“Great atmosphere and tempura”

Gonpachi Nishiazabu
Ranked #70 of 12,933 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Akasaka, Roppongi
Description: World famous Gonpachi outlets offers its signature fusion cuisine, which is an intriguing combination of authentic Japanese cooking. Gonpachi is not only famous for "Kill Bill restaurant" since Quentiin trantino was inspired by traditional Japanese decor, but also The former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi took The former President George W. Bush there while Bush was visiting Japan in 2002.
Reviewed March 5, 2018 via mobile

Great Cuban manager. Food was delicious. Good value. Nice music. Nice atmosphere. Better than all the famous pure sushi sashimi restaurants.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,528)

Reviewed February 23, 2018

Dined as a group as part of a business gathering. Fixed menu - an abundance of quality dishes, served one after the other at appropriate intervals. English was not an issue as staff were conversant and obliged for the vegetarians and other dietary requirements with ease.
There was so much food that we had to cancel the final two dishes from the menu - including the dessert.
The prawn tempura needed to be crunchier - it was a little "sloppy"

Reviewed February 23, 2018

Noisy but great atmosphere. Pretty decent food in informal setting. Conveniently located in Roppongi.

Reviewed February 23, 2018 via mobile

I visited Gonpachi tonight for the third time in 20 years. I loved it the first time I went - food, service and atmosphere were all amazing. My second visit was disappointing. The food was still good but the friend I was with was just about the only Japanese guest there though this large restaurant was almost full. It had become a major tourist attraction and the real Japanese ambiance had suffered as a result. Tonight there was a mix of guests, the food was average to very good and the service was friendly and attentive.

I remembered the croquette from my first visit and it was still excellent. The shrimp tempura was nice though a little small. The Gonpachi pizza was also small and thin and tasted like gyoza. I liked it. We had three kinds of yakitori - all good. I particularly liked the stuffed shiitake mushrooms. The Caesar salad was nice but I didn’t think the deep fried tofu croutons worked. For a drink I first tried the “Gari Shiso Sour”. It wasn’t particularly good. It probably would have worked better with more Shiso and less pickled ginger. I switched to sake. All in all a nice meal that came to about 8000 yen for two people.

Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

If you don’t mind mixing with other tourists/foreigners for the evening this is a fun place to eat and drink. Service was great with waiters shouting out welcomes to new customers. We ate with some Japanese friends who did all the ordering so that made life easy. Enjoyed nibbling on edamame beans, fish, chicken, steak, etc. Luckily my friend paid. Kill Bill memorabilia on the way out. All in all a lively, fun place.