“Nice Guy, Fun Place”

Cuisines: Japanese, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ginza, Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed July 18, 2017

We were told of this place by an American ex-pat and so it was no wonder that the upstairs was filled primarily with ex-pats when we visited though the table next to us was 4 Brits. We loved Andy and Andy's because he understands what people with celiac disease can eat and he helped us navigate his menu. We loved the fresh crab legs and the fried chicken that's coated in rice flour and fried in it's own oil to avoid cross contamination.We also had a great, fresh green salad which you often don't find while traveling. A fun time in a fun atmosphere run by a nice gentleman.

Reviewed July 17, 2017 via mobile

I've been to Andy's the last 2 trips to Tokyo and will keep it as a must visit going forward. It's just fantastic every time. You must make a reservation I think.

Family style seating and good atmosphere for drinking and talking. I love that you can get a little loud and have fun with other patrons around you. I introduced this to some of my Japanese friends and they were quite impressed with the experience, food quality, and my knowing about it when they didn't.

The menu is limited but diverse and everything is just great. King crab legs are huge and scrumptious, the seared scallops and fried eel are especially nice. Great place to go with a small group and explore a lot of different foods with some beers. Neat atmosphere under the tracks just southwest of Tokyo station.

Reviewed July 14, 2017

Under the JR arches right by the station. Lively atmosphere of Japanese and gaijin office workers letting off steam after work. Very good sushi/ shasimi and other seafood. Good value too. Service friendly and helpful.

Reviewed June 24, 2017

Great place for seafood, spicy deep fried chicken, beer and a fun dinner place altogether. I'll be back :)

Reviewed May 30, 2017

This place came highly recommended and sounded a bit unusual: an ex-pat Brit running a seafood restaurant under the railway arches in Tokyo's 'Yakitori Alley.' Worth a try?
You are first struck by the location: a slightly edgy setting, a not very smart street, trains rumbling overhead and neon signs screaming at you. On entering you'll probably get a great welcome, including from Andy himself, and you find an arched roofed dining room with a very lively bunch of diners having a fun night out.
I ordered mixed tempura, most of which was OK but one piece was inedible, tasting like a face flannel fried in batter. We also ordered scallops, which were OK but not exceptionally so, but my biggest mistake was to choose a raw oyster, which I didn't realise, but should have guessed from the price per piece, would be the size of a soup plate.
Can't fault it for atmosphere and it wasn't too expensive but not great food.

Been to Andy's Shin Hinomoto? Share your experiences!