“Pleasant stay in a lovely and convenient hotel, with helpful/thoughtful front end/back end staffs.”

Hotel Sardonyx Ueno
Ranked #18 of 120 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We travel to Japan from 1st May and left on 14th May, staying 6 different hotel and ryokan during our trip.

My hubby and I stayed in Hotel Sardonyx Ueno for 4 nights in Tokyo, from 2nd May to 6th May.
The hotel is reasonably priced, very very convenient (as there are 4 interchange stations which is 1 minute walk away, i.e. JR line, Oedo line, Hibiya Line and Ginza Line), clean and quiet.

The hotel room was small (as usual in Tokyo), yet very comfortable. I would like to special highlight the thoughtfulness of their housekeeping/maintenance staff. We were there 4 nights, and we only request to housekeep the room once. However, in order to ensure we have clean towers and sufficient toiletries, their staff put 2 set of yukata, 2 set of bath towels and hand towels, floor towels and green tea in a paper bag and placed it outside the room door. Apart from the ryokan in Takayama, none of the hotels in Japan that we had stayed in, did these for us. We were very amazed by their thoughtfulness.

The hotel were small, but have complete facilities, such as vending machines for drinks, coin operated laundry in reasonable pricing and a cafe that attached to hotel for our breakfast.

Further to that, the staff were very helpful too. During our stay there, it was raining almost everyday in Tokyo. Before we even reach the automated door to head for the train station, a lady staff with a very sweet smile (I forgotten to take note of her name) handed two umbrellas for us, and even reminded us on the temperature outside, and asked if we need to bring out any warm clothing, as both of us were only wearing a collared T. Good staff!!!

If I were to travel to Tokyo again, I will definitely choose this hotel. Many thanks to JTB Malaysia for arranging us to stay in such a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is the coin operated laundy, and 8th floor has vending machines for drinks (coffee and bee...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Joebaby21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ede, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My 4 nights stay in this hotel was a very positive experience. The rooms are small (as usual in Tokyo) but clean and well equipped with a comfortable bed, refrigerator, internet, TV and bathroom.
The breakfast is one of the "minimal type", but in a city as Tokyo I don't want to eat breakfast at the hotel anyway.
And then what for me is always the most important for short stays: Location!

A perfect area with lots of restaurants, shops, restaurants, subway connection, restaurants, Skyliner connection (for Narita airport) and did I already mention there are a lot of restaurants in the area?
And the nice thing is that despite that the hotel is located in a active area, the inside of the hotel is unbelievable quiet and calm.
Value for money: absolute.
Would I return: absolute.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Da_BenDan
London
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I stayed at Hotel Sardonyx for 3 nights recently.For 21000 yen I got a small but well appointed room, very clean and breakfast included at the coffee shop attached to the hotel. Lovely comfortable firm bed with a nice warm duvet cover. The bathroom has modular fittings identical to a hotel that I stayed in later on my holiday and is a very functional design. The location is fine close to Ueno station and closer still to Okachimachi station on the JR Tokyo circle line and the nearest subway staion is only two minutes away as well. Plenty of shops and eateries in the semi pedestrianised lanes behind the hotel. I arrived late morning aware that the room would not be available until 1500. The receptionist was more than happy to take my luggage into store and off I went to enjoy the cherry blossom walk in nearby Ueno Park and some outdoor food in the Spring sunshine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank CatmanLondon
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at Hotel Sardonyx for one night at the end of a longer stay in Tokyo, because my flight from Narita departed in the morning and I wanted to avoid carrying my luggage through the whole city during rush hour. The hotel is located around 5 minutes from Keisei Ueno station, from where direct trains to Narita Airport depart. Also within around 5 minutes walking distance is JR Ueno station, from where a bunch of local and regional trains leave.

Next to the hotel is the area of Ameyokocho, formerly a black market strip during the occupation period and today one of Tokyos most vibrant street markets. Especially in the evenings it represents a great opportunity to enjoy the charm of the older days. There are also a huge number of small and rather traditional restaurants and izakaya nearby. Behind JR Ueno station is Ueno park, one of the hotspots not only during cherry blossom season! Visit excellent museums and of course: Ueno Zoo!

The hotel itself appeared very new and clean. The rooms were of average size, but did not leave open any wishes. The bathroom was quite tiny, but very clean and well equipped. The bed was very comfortable! My room was on the 10th floor and from my window I had a nice view over the area.

The only downside of the hotel might be that it does not have its own breakfast or dining room. Instead, guests receive a voucher for a small breakfast set at a coffee shop in the same building. This chain-café/ restaurant is very small and as usual, not divided into smokers/ non-smokers, which might be a problem for many guests. The American-style breakfast itself is not bad though.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank CityHopper87
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel is located in the beautiful neigbourhood Ueno, close to train and metro. Nice hotel with friendly staff

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Malacca, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 April 2012

this hotel is a good location to everything and everywhere. basically situated walking distance the naka okachimachi subway station (hibiya line) and okachimachi station on the yamanote line and also JR ueno station. you can walk practically everywhere from here. to ueno park, zoo, ameyoko, hard rock. it was perfect. plenty of eateries all over. spoilt for choices. rooms are small in size but that's how its like in tokyo. free breakfast given and its a set meal of either toast, sausage, pancakes. very rare to get free breakfast so that is good. prior to our stay in sardonyx, we stayed at the disneyland hotel and paid like 56,000-00 yen per nite and yet we never received any complimentary breakfast. so its good that they offer breakfast.
there is also a self laundry room on the 3rd floor which only costs 200 yen. this was helpful too. if u r looking for something not so fancy, would reccomend this hotel. after all most time spent is outside the hotel. we only came back late at nite to sleep. beds are super comfy.. all in all a good location for moving about, loads of food and activities

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank gunsham
Shinjuku, Japan
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Located minutes from Ueno station and Ueno park. Just right next to Ameyoko market. With cozy room and great amenities, you won't regret staying here. I've stayed here where I feel like home. Kudos!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple