All reviews nippori station yanaka ginza yamanote line narita airport minute walk ueno park food vendors traditional shops tatami mats tea bags west exit rooms are great shopping street first stop own bathroom great neighborhood stayed nights
Reviewed April 20, 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights after our flights from Chicago. It is about a 10 minute walk to a J rail station. Our room had western style bathroom which I did insist on with our lodging. There is a arcade(Japanese version of a strip mall) with multiple restaurants in a 2-5 minute walk from the inn. Lodging was reasonably priced, hosts were friendly and we had the advantage that my son who speaks Japanese was with us. This is a taste of real Japan, not tourist Japan

Room tip: make sure you have a western style bathroom,
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
A.katsutaro, マネージャー at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2017

Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan.
We hope your stay with us was comfortable and a memorable one.
We appreciate your comments.
This means so much to our future improvement.
Thank you very much.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed March 20, 2017

The layout of the Japanese room was really good with its own western style bathroom for a bit more privacy. The staff were helpful, location really good. There is a 7/11 and drug store close by. Plenty of shops, restaurant/cafes nearby also. Really good Fukusuke Sake bar up the road, and Nagomi Chicken Restaurant.

Nippori station is not too far. The bus service also can take you around and provides a more authentic feel to the place. Loved the Nippori area with its local character, and hope to go back.

Date of stay: February 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
A.katsutaro, マネージャー at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2017

Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan.
We hope your stay with us was comfortable and a memorable one.
We appreciate your comments.
This means so much to our future improvement.
Thank you very much.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed February 10, 2017 via mobile

From the moment we walked through the door we knew that this was a special place.
The welcome was incredible from a gentlemen who spoke very good English. He explained everything so clearly and took us to the room.
The room has air-conditioning but in February we needed it warm.
The room is Japanese style and the beds were so comfortable. There is a kettle with an ample supply of tea and coffee and there is a fridge.
I found the WiFi to be very good.
The bathroom is a good size but some people may find the bath to be on the small side.
When we checked in we were given an excellent map and the helpful gentlemen went through it with us. The area is so interesting and I would have liked to have time to explore it further.
We discovered a really nice bar called Yanaka Hello and had a brilliant evening there.
Checkout is 10am and again there was a very helpful and courteous lady on reception.
We did not opt for breakfast.
Annex Katsutaro is close to the station Sendagi which is C15.
I have no doubts whatsoever about staying here again.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank 143GordonB
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2017

Thank you for staying at the Annex Katsutaro Ryokan and for being such a wonderful guest.We hope your stay with us was a comfortable and a memorable one.

We appreciate your comments.This means so much to our future improvement.
Thank you very much.

We are glad to know that you liked our surrounding neighbourhood.
There are still so much to explore in this old fashioned Yanaka area!!

Please do come and visit us again,maybe in another season or so.
You are always welcome in our homely ryokan.

Reviewed February 4, 2017

A minute walk from metro station (Sendagi, one station away from Nippori; within a walk from Ueno) and surrounded by a quiet neighborhood, this simple japanese-style hotel is great. One kombini is across the street and many cafes around.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2017

On my first-ever visit to Tokyo and Japan, I wanted to get a lodging that would be memorable and solid without breaking the bank. After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, I canceled an existing reservation in nearby Kuramae, and booked at Annex Katsutaro. After four nights of stay here, I was extremely pleased.

- The Basics -

The hotel is located in the neighborhood of Yanaka, a rare Tokyo neighborhood that retains old narrow streets and neighborhood shops. It has easy access to two mass transit stations: Nippori Station, which serves the Yamanote Line and other key JR trains as well as the Keisei Skyliner to/from Narita Airport, and Sendagi Station, which is on the Chiyoda Line of Tokyo Metro subway. Despite the easy access to two stations, the neighborhood remained very quiet and cozy, and I really appreciated it.

The building from the outside is a modern concrete building, but inside, the rooms are traditional Japanese, with tatami floor. I must take my shoes off inside my room, and sleep on the floor on top of a blanket. I actually loved this.

- Check-in -

The proprietors are an elderly couple and speak excellent English. They were super friendly, and the gentleman made sure to come all the way to my room to demonstrate how to use the power features, the heater, and more.

The proprietors live on the property, it seemed, and they do need their sleep, so the front door is locked between 11PM and 7AM. During the curfew hours, it is necessary to enter a code at a side door located in the proprietors' carport; the code is available from the front desk and is updated every Monday.

During check-in, the proprietors also hand out a neighborhood map, which comes in handy for figuring out where some of the numerous local temples and shrines are, how to walk to Ueno Park's attractions, and whether it would be better to use Nippori and JR trains or Sendagi and the subway trains to reach a given destination in the Tokyo area. The map came in very handy as I tried to locate quite a few different sights in the neighborhood. The proprietors are also very willing to give out advice and instructions on sights elsewhere in Tokyo as well.

- The room -

Again, traditional Japanese. Rooms can house anywhere between 1 and 3 people, and are on the small side, as expected in Tokyo. But for my purposes, I couldn't ask for anything better.

In addition to the high-mounted HVAC unit, I could also expect a small television set, a teapot, complimentary tea and coffee, and a work/dining table with a mat to go along with it. A closet can store either my clothes, or the sheets when I'm not sleeping. There is also a tiny refrigerator, though I kept it unplugged as I didn't need it.

The window has inner panes with traditional Japanese paper, for even more of that traditional ryokan feeling. Opaque enough to be private but letting in enough diffused light to wake me up in the morning.

Sleeping on the floor on the blanket was very comfortable. It was even more comfortable when I put on the provided yukata as my nightgown.

- Wrap-up -

I grabbed my single on a sale that brought the price of the room down to that of a run-down business hotel I had originally booked. And compared to a business hotel, I had a far more pleasant, authentic stay, in a very charming neighborhood that brought home the reality that I had finally made it to Japan.

Between the affordable pricing, the great proprietors, the charming Yanaka neighborhood, and easy access to mass transit, I truly couldn't ask for a better property to stay at in Tokyo. When I return to Tokyo for a more in-depth visit (and that is not an if, but a when), I definitely will look forward to staying here again.

Date of stay: January 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
6  Thank skinnylawyer
A.katsutaro, オーナー at Annex Katsutaro Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2017

We appreciate your detailed comments.This means so much to us for our future improvement and it would be such a great reference for the reviewers.Thank you very much.

We are glad to know that you liked our surrounding neighbour.There are still so much to explore! Please do come and visit us again, maybe in another season or so.
You are always welcome in our homely ryokan! Until then, please take care.