“"Lost in translation" moment, but very worth it for the tasty ramen”

Ramen Nagi Niboshio Shibuya
Ranked #164 of 9,172 Restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Albanian
Neighbourhood: Shibuya, Harajuku, Ebisu
Neighbourhood: Shibuya, Harajuku, Ebisu
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I decided to try this restaurant on my search for Tokyo's best bowl of ramen. After arriving at the restaurant (which took a bit of searching, since it isn't written Ramen Nagi in English), I had a moment of panic when I noticed that you needed to place your order from a machine (with everything written in Japanese). After staring at the machine in confusion for quite some time, a customer leaving the restaurant was kind enough to explain how the machine worked (we found out after that there was a picture with English translations tucked away beside the machine afterwards). I'm glad we stuck around, because the ramen was delicious! I hadn't had a broth like this before. It was salty, umami, and sardine-based. The noodles, egg and pork were cooked to perfection. You had a choice to order either a richer, thicker version of the broth (Niboshi special) or a more watery version (classic), and the pork comes in either thicker chunks or very thin slices. Since it was my first time trying the broth, I'm happy that I went for the lighter version of it since first-timers might find the heavier version too fishy. In addition, we preferred the "chunks" of pork to the thin slices (which came with the classic version). Overall, very much worth the lost in translation moment with the vending machine!

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed December 17, 2017

As can be seen in the reviews here, the opinions on niboshio ramen are very varied. This type of ramen is not as common and granted this is not everyone’s bowl of ramen. For me, this was so good, that I returned for second bowl. The smell, broth and noodles were just yummy! Configurable to one’s liking. One of my favourite ramen!

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed November 11, 2016

If you are tired of the regular tonkotsu broth, try this sardines-based ramen. Our orders came with 2 types of noodles, one small and one very broad. I recommend asking for a firmer than average noodles here (they will give you an english page explaining this) since the broad noodle is thinner and can get a little too soft in the broth.
Love the water machine that dispenses perfect water with ice and the sardines-soaked vinegar on the side here.
Tip: to find this restaurant after you get out of Shibuya station, look at the map/directory inside the station and find the exit for 3-chome. You can always pop into a 7-eleven and ask for direction then. I find that they always carry a block by block map there and can provide excellent pointers when you're lost.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed October 24, 2016 via mobile

Best noodle in Shibuya. Love the texture of the noodle and the richness of the broth. We had visited there twice during our stay because my husband loves it and couldn't get enough of it.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

I went here not knowing what I was getting myself into, I was told the ramen was good so I decided to give it a go. As soon as I stepped inside I smelt a strong fishy smell, I just thought it was really strong seaweed. After I sat down I saw a bottle of oil infused with a sardine, it then hit me that there are sardines/ anchovies in the stock! (I hate both). I thought don't knock it till you try it. I am now officially put off ramen for a while. Yukk!

Date of visit: August 2016

Been to Ramen Nagi Niboshio Shibuya? Share your experiences!