All reviews chef gregor solar power the main house mother nature perfect summer stand up paddle boarding finnish sauna natural beauty yoga retreat vegan options tranquil setting other guests beautiful lake full moon studio cabin winter retreat power lines
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I will keep going back for sure. Quiet peaceful place, friendly staff and amazing food. Clean, comfortable accommodations had me sleeping like a baby. When I close my eyes I can hear the water dripping from my paddle as it gently lifts from the water and the loons calling in that unique way that they do. I can smell the fragrant cooking and the way that my mouth starts salivate in preparation. I feel the soft quiet breeze on my face as I sit on the dock and stare out at the lake. I can see the vivid colours of the sunrise on the misty lake. Truly a place of deep peace with incredible people.
Now those are memories I will hang on to...

Date of stay: October 2012
1  Thank Peace-believer
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2015

As relaxed as melted butter! You might have spent a bit too much time in the sauna. Be sure to jump in the lake and bring your core temperature back down. We wouldn't want you to have an oily mess to clean in your car when it's time to head home.

Thank you for sharing how your visit helped you slow down and appreciate nature.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I went to the Edge for the Explorer's Cabin and had a great time! It was so lovely to get back to nature, there's nothing like looking at the stars so far away from the light pollution of the city. (How romantic!) The facilities were well kept, the staff was very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable about everything I asked them. The food was great too! (Thanks Greg) I love how they try to use local food and think it's great they use solar power. All around great experience and looking forward to booking my next trip.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jillian G

Thank you for your review Gillian. The Explorer's Cabin experience is a nice way to experience Algonquin Park with a bit more comfort than an overnight canoe adventure.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Did the Labor Day Weekend Wolf Howl Canoe trip. Excellent guides (Kim and Jeff). Extrememly knowledgeable of canoeing, camping, animals, plants, stars, etc. Relaxed trip were participants decided how much or little we wanted to do (including cooking and clean up). Spent the weekend on the lake with no other crew within sight or sound. Wonderful!

Room tip: Ask Jeff to do one of his animal calls. Take advantage of the wonderful sauna.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2015

Thank you!
Some times of the year are great for exploring Algonquin Park without a lot of other folks around. Even when the park is busy it seems quite remote and special. In the fall, it's quiet and it seems we have thousands of square miles all to ourselves . . . aside from the wildlife of course.

cheers,

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I've been to the Edge many times participating in the shamanic programs. As soon as I arrived I knew this was my home away from home. I had found my shamanic family. Martha and the circle of facilitators she has trained are all highly skilled shamanic practitioners, heart-centred and integrity based. Martha and Todd are warm, loving hosts. The Edge, with its solar powered heart, is not just a retreat centre, it is a way of life, inviting you to live in balance with the land and Mother Earth. The food lovingly prepared by Greg is divine, tailored for every diet from vegan or gluten free to complete omnivores like me! The cabins nestled in the woods are pristine with comfy beds. Kawawaymog Lake is lovely for swimming, canoeing, paddleboarding or kayaking with everything you need right there. When you come out you can go directly to the Finnish sauna, Grandmother Cedar House. Tripping into Algonquin Park is a fantastic experience and right across the lake from the Edge. What are you waiting for??

Todd L, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2016

Thank you for your recommendation Jan.
We love hosting your visits.

Todd

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were unfortunately quite disappointed with out experience here and would not return. The entire reason we booked a trip with Northern Edge was to have an experienced guide to teach us how to camp, be aware of animals, teach our 3 kids (who already love and know a lot about nature and animals) about their environment. Unfortunately our guide was a dud. He was very friendly and nice, but besides from physically showing us the way on the canoes, knew nothing else about camping, had no information about the animals around us and knew nothing about the stars we saw at night or the vegetation around us (who thinks a maple tree is an oak tree?), and had to think hard about which way west was if we were heading north (scary). Although he helped us carry during the portages, we did all the cooking and cleaning at the campsite (often while he helped himself to seconds and thirds) and likewise with the packing up when time to leave. Overall my children (oblivious to such things) had a wonderful time. But as someone who works I felt rather cheated out of the nearly $2700 we forked over for the experience. I felt we "city folks" were given a novice guide just to give him some experience at the sacrifice of our precious vacation time. Too bad--we had high hopes.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank 416beo
toddlesbycanoe, Owner at Northern Edge Algonquin, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Hello Mr. & Mrs. Lloyd.
Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointment with your trip. I am startled to learn of your experience and I look forward to ensuring that such an experience never happens again. I also want you to know that I am incredibly sorry that we did not deliver on our promise to present a meaningful, memorable Algonquin Park experience.
I am available at your convenience to discuss how we can make things right for you and your family. I promise we will go above and beyond your hopes and dreams to ensure you receive the best of care.

Please call 888.383.8320 or email me at todd.lucier@gmail.com to arrange a time to chat.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience with us.