All reviews freshness burger public bath free spa small room gyoza flat pillows shinjuku gyoemmae shinjuku gyoen national garden minute walk shiseido products yen shop tight squeeze clean hotel walking distance train station single traveller mini fridge
Reviewed July 11, 2018

I read the reviews about how tiny the rooms are and assumed we would be ok as my mom and I are both pretty small (5'1 tall). We booked a double room (1 full-size bed) for four days. I felt so claustrophobic and DREADED coming back to the room each night. If you've ever been on a cruise, I'd have to say the room and bathrooms are much smaller than the rooms on the ship. The window was tiny and we could barely get any natural light in. The room is so smal that their is a sign in the bathroom stating that one should keep the bathroom door closed when showering or else the steam might trigger the the sprinklers to go off (what?!). The bathroom was even smaller. The faucet for the shower and sink were connected, so you turn one on, the other turns on. However, I have to give the hotel props for cleanliness. It was very clean. When we opted out of getting our room cleaned, hotel staff would always leave a bag of toiletries outside our door (a plus). Also, the wi-fi was TERRIBLE. It was slow, inconsistent, most of the didnt even work, and did not work for us after 10pm. Also only one outlet and two USB ports in the room.

Front desk staff was not friendly. We had trouble making reservations to a restaurant in Shibuya and asked the front desk to help. Their response "Sorry, we don't make reservations". However, the wouldn't even help us/answer questions about how to use the room phone.

Location was great. The subway station was only a few steps away and we easily took the subway to and from the airport and throughout Tokyo. Also, very close to the large shopping streets of Shinjuku.

Summary: I am not sure how large the other rooms are, but I would NOT recommend booking a double room at this hotel. If you can get a larger room, I would recommend this hotel based on the location and cleaniness. However, if you need wi-fi for travel research or work, the wifi was terrible, you may want to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: do not book a double! claustrophobic!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
アパホテル新宿御苑前, Receptionist at APA Hotel Shinjuku Gyoemmae, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2018

"Thank you for staying with us here APA HOTEL SHINJUKU GYOEMMAE and your review. We are sorry that we let you down and did not meet your expections. APA Hotel is a compact hotel and placing emphasis on functionality. Due to the energy saving effect resulting from miniaturization of the guests rooms, the environmental burden per guest is reduced.  As a result, carbon dioxide is suppressed by one-third.  We certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again.
"

Masuda / Receptionist

Reviewed July 8, 2018

Overall we had a pleasant stay at the hotel. The staffs were extremely helpful. They called us when our luggage was delivered, and helped us merge 2 bookings into 1 so we don't have to check out twice. The room was very clean. If you put a "do not disturb" sign, they would left bags of new towels and toiletries for you. The public bath and swimming pools were nice! They also had coin laundry onsite, which was very much needed. It is 1-2 mint walk to a Toei subway station. There are not a lot of restaurant choices around, but they do have 2 convenient stores nearby. In the guest rooms, there were some Japan nationalist propaganda materials denying Japan's involvement in Pearly Harbor Attack and Nanking Massacre. That was really a turnoff for us. Be aware of that if you don't feel like spending money and financially support such institution.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
アパホテル新宿御苑前, Receptionist/Imoto at APA Hotel Shinjuku Gyoemmae, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Thank you for staying with us here APA HOTEL SHINJYUKU GYOEMMAE.
We appreciate your great feedback.
We look forward to the opportunity to provide you with another stay.

Reviewed July 8, 2018

We found some of the staff not very pleasant at the front desk. One would ask something and they would talk in Japanese as if talking about you. And the ones I spoke to had very limited English.
The rooms were immaculate albeit extremely small. Don't come here with 2 big suit cases as one just about has to go in the hallway.
Free internet which is nice.
The tv is mostly in Japanese, even the CNN and UK channels, very annoying. And there is no translation for anything in the room.
Breakfast being a vegan was okay, although soy milk would have been nice to have.
There was a tiny window which I could not open but I believe looked straight at the wall 1 meter away of the next building.
The temperature in the hallways where the rooms were was stifling..no aircon...very bad I though...
The tiny bathroom with the tiny bathtub was cute, was enough for me but if one is old and cannot step into the bath one cannot take a shower.
The baths downstairs were fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a view room and check the sizes available before you go.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the APA HOTEL SHINJYUKU GYOEMMAE and for your time to
share your experience.
We are sorry that we let you down and did not meet your expections. We will try to improve the level of service to satisfy our customers.
the guests rooms, the environmental vurden per guest is reduced.
As a result, carbon dioxide is suppressed by one-third. We certainly hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed July 4, 2018

Great location, clean and quiet rooms, friendly staff. The room was the smallest I'd seen in Japan and with me by myself, only one suitcase and a backpack, I felt crowded in the space. BUT, I wasn't in Tokyo to hang out in the hotel room so it definitely met the need for a nice place to sleep and shower.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Venetia B
アパホテル新宿御苑前, MATSUSHIMA/ Receptionist at APA Hotel Shinjuku Gyoemmae, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2018

Thank you for staying APA HOTEL〈SHINJUKU-GYOEMMAE〉.
The room we provide is compact but very convenient for staying comfortable for the guests.
There are lerge TV, the controller for electricity of all lights in rooms, and high grade amenities, and so on.
We are very proud of our service, and we hope that you could find them while you were staying here.
We certainly hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Japan.

Reviewed June 24, 2018

Hotel was very clean and staff super nice and polite. Rooms and toilet are very small which can get a bit annoying at times, when there´s no room to move. Bed was comfy, but pillow was super thin so I recommed you to bring x-tra pillow with you. If you would like to use hotel spa be sure you don´t have any tattoos.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
アパホテル新宿御苑前, お客様担当マネージャー at APA Hotel Shinjuku Gyoemmae, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2018

Thank you for your review and even more for your stay with us.
We are delighted to here you were able to feel comfortable and relaxed in our guestrooms.
Thank you.