“Best Katsu ever!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shibuya, Harajuku, Ebisu
Reviewed July 4, 2018

You haven't had porkchop until you've had the Tonkatsu at Maisen. It's down a side street in Ura Hara, but there are signs directing you there from Omote Sando, just look for the yellow sign with a line drawn flower logo. The restaurant is surprisingly big, and we had no problems getting at 2pm. The menu is confusing at first, but then we firgured out to look at the laminated guide that told us first about different cuts of pork, then the different pigs served. We ended up trying the Benibutan fillet and the Kurobata loin. The latter was meatier and stood up to the special apple sauce just for it. Every bite was delicious and memorable. There is also a takeout counter next to the main doors if you feel like a sandwich instead, but if you've never been there, the experience is worth it.

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Very good tonkatsu to take away from the outside shop. Reasonable price too - great for a snack and worth hunting out, a little way of the main Street - follow the signs with the logo on front the main Street to the shop /restaurant.

Reviewed June 17, 2018

I didn't visit there over decade. Because I stop eating pigs. But I found they have Ebi fry and others. It's OK to visit solo. Quite. Free rice, cabbage, mugicha and tarutaru refill. By the way, I am not super avoiding pigs, though.

Reviewed June 14, 2018

Heard a lot about Maisen's high quality Tonkatsu meals and it prompted us to pay a visit to this restaurant located in Shibuya, Being earlier was a blessing as there was a short queue inside the restaurant when we arrived. It later grew into a full blown queue that snaked all the way outside the restaurant.

Food and service was good and the Tonkatsu was tasty as expected. However, the special aged pork loin set did not exceed my expectation as it was pretty normal except for the special types of salt that was provided as part of the set.

Overall a good experience, Just a bit steep on pricing.

1  Thank nightfall88
Reviewed June 12, 2018

If you want to try Tonkatsu you have to try Maisen.
When we visited for dinner one evening they were out of the special cut so it made our decision easy, one of us ordered the standard Kurobata loin set and one the fillet. The pork was beautifully juicy and the batter perfectly crisp. All elements of the set were nicely prepared, including the a side order of shrimp, which have to be the biggest juiciest prawns I've ever had, definitely worth finding room in your belly to try one of these. I've preferred sauces from other establishments but still enjoyed Maisen's none the less.
The service was fine but the atmosphere was a little odd in the restaurant though I can't quite put my finger on it.
Like I say if you want to try Tonkatsu whilst in Japan you have to give Maisen a try, you won't be disappointed, it's a good solid bet.

1  Thank Trelen