitane impeccable service luxurious rooms kobe beef yu spa
Reviewed June 8, 2016

Great upscale rooms and service in what presents as a high quality five star hotel. But there are several glaring, to my mind, exceptions.

First, the location, while probably fine for business stays, is terrible for tourists and travelers. A taxi or bus to a nearby train station and then often a train line transfer is necessary to get most anywhere touristically interesting. It's just so far from any tourist sight.

Second, the restaurant food is significantly below standard. The three lobby floor restaurants have sparse menus and even though they say they are Italian or whatever...the food is with a Japanese twist. This was not acceptable to this reviewer.

Plus it is extremely expensive. ¥1800, about $17, for a regular glass of beer is ridiculous. Not everyone is on expense account. My ¥3410 ($31) breakfast brought juice, coffee and three breads, ok so far. But the two scrambled eggs were significantly undercooked and watery. The two slices of bacon were incinerated and basically inedible. Reporting of displeasure (and a firm suggestion the executive chef go into the kitchen and check the abilities of the line cooks) was met with a shrug and not even an apology.

A chicken Caesar salad (around $20+) was dry, with poorly cut lettuce, excessive parmesan slices and chicken which was dry and appeared to be sliced off a processed roll, like lunch meat often used for sandwiches. It was certainly not worth the price but moreover, it was completely at odds with the quality image of this hotel. With under two dozen items on the whole menu, they should be able to make a salad right.

The worst sin, however, is they serve shark's fin in at least one of the restaurants. This should lower my rating even further but I'm feeling benevolent at the moment.

With all the fine hotels in Tokyo, one shouldn't have to be confined in isolation with limited food choices.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kairho1
hotelchinzansotokyo0, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2016

Dear Kairho1 Sama,

Thank you for giving your comments about our hotel on this site. I appreciate you took the time to give your opinion. Your comments about the restaurants have been passed on to the Food & Beverage department. Please be assured that they will take them seriously into account. They actually immediately told me that beer sells from JPY1350 or about USD11 in the restaurants. Concerning the location, I would like to say that it really depends what you want. We are surrounded by a vast garden and lots of green in a more residential neighborhood. The nearest subway is indeed not next to the hotel, but less than 10 minutes away and brings you straight to a major shopping center Ikebukuro, the Imperial Palace, Ginza and the fish market. Furthermore there is a bus stop right next to the hotel which connects to a JR Yamanote line station from which you have access to most tourist sightseeing spots. A taxi ride to the Imperial Palace, which is really the center of Tokyo, is about 10 to 15 minutes. Kagurazaka, which is a traditional area with lots of shops, restaurants, temples, etc. is one stop by subway or approximately 10 minutes by taxi. We should have informed you better about all the transportation options and nearby sightseeing spots while you were here and I would like to offer my apologies for this.

Nana Tanaka

Reviewed June 5, 2016

I spent 7 nights at Chinzanso on a half holiday/ half work trip. The booking was organised through my work and I was not hugely keen on this hotel because of its location and how it looked on their website - I am more of a fan of modern hotels, not traditional, lavish looking hotels.

BUT I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel! Firstly, the service was impeccable. The conceirge staff went out of their way to ensure I could get to where I needed to go. On one day in particular, they had ordered a taxi to take me to the office. But it was taking too long so I went to jump into a random taxi as it pulled up. Before I could even shut the taxi door, staff had printed out directions to the office and handed it to the taxi driving informing him of where I needed to go. They gave me a bottle of water because it was a hot day too!

I stayed in a superior king room which was exceptionally spacious for a "standard" room. The bathroom was very spacious and nice too.

I didn't eat often in the hotel restaurants, but for the few nights that I did the food was very good.

The location turned out to be ok as it was not far from the office, but sometimes challenging to get to other destinations if I was going to travel by train (I had not been to Japan before, so the whole train thing was a little confusing). There is a local subway (Edogawabashi) around a 7 minute walk from the hotel which was handy. There are a few shops and things around there, but not much. The nearest shopping & restaurant centre I found on the subway line was Sunshine City/ Ikebukudo, which is only 2 stops away.

