All reviews the cottages excellent location sculptures quinta island touring
Reviewed February 20, 2017

We booked a two-bedroom cottage at Quinta Das Acacias for a quiet week's stay in the off-season. We loved the gardens and grounds, with the thoughtful plantings of perennials that flourish in the volcanic soil. We enjoyed the hammocks and listening to the songbirds while sitting on the porch. The cottage was immaculate, and well-stocked for cooking, with a full size stove and refrigerator. The weather turned cold during our stay, and we enjoyed using the wood stove. Bonita and Ed were gracious hosts, and provided detailed maps for local stores and restaurants. The location was close to all the island's sights, but once back on the grounds, we felt like we were in our own little world. It was the perfect location for a restful vacation.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
AtHome_128, Owner at Quinta das Acacias Rural Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2018

Thank you for your great review! We appreciate that you enjoyed the gardens we have created for our guests to relax, do yoga or mediate on.

Reviewed November 10, 2016

I stayed at this wonderful place when I vacationed in Portugal! The grounds were so well taken care of; plants were beautiful, different variety of flowers blooming and were breathtaking, manicured lawns, opening gate to this wonderous paradise. Lava stone walls surrounded you, the sculptures. The cottages were so well maintained; so clean and spotless and comfortable. Fruit trees also adorned the property; fig trees, banana, tea. The view from the cottages of Ponta Del Gada was spectacular. I witnessed fireworks the first night I was there and it was amazing! And the hosts were absolutely amazing; Bonita Sousa and her husband Senor Ed made my stay the most memorable stay. They were excellent hosts and were very helpful amazing people. stayng at Quinta das Acacias felt like I was in my own little kingdom. It was like heaven on earth. The picturesque lawns, staircases, sitting areas, just can't be explained in words. I will definitely be taking another vacation here and will not be staying any other place but here! Absolutely loved it and would recommend it for anyone.

Room Tip: it is very accessible, close to all amenities, very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
AtHome_128, Owner at Quinta das Acacias Rural Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2016

Thank you for the great review! We hope you enjoyed our gardens with the largest variety of plants and art sculptures by our Azorean Master sculptor ,Eduino M. Sousa.
The cottages are upgraded with new amenities to continue to improve your stay. We take the guests comfort very seriously. With more and more previous guests returning to stay with us. I hope we are continue to exceed the standards.

Reviewed August 25, 2016

We just came back from Sao Miguel, a total of 7 adults and 2 children stood at the immaculate large cottage. This property is absolutely beautiful and is surrounded by a wall & gate that is secure at all times. We would always leave the back door unlocked whether we were inside or outside the grounds. The view from this house is amazing, we can see all the way to Ponta Delgada. The garden is breathtaking. Planted on the property are several fruit trees; figs, bananas, lemons, chestnuts, araçais (not sure what the proper translation is in English). Additionally, the very well manicured garden has several herbs, flower trees and interesting hand made sculptures. My 5 and 3 year old niece and nephew were totally amused by the lagartichas (lizards) that can be seen on a sunny day sunbathing on the rock walls. Tom the cat was a big hit with all of us. The owners Ed and Bonita Sousa were very helpful and friendly. I hope to soon be back to this beautiful island and will certainly reach out to the Sousas to book one of their cottages. I can’t imagine staying any other place…….

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank JoanaMateus01
EBS12, Owner at Quinta das Acacias Rural Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2016

HI Joana,
What a nice review! Thank you for taking the time to give online visitors a view of our Quinta das Acacias gardens and our private villa where you stayed this time. We hope you have time to travel back with your family and enjoy more of the island, maybe take a walk on the trails to see the hidden gems in the hills or walk through village and find a traditional family restaurant to have lunch.

