When I was done with a long day touring the busy and fast-paced downtown, it was really nice unwinding at Megumi's house.
The house itself is in good repair and has everything you might need. I really appreciated having a washing machine and kotatsu. I didn't cook, but there's every kind of kitchen implement.
One of the biggest benefits of renting from Megumi is the close proximity of the house to the Sugamo main street. To get to this house from the Sugamo station, you walk through a very traditional and vibrant street which has literally hundreds of shops selling everything from sweets to red underwear. The street has many English-friendly restaurants, supermarkets, convenience stores, and a foreign-ATM card machine in the post office. I ate at four of the restaurants and they were all excellent and well-priced.
Some benefits of renting this house:
- You get 4-6 times the floor space of a similarly-priced hotel. Two people sharing the cost of this house is a super win compared to a hotel.
- It comes with every appliance you need. The washing machine allows you to pack light and have room for more things to carry back.
- The neighborhood is incredibly quiet and feels safe. The surrounding building are old, but that's kind of the entire theme of Sugamo.
- The walk to the house is chock full of vending machines, convenience stores, and good places to eat.
- Megumi is an excellent guide and gives you a rundown of the area and the house
- There are local maps and recommendations for restaurants.