“Excellent value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 56 Speciality lodging in Taito
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Aizuya Inn was a clean and charming place tucked away in the Taito district of Tokyo. For under 3000yen, I enjoyed immaculate and clean Japanese decor, and a single tamami room just the right size for a solo traveller. Very quiet, enabling good night's sleep. Staff were friendly. Only drawbacks were lack of Japanese maps (I prefer to read Japanese than English when it comes to travelling), and the location was a little bit out of the way, a little north of Ueno, Tokyo and Akihabara. Overall, a very pleasant and stay, recommended for those on a tight budget.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tenterden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed here with a friend this summer, and was very pleased with Aizuya Inn. The room was clean, not at all noisy and the inn itself was nicely decorated and again, always clean. The area had direct and easy access to Ueno and from here the whole of Tokyo is easily accessible. Very convenient, and felt safe. The staff were friendly and helpful, and it offered all the facilities you could need. No complaints whatsoever!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I stayed here for two nights and I had such a fantastic stay. The staff were so welcoming and helpful. The place is really clean and warm and really nicely decorated throughout. The showers are coin operated but they are great showers and very clean. On my last morning I had a Japanese breakfast from the restaurant that is part of the hostel and it was really excellent.

The location is fine - it's not that central but I found it relatively easy to get around and as I wasn't staying up too late partying it wasn't a problem. The area felt safe to me, I never had any worries.

Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2011

I chose Aizuya Inn as my base when I first traveled solo to Tokyo for 3 days based on the following factors: location, the inn's atmosphere, staff, and it's reputed good record for cleanliness.

I found the inn very charming and clean. Most people would say that the rooms are tiny, but in my opinion, the 3-tatami room suits me fine since I was by myself. The futon provided was not the most comfortable, but it is bearable. It got quite chilly during early morning when I went there in May, so requesting an extra blanket is best. For some reason, the window had a metal lock/stopper on the side so I wasn't able to close it completely when it was getting cold. There was also a time when apparently some drunk people were out at the streets early morning talking loudly, and I woke up from my sleep. But this is something the owner can't control, so request another room away from the street side if that happens to you.

The washrooms are super clean and fragrant. The bathroom showers are coin operated. It is 100 yen for 5 minutes, but stopping the water also stops the timer - so no need to panic there! :) I always brought 2-3 coins with me at first just in case, but soon I found that 1 coin is already sufficient. Hot water is available and in my experience, it does not come out slow at all. Tip: bring your own flip flops for showering.

The inn's proximity to the Minamisenju station in Tokyo is only a few blocks away, which is good. Once you get to the train station, anywhere in Tokyo is already within reach. You will have to pass by some inner streets to get to where the inn is situated. There are old people who sometimes loiter around the streets - just don't pay them attention and they will not mind you. I encountered a drunk old man one time when I was walking back to the inn, but I just went ahead and walked straight pass - thinking that I do have the physical advantage just in case this 'oji-san' wants some trouble. But streets in Tokyo are for the most part safe and many people still walk or stroll around in their bikes even at night, so no need to worry. In any case, being alert and cautious doesn't hurt.

There's no charge using the internet, which was good. But the computers were evidently quite old, and slow. I found it hard typing some characters at first because the keyboard is not western style. But these are just minor things, and those bringing their laptop with them won't be bothered.

Lastly, I would like to commend the Aizuya staff for a great job overall and for being nice and super helpful to me. On the day I was about to check out, I requested for an extension to 11 am because I was planning to go to Asakusa temple in the morning and returning at 10 am for check out was too soon for me. Good thing I already packed my bags. They suggested that I can just check out earlier before leaving to Asakusa, and then offered to keep my bags at the inn until I pick them up whenever I need to during the day after I return from my side trips. I appreciate that they understood my situation and gladly helped me out.

Overall, amidst all the minor things I mentioned, I had a good stay at Aizuya Inn. It is definitely worth "checking in"!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Euriha
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

Decent location, friendly and helpful staff, good facilities, and can't beat the price. I stayed here for 7 nights, and while the rooms are rather small, what do you expect - it's Tokyo! I did find a cockroach in my room one night, and the neighbourhood is a bit shady, but the interesting locals were mostly just friendly. For any backpackers looking for a cheap staging point for Tokyo, look no further.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

Tokyo was my last stop of 5 months around the world and this was the best place of the whole trip at combining the cleanliness and efficiency of a decent hotel with the welcome and friendliness of a good hostel. So much so that I decided to make the Aizuya Inn my base in Japan and had 3 separate stays here. It was nice to be welcomed back like an old friend.

Each room was spotless, light and airy (I didn't need the air con in May), laid out with tatami mats and quiet at night, even those facing the street. Some were quite small but still fine for a single traveller with a big pack. At the end of the hall are toilets and washing facilities, again always clean. Whilst the showers were coin operated and located on the ground floor I never felt intimidated going downstairs in the morning, this is how many hostels are after all.

The location is fine, a fairly quiet neighbourhood. You can walk to Asakusa for the temples, and its about 8-10mins walk to Minami Senju for both metro and JR line which are both useful even though the tourist spots of Shinjuku and Shibuya are on the other side of town. Most importantly for me the neighbourhood felt safe, I often walked back at night on my own without any concerns.

Without doubt the greatest assets are the staff and the communal area. Its not a partying place but its good for meeting other travellers. The front room area facilitates this naturally. Everyone says hello when coming in, using the PCs or eating, although you can keep to yourself if you want to. All the staff were kind, helpful and happy to offer information on the city. I'm not good with names (or spellings) but Raoul and Kimon in particular were lovely, and this led to a few late discussions on Anglo-Danish-Japanese cultural differences that made my stay more memorable.

Room Tip: 4.5 tatami room 1st fl, front was light and airy