Reviewed March 20, 2016

My husband and I stayed in the 2-bedroom cottage for a month this winter, with our daughter and son-in-law joining us for a week. Everything about our stay was simply wonderful. The Quinta is the most beautiful garden setting imaginable; the cottage is spotless, charming, and very well-equipped; and the host and hostess are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. It was our first trip to the Azores, which we found to be a paradise if you enjoy the outdoors, hiking, thermal baths, and gardens. Friendly, helpful people, great food at reasonable prices, spectacular scenery. From the Quinta, you can easily drive anywhere on the island in less than an hour, so it makes a great base for exploring. There's a supermarket a short drive away, and it's a quick and easy drive to/from the airport as well as downtown Ponta Delgada.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
EBS12, Owner at Quinta das Acacias Rural Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2016

Hi Beverly,
Thank you for the compliments and review with description of how to enjoy the island from our location. Quinta das Acacias is the only gardens with sculptures in all the Azores islands. Guests get to visit and relax amongst the greenery for free when you stay in one of our houses on the island.
If you are not a guest but would like to be, contact us so we can have the chance to meet and get to know you.

Reviewed February 5, 2016

I brought 11 high school students to Sao Miguel for a service/sightseeing trip in January for my school's Winterterm session. I have stayed at Quinta das Acacias twice before, so naturally I knew this would be the perfect place to bring my students. The property is absolutely beautiful and is surrounded by a wall & gate that is secure at all times, making it a safe haven for teenagers. The cottages are the perfect set up for a group like this. Cottage #1, the largest with 2 levels & 2 bedrooms became our central meeting place and home for 3 students. We ate all of our meals there and it fit the group of 13 just fine. We utilized the table & chairs on the porch and the comfortable couch & chairs in the living room area. We also had 4 students staying in 2 other cottages, all within a short walk to each other to make for easy visiting among the students. The 2 chaperones stayed in another cottage. Each cottage is set up with a modern kitchen, bath, 1 bedroom with twin beds and the living room has a day bed and trundle bed. The cottages are immaculately clean and very comfortable. The students were amazed at the beautiful grounds filled with fruit trees and Ed's unique pieces of sculpture.
Bonita and Ed Sousa are the most accommodating and helpful people I have ever met. When I told Bonita about my trip and the idea that I wanted to include volunteerism opportunities for the students, she immediately contacted several places for me. She arranged for my students to visit an orphanage & a local elementary school where they helped 3rd graders learn English. My students bought backpacks and filled them with school supplies and brought them to the children. This visit to the orphanage was truly life-changing for several of my students. All were so touched by the visit that they asked to go back a second time.
Ed and Bonita also suggested many activities and sights for the group to do and see. They obviously know and love Sao Miguel and are anxious to share its beauty and stunning scenery with visitors. Bonita arranged for the group to go horse riding with Quinta da Terca, a local stable. Most of the students were beginners but were made to feel very comfortable and safe on horseback, thanks to our guides. We rode around the volcanic crater lakes of Sete Cidades for half the day, had a picnic lunch lakeside, and kayaked in the lakes for the other half. Bonita also suggested a relaxing soak in the thermal hot springs at Dona Beija in Furnas after a walk around Lake Furnas and then we enjoyed the cozido meal for dinner. The students learned about volcanoes during our walk underground in a lava tube and learned about tea production on Sao Miguel at our visit to 1 of the only tea plantations in Europe.
Sao Miguel is the perfect place for any visitor looking for an off-the-beaten path, beautiful and interesting vacation. Quinta das Acacias is the only place I would stay and I highly recommend it. It's perfect for anyone, whether you are a couple, friends, family or a small group. Ed and Bonita will be sure to provide you with a stay that will create fond memories and make you want to return to their paradise.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with friends
EBS12, Owner at Quinta das Acacias Rural Accommodations, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2016

Thank you for writing a review of your vacation with your students. The girls did a great job volunteering at the school and orphanage. Glad we were able to help with your organizing the project. We have several cottages in a gated property. This made for a safe trip for the first time travelling students. The activities available in January kept the students very busy even on the occasional day weather change.
We are looking forward to more visitors checking out Sao Miguel during low season (November to March).