“Nice ryokan with private bathroom, in a nice neighborhood.”
Review of Annex Katsutaro

Annex Katsutaro
Ranked #21 of 155 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
Reviewed 3 May 2017

Maybe we expected more considering the reviews we read on TripAdvisor, but we were a little disappointed. The rooms are tatami covered and we slept on futons, which were goodl. The bathroom was very small with a simple toilet and small shower. We had free wi-fi and there is a dining area in the lobby. We also had little refrigerator in our room. The owner (father?) was kind and polite. The only reason we took it is that it had a private bathroom and it was an OK place, but nothing too fancy. The location is great; right next to Yanaka-ginza, a nice little shopping street with souvenir shops. Their rate during the weekend is mroe expensive than weekdays.

Room Tip: Check the room to see that it fits you, but bear in mind that a more spacious room costs more.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
A.katsutaro, マネージャー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2017

Reviewed 20 April 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights after our flights from Chicago. It is about a 10 minute walk to a J rail station. Our room had western style bathroom which I did insist on with our lodging. There is a arcade(Japanese version of a strip mall) with multiple restaurants in a 2-5 minute walk from the inn. Lodging was reasonably priced, hosts were friendly and we had the advantage that my son who speaks Japanese was with us. This is a taste of real Japan, not tourist Japan

Room Tip: make sure you have a western style bathroom,
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan.
We hope your stay with us was comfortable and a memorable one.

Reviewed 20 March 2017

The layout of the Japanese room was really good with its own western style bathroom for a bit more privacy. The staff were helpful, location really good. There is a 7/11 and drug store close by. Plenty of shops, restaurant/cafes nearby also. Really good Fukusuke Sake bar up the road, and Nagomi Chicken Restaurant.

Nippori station is not too far. The bus service also can take you around and provides a more authentic feel to the place. Loved the Nippori area with its local character, and hope to go back.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
A.katsutaro, マネージャー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2017

Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan.
We hope your stay with us was comfortable and a memorable one.

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

From the moment we walked through the door we knew that this was a special place.
The welcome was incredible from a gentlemen who spoke very good English. He explained everything so clearly and took us to the room.
The room has air-conditioning but in February we needed it warm.
The room is Japanese style and the beds were so comfortable. There is a kettle with an ample supply of tea and coffee and there is a fridge.
I found the WiFi to be very good.
The bathroom is a good size but some people may find the bath to be on the small side.
When we checked in we were given an excellent map and the helpful gentlemen went through it with us. The area is so interesting and I would have liked to have time to explore it further.
We discovered a really nice bar called Yanaka Hello and had a brilliant evening there.
Checkout is 10am and again there was a very helpful and courteous lady on reception.
We did not opt for breakfast.
Annex Katsutaro is close to the station Sendagi which is C15.
I have no doubts whatsoever about staying here again.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gordon B
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2017

Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan and for being such a wonderful guest.We hope your stay with us was a comfortable and a memorable one.

We appreciate your comments.This means so much to our future improvement.
Thank you very much.

We are glad to know that you liked our surrounding neighbourhood.
There are still so much to explore in this old fashioned Yanaka area!!

Please do come and visit us again,maybe in another season or so.
You are always welcome in our homely ryokan.

Reviewed 4 February 2017

A minute walk from metro station (Sendagi, one station away from Nippori; within a walk from Ueno) and surrounded by a quiet neighborhood, this simple japanese-style hotel is great. One kombini is across the street and many cafes around.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2017

On my first-ever visit to Tokyo and Japan, I wanted to get a lodging that would be memorable and solid without breaking the bank. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, I canceled an existing reservation in nearby Kuramae, and booked at Annex Katsutaro. After four nights of stay here, I was extremely pleased.

- The Basics -

The hotel is located in the neighborhood of Yanaka, a rare Tokyo neighborhood that retains old narrow streets and neighborhood shops. It has easy access to two mass transit stations: Nippori Station, which serves the Yamanote Line and other key JR trains as well as the Keisei Skyliner to/from Narita Airport, and Sendagi Station, which is on the Chiyoda Line of Tokyo Metro subway. Despite the easy access to two stations, the neighborhood remained very quiet and cozy, and I really appreciated it.

The building from the outside is a modern concrete building, but inside, the rooms are traditional Japanese, with tatami floor. I must take my shoes off inside my room, and sleep on the floor on top of a blanket. I actually loved this.

- Check-in -

The proprietors are an elderly couple and speak excellent English. They were super friendly, and the gentleman made sure to come all the way to my room to demonstrate how to use the power features, the heater, and more.

The proprietors live on the property, it seemed, and they do need their sleep, so the front door is locked between 11PM and 7AM. During the curfew hours, it is necessary to enter a code at a side door located in the proprietors' carport; the code is available from the front desk and is updated every Monday.

During check-in, the proprietors also hand out a neighborhood map, which comes in handy for figuring out where some of the numerous local temples and shrines are, how to walk to Ueno Park's attractions, and whether it would be better to use Nippori and JR trains or Sendagi and the subway trains to reach a given destination in the Tokyo area. The map came in very handy as I tried to locate quite a few different sights in the neighborhood. The proprietors are also very willing to give out advice and instructions on sights elsewhere in Tokyo as well.

- The room -

Again, traditional Japanese. Rooms can house anywhere between 1 and 3 people, and are on the small side, as expected in Tokyo. But for my purposes, I couldn't ask for anything better.

In addition to the high-mounted HVAC unit, I could also expect a small television set, a teapot, complimentary tea and coffee, and a work/dining table with a mat to go along with it. A closet can store either my clothes, or the sheets when I'm not sleeping. There is also a tiny refrigerator, though I kept it unplugged as I didn't need it.

The window has inner panes with traditional Japanese paper, for even more of that traditional ryokan feeling. Opaque enough to be private but letting in enough diffused light to wake me up in the morning.

Sleeping on the floor on the blanket was very comfortable. It was even more comfortable when I put on the provided yukata as my nightgown.

- Wrap-up -

I grabbed my single on a sale that brought the price of the room down to that of a run-down business hotel I had originally booked. And compared to a business hotel, I had a far more pleasant, authentic stay, in a very charming neighborhood that brought home the reality that I had finally made it to Japan.

Between the affordable pricing, the great proprietors, the charming Yanaka neighborhood, and easy access to mass transit, I truly couldn't ask for a better property to stay at in Tokyo. When I return to Tokyo for a more in-depth visit (and that is not an if, but a when), I definitely will look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank skinnylawyer
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2017

We appreciate your detailed comments.This means so much to us for our future improvement and it would be such a great reference for the reviewers.Thank you very much.

We are glad to know that you liked our surrounding neighbour.There are still so much to explore! Please do come and visit us again, maybe in another season or so.
You are always welcome in our homely ryokan! Until then, please take care.

Reviewed 30 October 2016 via mobile

A great base for us to stay and explore this lovely area and other parts of Tokyo. Brilliantly located near three train stations including the Yamanote line as well as buses. Also perfect for restaurants, galleries, shrines, temples, Yanaka ginza Yanaka cemetery and the winding narrow streets. Ryokan itself spotless, our room had everything we could want and the staff were very helpful. Laundry on site great after 3 weeks travelling! Toast, coffee and juice a civilised way to start the day as was the recommendation of local Japanese breakfast places that were another great Japanese experience. Despite being centrally located it was peaceful and quiet. Absolutely recommended.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosey C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taito
Hotel Livemax Nippori
#33 of 155 in Taito
Hotel Graphy Nezu
Hotel Graphy Nezu
#6 of 155 in Taito

Been to Annex Katsutaro? Share your experiences!