“Tasty tempura”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Description: We,Tsunahachi, has been a traditional Japanese tempura restaurant since 1923. You can enjoy a cozy atmosphere at a reasonable price, with counter seating providing guests with hot and airy tempura cooked right before your eyes. For traditional and delicious Japanese tempura, a visit to Tsunahachi is a must. 3 minutes from Shinjuku and Shinjuku 3-chome stations.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We went for lunch after visiting Shinjuku Gyoen and it’s just a few minutes walk.

We ordered two lunch sets which came with prawn, fish, eel, vegetable, rice and soup. We also ordered a la carte prawn (600+ yen) and crab (1200 yen) tempura, but when the food was served there were only one piece of prawn and one piece of crab ! We had been wondering why it’s so expensive and when we paid the bill they charged us only 300+ for the crab. So we guessed it’s probably due to wrong order taken by the waiter.

Anyway, the food was delicious though a bit expensive. Worth to try.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had passed this one hundred years old tempura restaurant several times during our week in Tokyo, but there was always a queue of customers. But one evening we were able to walk right in to be seated on the 2nd floor. We got a useful, laminated "tempura user manual" and started to order the best tempura I have ever eaten - though I am not an expert. The service was efficient and friendly. What a wonderful meal!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Positives:

- The food! Excellent tempura set
- Clean
- Service
- Quick turnaround. We only had to wait 10 mins for a seat and this was during dinner time

Negatives:

- The crowd.

Tip* try to get a seat by the bar so you can watch your tempura being cooked.

Will definitely go back again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If You do Not speak Japanese they may point You to sit at the Bar on the 2nd Floor yet that means You get Personalized Service and Front Row Seats to see the Chefs Hand Dipping your Tempura or sit while You wait for the Freshest (Almost Sweet) lean Tuna Sashimi I have ever had: Sort Walk from Train Station in from Tokyo and worth every step. Enjoy - Peter.

1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 16 March 2018

We've been here before and the food is always great. For some extra fun make sure to ask for a bar seat rather then table that way you can watch the chefs prepping your food for you!

We went here for Lunch and will review that first. We had the 3rd lunch meal down that ran 3,400 yen. Was great it had on it (And can't remember it all so will be approximate. All Tempura.

Eel
Squid
Shrimp
Fish
Onion
Mix tempura that also had smaller shrimp in it
and I think 2 or 3 other items

All was cooked great by the chef in front of us. Bare in mind also with regard to the bar as we had this while one chef was doing up there was another chef there doing other things and in this case was gutting and cutting up fish so just bare this in mind that you might also have this in case it isn't something you want to see while eating in which case a table might be better for you!!

That all said it was great with one exception. We got there just before opening (11 AM) and waited the few minutes for them to open and when they did this older woman came out to open up and bring the customers in to another waiting area, We were 3rd in line so we waited while she sat the larger group that was first then there was a single lady directly ahead of us and she also was sitting at the bar so sine we knew we wanted bar we sort of went that way alittle as we knew where she would take us based on the waiting area. When we did this she saw us and sort of snapped at us to go wait over there and pointed with her hand.

She then came back and sat us. As I was sitting there the chefs were working so I got out my phone to snap a photo and forgot that the other day I had need of the flash and had forgotten to reset it to flash off as I almost never use the phones flash. So I snapped a photo and realized that I had forgotten to turn it off and was already in the process of turning it back off of my own choice and this same hostess comes over and again snaps at me saying NO FLASH I told her it was a mistake and I was turning it off and she said NO FLASH two more times. She didn't even have to tell me once let alone snap at me 3 times to turn it off. I can understand it if I was not turning it off but I explained I had forgotten the flash was on and that I had turned it off so there was no need to even mention it let alone 3 times. Even my wife who usually just lets things slide off her said she felt this lady was just downright rude.

Someone at the restaurant needs to have a discussion with the hostess that was at the front door that was seating customers on March 17 about how to treat customers as her attitude makes me think twice if I would return back to this restaurant and sad as this is not the first time we had been to this one but even my wife was checking the one across the street after seeing how she was so rude to us!

Besides her the food and chefs and other wait staff were great it was just this one elder lady hostess!!!

I have marked this for families as it is a restaurant and not a bar but bare in mind it is pricey base lunch menu as around 2300 yen and goes up to around 8000 yen so just bare that in mind but if you can afford it the kids should like it also!