Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi
    Great 4.5/5
    Average 3/5
      Good 3.5/5
      1,094 results
      All reviewstrain stationtwo queen bedsnarita expresssmall hotelmeet and greetimperial palaceboutique hotellevel of serviceginza districtconcierge stafffloor to ceiling windowsfish marketrooms are largepark hyattoffice buildingsuperb locationrestaurant reservations
      FilterAll languages
      Reviewed 11 January 2012

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, in terms of superb location, top quality service, friendly warm and hospitable staff and overall "feel good" experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
      FSHMarunouchi, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear Lionel T,

Thank you for taking the time to write your very positive comments on our "little" hotel.
      We hope to see you back in the not to distant future. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year!

Best Regards

Daniel Simon

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We just overnighted here a few days ago, after staying here about a year and a half ago. Like this hotel a lot. Feels much more intimate than most Tokyo hotels. Service is above and beyond. We were personally escorted through the labyrinth of the Tokyo Station to find our way to the Narita express train. They also did not blink when we requested a later than usual check out time. Staff EXTREMELY helpful! Rooms are very large and well appointed. Bed very comfie by Japanese standards. All in all, all you can hope for in a big city hotel.

Room Tip: doubt that there's a bad room here.
      • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
      1  Thank moderngirl

Dear Modern Girl,

Thank you for taking your time to write the review on Trip Advisor. I have taken the liberty to share your very positive comments with all of our staff and gave the Guest Service staff a special mention. I see from your reviews that you are not a stranger to Japan and I hoep we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon in the not to distant future and to our new hotel in Kyoto in 2014.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I feel that that most of the previous reviews fairly represent the hotel and my own experiences earlier this month, though of course tastes differ – particularly with food and service. I was in Asia on a mileage run to maintain that all-important 1K level on United for 2012.

Overview:
      This hotel is the smallest Four Seasons (FS) property that I have ever visited and probably the smallest in the chain. The one FS that I have the most experience is with the Istanbul-Sultanahmet property and this hotel has only 65 rooms. Ergo, the Marunouchi property is not a typical FS. The hotel is indeed a boutique property - meaning it has only 50+ rooms, one restaurant and the staff consistently addressed me by name. It is located in an office building - with its own entrance but not well marked - and next to Tokyo Station (which, of course, is great for the Narita Express). The spa and gym facility is small but so is the hotel, and I rarely encountered another guest in the spa or the gym. I loved the onsen and used it three separate times to sort out a bad back. Incidentally, during my three uses of the onsen, it was my private bath since I never saw another person.

Room:
      I did receive an upgrade to a junior suite (room 506) which overlooked the train station, but the train noise was inaudible and I enjoyed watching the trains arrive and depart. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower, and toilet was in true Japanese tradition - you needed a PhD to figure out all the buttons. The bathroom amenities were "standard" FS - l'Occitane. One reviewer complained about the difficulty using some of the room's gadgets but I had no such problem with the two TVs and the window curtain, though I remained puzzled about the toilet (don’t worry – there is a handle). There was also an upscale coffee machine in the room

Dining:
      I did not have room service or breakfast in the hotel. Dinner was very good and cheaper than the $200 meal the next night - but just as good. I did take the free morning coffee and pastry on the ground floor, which I think is served until 8:00am. The lounge is divided into two parts - smoking and non-smoking - and both overlook the train station. The restaurant is non-smoking. I despise smoking but this is par for the course in Japan, and seemed less of a problem at this FS. I met the new F&B manager, who is a Japanese-speaking Aussie.

Highlights:
      My experience with the onsen was already noted. I took the FS bicycle around Tokyo with no problem, with the exception that the helmet was too small – even for my bald head. I enjoyed the Japanese reaction seeing a "gringo" riding around the streets of Tokyo. By far the best experience was having the hotel’s general manager – Daniel Simon – provide me with a personal tour of the Tokyo fish market … at 5:00am. I had a couple of chats previously with Mr. Simon when he was the hotel manager in Sydney but this act was far beyond any service that I have ever experienced at any FS hotel – and I considered it exceptional, even by FS’s legendary standards. While you should not expect a personal tour of the fish market from the GM at 5:00am, it indicates the type of service that you should expect.

Lessons Learned in Tokyo:
      - Carry cash. Many places do not accept credit cards and bank ATMs – even those of major international Japanese banks – did not seem to accept US ATM cards. The post office ATMs did accept my two US ATM cards.
      - Take advantage of the complimentary FS “greeting” service offered upon arrival at Tokyo Station. I did not. I was confused leaving the train station, which was made worse since it was at rush hour. Also don’t be cheap … take the Narita Express for a few extra bucks instead of the local train.
      - Anywhere I went I had the hotel write in Japanese my destination and/or exactly what I wanted – such as kabuki tickets. I found English proficiency limited, even amongst the young. This is not Hong Kong. Language was never a problem at the hotel, but particularly when the Japanese-American woman from Chicago was working at the lobby entrance.
      - After a day I figured out the convoluted Tokyo subway/underground system but never could figure what priced ticket I needed. I just paid the minimum fare and then paid the difference upon exiting the station – no penalty.
      - Tokyo is an expensive city.

Room Tip: Probably the higher rooms would have less noise from the trains, though the noise was not discernible to me.
      • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
      4  Thank SanMoTraveler

Dear SanMo traveller,

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write the review as well as the letter that I recieved yesterday. The feedback and tips are well noted. We have ordered a larger bicycle helmet for your next visit. I do love the Tsukiji fish market, could go every day if time allows. I hope to see you back in Tokyo soon again.

Reviewed 21 December 2011

One of the world's most welcoming, gracious and comforting hotel experiences in a spectacular, flawless facility.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear Martin C,

Thank you for the very nice comments. I hope to see you back in Tokyo soon again.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

After staying at two service apartments from our previous visits to Tokyo, we decided to "upgrade" and shoot for the stars. Four Seasons Tokyo on Marunouchi was our choice - close to Tokyo station as we had to come in from Narita, and central to many subway lines, plus who could refuse Four Seasons hospitality.

We called ahead while on the NEX (Narita Express) to Tokyo, and we were met by the concierge right at outside our carriage. Jonathon navigated us through the maze of Tokyo station and on our way to the hotel, we met with the new BMW i8 concept car direct from the Tokyo motorshow!

Our room was on the 6th floor, and straight away our son was spoilt. They gave him a choice of toy or cup, and in the room, the was a cookie plate with m&m's and marshmallows. Our room was sizable by Japanese standards and the most comfortable. Big comfy king sized bed, and a huge tv that we could connect our Apple devices to. A big plus for the young boy!

The son woo and wowed at the size of the toilet (large). Toiletries were from l'occitane and the toilet was glass separated by glass partitions in order of toilet, bath tub installed width wise, and the shower. Very nice!

All staff spoke English really well, and usually with an American accent. They were also very helpfully, and would make sure we were given information we asked for.

The gym is a good complement to the facilities and there is a mapped run to the nearby Imperial Palace and back. I was going for a morning run, but alas, it was raining.

The nearby Tokyo station offered lots to eat- ramen, curries and sushi. There is even a Daimaru department store nearby.

We certainly enjoyed our stay here and would love to come back again. We were comfortable and well-loved by all the warm and friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
      2  Thank Jamie575

Dear Jamie575,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I have taken the liberty to post your review for the staff to read. I am glad that everyone in the family enjoyed their staff and we hope to have you all back with us soon again.