The Chinzanso gardens are nice but not particularly big. You can spend maybe 30 minutes in there and see everything. The Mokushundo restaurant (old-style dishes cooked on hot lava rocks) in the garden looked amazing but unfortunately I was not able to dine there.

I am torn between giving this hotel a 4 to 5 star review. It's really only the location that brings it down a little bit for me. But if the location suits you, then it really is a fabulous choice.

Room Tip: request a view over the garden
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Logocracy
hotelchinzansotokyo0, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2016

Dear The_Logocracy Sama,

Needless to say that we were very very glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and were pleasantly surprised by it. It is really important that not only guests who enjoy a more classical hotel experience can have a good stay with us. We want to surprise also the persons who basically prefer a modern hotel with our more traditional syle and impeccable service. Our concierge team is really an asset and they do their utmost to make the Japan experience of our guests unforgettable. We hope we can welcome you back soon and that you will have the opportunity to have lunch or dinner in the Mokushundo restaurant in our garden.

Nana Tanaka

Reviewed June 4, 2016

We stayed at this hotel for a week. The service was impeccable, in particular from housekeeping, room service and at the fitness center. There's a beautiful garden, well worth visiting several times. We will keep a great memory of our stay.

Room Tip: Garden view
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
hotelchinzansotokyo0, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2016

Dear Christophe288 Sama,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a kind review on TripAdvisor. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the service and enjoyed the garden several times. Please keep the good memories and we do hope we can welcome you back one day.

Andre Sol

Reviewed May 13, 2016

We recently spent three days at the Chinzanso and can't say enough about the service. From Andre Sol's tour of the extensive gardens to Mr. Kondo's assistance in all matters from transportation and restaurant reservations to assisting our friends we couldn't have had a better experience.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
hotelchinzansotokyo0, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2016

Dear Bonnie A Sama,

Thank you for being so kind to leave your review on this site. We were very happy that you stayed with us and it was our pleasure to help you as much as we could. Mr. Kondo and I were delighted to read that you enjoyed our assistance. Comments like yours do motivate us to keep on doing our utmost. I personally wish I would have had more time to assist you, but hopefully you will have a chance to visit us again. All the staff will be there to welcome you.

Wishing you the very best!
Andre

Reviewed May 4, 2016

This hotel has unrivaled grounds inside Tokyo. The size of the garden is unrivaled with a huge Pogoda fish pond and garden. This was one of the main draws of why we booked this hotel, its around 10 minutes walk from the nearest metro station so ideally situated to get you in and around Tokyo but leaving the hustle and bustle of the city behind (Trust me you will want the quite!)
The decor and style of this hotel is very classic the fixtures and fittings in the room could do with an update, the curtains and beds look old as well as the bathrooms. Having said that it adds character to hotel the amazing amenities more than make up for the older furniture they really have supplied every amenity you could ever want in the room, too many to list!
The staff are impeccable extremely helpful absolutely professional and always find time to help you. For the first time in years we experienced a real concierge service who provided insightful useful information as well as booking various experiences we requested.
If you want an authentic hotel with a classic feel outside of the extremely busy city center then this should be your choice.

Room Tip: Spa Access room so that you can use the hot spring for free!
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emad M
hotelchinzansotokyo0, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Chinzanso Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2016

Dear Emad M Sama,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Chinzanso and spending time to write your review on TripAdvisor. Feedback is really important for us to get a good idea about what guests appreciate or are not fully satisfied with it. Moreover, reviews like yours do motivate the team to work with pleasure. I passed your comments on to the relevant sections. The concierge team was delighted to read how satisfied you were! The concierges are always thinking about how to satisfy our guests more and are doing a great job.
I would also like to inform you that we are renovating the rooms in the hotel. We have already finished 4 floors and the next floor is scheduled to undergo renovation soon. In order to not inconvenience staying guests, we have to do the renovation step-by-step. Hopefully we can welcome you back in one of the renovated rooms in the future.
Everybody, but especially the concierge team will be happy to assist you again.

Andre Sol