“PERFECT location”

Toyoko Inn Shinjuku Kabukicho
Ranked #28 of 87 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Reviewed 23 September 2016

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times because the hotel's location is perfect. It's very close to Shinjuku station, but a safe distance from the nightlife. In other words, it is close enough to the station and nightlife but still not very loud.

The rooms are clean and a Japanese style breakfast is included. Personally, I'll take miso soup, a buttered roll and onigiri (Japanese rice balls) over pancakes any day but people who must have eggs and cereal might not like this.

The staff is very polite.

However... I would give this hotel 5 stars but there is only one worker who can speak English well. Normally I wouldn't care but this guy is extremely lazy and rude. Without fail, all 4 times I have stayed here he has been rude. My friend and I were carrying heavy boxes and asked him to please call a taxi. He told us very curtly to just walk and carry the boxes. Another time when I had a question about the phone charger he rudely asked, "Waddya want me to do bout it???!!!" I know his attitude is not typical of most Japanese people. We noticed his attitude towards Japanese guests was very polite.

Room Tip: Make a reservation online and ask for a Toyoko Inn membership. You get a free night after 10 visits.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank MBenzinger

Reviewed 18 September 2016

Toyoko Inn, this is a Japanese budget chain hotel where you get for what you pay. If all you need is to stay in clean place with no thrills this it. Rooms are enough big to sleep two and you shall be open your luggage too. Breakfast is very poor, so don't count on it too much.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank GM Travel J
Reviewed 17 September 2016

Everytime go Japan shopping normal stay there since close to train station and easy for me to go anywhere in Japan. Clean and tidy business hotel with free breakfast provided. Only one thing may be lady not feel comfort since hotel close to red-light district. When you walk along the street some people may ask you go nightclubs watch show even you have many shopping bags on hand.....

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yung C
Reviewed 22 August 2016

I stayed here as part of a tour package so I can't comment on the price. The rooms are small but clean and have everything you need. It's not the kind of hotel room you want to hang out in, but if you are out and about during the day it's a good spot to come home to. Wifi worked for me every time in my room (217) which was across the hall from the elevator but wasn't excessively noisy, altho you could hear conversations in the hallway. Bathroom is small (think cruise ship bathroom) and prob not good for tall people. Shower was great with good water pressure. Towels are old and threadbare. Working fridge in room and AC worked great as well. I felt perfectly safe walking around with my 2 daughters out to dinner with lots of restaurant options. We weren't out past 9pm tho so I can't comment on the late night atmosphere. 7/11 next door carried a variety of food and beverage items so that was super convenient. Japanese breakfast was just fine offering a variety of rice balls, decent meatballs, bok choy, 2 salads, bread rolls and a very nice miso soup. There's also vending machines in lobby you can buy bottled waters (about $1), soft drinks and beers (about $2.50 each). All in all this is a good spot to lay your head down at night, convenient to the subway. There's also a hair dryer in the room and large dispensers of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in shower. Bring a bar of soap tho if you prefer it. They also offer sanitized pajamas in the lobby (kind of odd) but we didn't use them.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank jportlandor
Reviewed 22 July 2016

Had a single night in this budget, no frills accommodation. It was very comfortable, clean and reasonably easy to get to from the station. Breakfast is Japanese. Overall good value and I would consider staying here again if visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

My wife wanted to see her friend in Shinjyuku, and this is the reason why we stayed this Toyoko Inn. But to be honest, I did not like the surrounding of this hotel. Kabukicho is a famous district for night life, but not clean. Next time, I do not think come back to this hotel.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kimitaka S
Reviewed 8 June 2016

One of the tiniest room I've stayed in but it's very clean and well maintained. Located right at the heart of the red light district in Shinjuku and quite a walk to the Shinjuku station but I went there when the air was chilly so a long walk was no problem at all. Breakfast was great, love the different types of onigiris the aunties made as well as the BBQ meat balls (I liked it better than IKEA's actually haha).

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family